PDA

View Full Version : The youngest woodworking tool accident competition !

PeterSibley
03-28-2011, 01:14 AM
All this talk of woodworking tool accidents got me thinking .

When I was 5 I was snooping around a building site after school ,trying to work out how it all worked ,how a house was built . In those days in New Zealand builders didn't have Skillsaws ,they used petrol engine powered saw benches and radial arms .

I was mucking around with a sawbench sitting there on the site , all the workers gone .I was trying to work out what it did ,what it was ? A shiny disc of metal with very sharp teeth ,underneath black rubber belts ,''if I pull this what happens?'' .

What happens is the blade rotates and the tip of my right index finger is neatly sliced through the nail just missing the end of the bone ,not completely but at least 2/3 the way .:o A learning experience !

I toddled off to see Mum ,who was an emergency room nurse and used to REAL blood , She taped it up with an elasticised cloth bandage and sent me out to play again .I can't remember crying ,it hurt but I was pretty used to that ! Mum said it was OK so off I went !

seanz
03-28-2011, 01:53 AM
I can beat that.
:)

Hammered my finger at Kindy, must've been all of 4 years old.

Mind you, those petrol engined saw benches sound pretty impressive.

The Bigfella
03-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Nah, mine was a gardening tool..... tried to hack my ring toe off. Damn good scar 50+ years later.

AussieBarney
03-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Beat you all, being chased by my big brother who was trying scare me with a pair of hedge clippers and I put out my hand to stop him. It was bound to happen. He took off the tip of my left thumb. I ended up in hospital where they took some skin off my wrist to repair the damage. To this day I still rub the scar to tell left from right. Age? Three. And I still hate the big mongrel. Always have, always will.

PeterSibley
03-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Beat you all, being chased by my big brother who was trying scare me with a pair of hedge clippers and I put out my hand to stop him. It was bound to happen. He took off the tip of my left thumb. I ended up in hospital where they took some skin off my wrist to repair the damage. To this day I still rub the scar to tell left from right. Age? Three. And I still hate the big mongrel. Always have, always will.

Hmmm ,hedge trimmers ? yep ,hedges are wood .You pass the criteria test !

botebum
03-28-2011, 06:43 AM
... tried to hack my ring toe off ...It's supposed to be rings on fingers and bells on toes (Hey, has anybody seen my Sweet Gypsy Rose?)
Maybe it's a bit different downunder. A little too different:rolleyes:

Doug

S.V. Airlie
03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I've been lucky with tools..no accidents.. The closest I have gotten to an "accident" was stepping on an upturned nail in the barn. I was wearing boots but the nail went through the sole, through my foot, and out the top of the boot. Had to cut the boot off, pull the nail out and core the hole out to clean it. Not fun.. I did get a tetanus shot though.

John Smith
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Does this count? When I was a toddler I got burned by a soldering iron. I still have the scar.

botebum
03-28-2011, 09:09 AM
I almost got killed when my Dad had a tool accident when I was about five or six.
He was splitting wood with a sledge and wedge and failed to check all around first. His first swing hit the clothesline overhead. The sledge came back and smacked him right between the eyes then came down with a glancing blow to dislodge the wedge and send it spinning into his knee. He went down like a 140# sack of bricks.

So how did the 'bum almost get killed?
I giggled.

They found me later hiding in the back corner of the garage.

Doug

OconeePirate
03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
When I was 4 or 5 I hit my sister who would have been 1 or 2 in the nose with a shovel. I had a shovel w/ no handle I was trying to dig a hole with and swinging it kind of like an axe. She leaned into my hole mid swing and got it right across the bridge of her nose. She still has a scar there.

Damage to myself? Busted nails from hammers probably, screwdrivers through hands? That kind of stuff.

My dad was a jeweler so I also burnt myself quite regularly on the torch, lol.

I'm glad I grew up during an era that kids were still indestructible.

John Turpin
03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I tested the sharpness of my dad's plane with my thumb when I was about five. Turns out, it was quite sharp.

Redeye
03-28-2011, 09:28 AM
The sledge came back and smacked him right between the eyes ....

Doug

Similar thing happened to my ex father in law. The head of the sledge hammer came off the shaft on the upswing. He never saw it coming back down.
But that's not a kid's story.

I do have a nice scar on my left thumb from age 5 where the hand saw I was wobbling randomly through a piece of wood came out and bit my knuckle down to the bone.
There are photos of me at age 3.5 nailing down the floor of the new home Dad was building. Even though I had to hold the hammer in two hands I'm pretty sure it involved bashed thumbs...

David G
03-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I already mentioned in the other thread that I hacked a flap open on my ring finger with a hatchet at age 5. I was - unasked and unsupervised - splitting kindling for the fireplace.

botebum
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Jeez Mike! We thought the rumours about you being a hot ass in Northern Europe were fabrications!:D

Doug

Canoez
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Nasty blood-blister on my thumb from holding an 8d nail too close to the head when I was about 6 trying to learn to drive them straight. (The Old Man had given my brother and I a fully equipped work bench for Christmas that year!)

I think there is a reason that the first tool that he'd let us use in the workshop was a broom.

Breakaway
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Building a "go-kart", age 7:

Michael: " Kevin, you hold the nail and I'll bang it in"

Me: "OK."

Three broken fingers

Kevin

Ron Williamson
03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Dad built a pen out of pine 1x8 for our new pup,but the nails were too short(1 1/4" roofing) to hold it together.
The next day when we got home from kindergarten,the dog had knocked one of the top boards off,so Jeff and I used it to play teeter totter by placing it crossways on the next board down on the pen.
I was inside,he was outside and it went well until the 1x8 broke and I raked my right palm over one of those dirty nails.
A secondary infection cost me two weeks in the hospital about a week after the initial visit.
The scar is hard to see,but it's about 2" long.

A couple of years earlier my older sister creased my eyebrow and cheek with a steel snow shovel while "trying to throw some snow,I dint do it on purpose".

R

botebum
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Three broken fingers

KevinI can visualize your Mom patting you on the head and thinking she had a really stupid kid
'Course we all know you grew out of it:D

Doug

Tristan
03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
First accident I remember was when I went into the back lot where there had been a small brush fire. I picked up a burned up piece of a twig. Whoops, not entirely burned up. Hurt like hell, I was about five.

hokiefan
03-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Three broken fingers

Kevin

When in college I worked as a millwright's helper in the local paper mill. One day we were taking off a huge bearing, think 10" shaft. Had this big threaded lock ring we had to break loose by putting a chisel in the slot on the edge and beat with a 3 lb sledge. My mechanic told me to hit it while he held. I tapped it pretty good a few times and he told me to HIT IT. Well crap. I took a good swing, glanced off the end and brushed the back of his hand. I dropped the sledge and said, "Sh!t on this, I'll hold, you hit." He just laughed and picked up the sledge.

Cheers,

Bobby