PDA

View Full Version : Puppy dog news

cs
03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I haven't mentioned it here, but here goes.

You guys might know that we have a Lhasa Apso named Sassy. In the last year she has had her share of medical troubles. A lot of started last summer with kidney stones. Well we got that cleared up at no small expense, but hey the wife loves this dog, so what makes her happy makes me happy. Sassy was doing much better, that is until just receantly and she had another bout with stones. This time however it required surgery and she is now minus one kidney. and furthermore she has a liver diesess. The doctor said maybe 12 months. I don't know, we will see.

As it is right now she is back home and healing from the surgery and my wallet is a lot lighter than before.

Chad

Paul Pless
03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Having a seriously sick dog is always heart wrenching. Best wishes as you care for her Chad.

Tristan
03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry to hear your dog is so sick. Yeah, the cost is a worry, but most of all we really care about these furry guys we take into our homes and hearts. We routinely spend more money on the health care of our two dogs and two cats than we have to spend on our two kids. I hope the 12 months is an estimate of the time it will take to get her back to 100% again and not her life expectancy. Milk Thistle (an herb) is helpful for any liver problems. It's inexpensive and harmless (google it). A friend whose dog developed liver cancer put him on milk thistle an got an extra year of health from his little buddy. All best wishes for Sassy's complete recovery.

goodbasil
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Kidney stones. Have you been feeding her dairy products?

Don't you have health insurance?

S.V. Airlie
03-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Small dog big hearts..Big dogs,small hearts..How old is she CS?

cs
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
12 months is how long she is expected to live. And no we don't have pet health insurance. No with dairy products. And she is only 6 years old.

Right now she is laid out sound asleep in the wife's lap.

Chad

Tristan
03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
There are a lot of sites that discuss herbs for liver and kidney problems in dogs. Here's one that discusses liver cancer: http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/herbs-for-cancer.html. Try not to accept the one year estimate. Go for the herbal stuff and hope for the best. All fingers and paws crossed for Sassy's recovery. She's way too young to cross the bridge.

Paul Pless
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Nutritionally speaking, liver and kidney problems in the same dog at the same time create a diliemna in prescribing an appropriate diet for a dog. Its liver condition demand healthy and high quality protein and fats high in healthy omega fatty acids for repair and healthy function; while at the same time poor kidney function wants a very low protein diet. On top of this, both conditions but especially the kidney problem lead to a much reduced appetite, making appropriate pet food decisions even harder.

JayInOz
03-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Having dogs you like pretty much always ends up hurting. I can't afford vets so when their time is up it's up to me. At the moment I have a terrier cross pup five months old and he cracks me up all the time. I have ewes lambing and foxes killing the lambs, so I bring the ewes up close to the house at night. The dog can't see in the long grass so he stands straight up on his back legs all the time. Tonight he could hear the sheep running but couldn't see them, so he's standing up on his hind legs, walking forward with his hackles up and growling- best laugh I've had all day. Right now he's asleep in his kennel- a French oak wine barrel which stands upright and has a little oval entrance cut in the side. A lot of kennel for not much dog:) JayInOz

Iceboy
03-30-2011, 07:03 AM
I feel for you Chad. My wife's border collie mix has been sick with IMHA for the last two months. The vet is surprised she has lasted this long. She doesn't seem to be sufferring but has to have help getting up and doesn't really do much anymore. It's really tough on the wife as this is the first dog she has been able to keep for its entire life.