X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toxophilite
    • Nov 2010

Catch 22

Hello all
    I imagine I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this post but what the heck,I'm not too proud and I'm cyrious if this situation is a dead end

Here's an interesting Catch 22 I'm discovering up here in Canada
    I have a wooden sailboat 25' , that's currently uninsured
    The boat was inexpensive (under $2000) not too old (30 years) seems well made and sound with relatively dry bilges ( a bit of seepage but very minor)
    I do have good woodworking skills and I've been researching surveying a lot
    It has not been surveyed recently (last 10 years)
    It does however need a scrape and bottom paint and maybe a look at the caulking to be safe ,general painting and some work that could better be accomplished on the hard

Howevebr />
    To haulout, one needs insurance (pricey for wooden boats)
    For insurance one needs a recent survey
    For a survey one needs to haulout
    and round and round

If one can only afford to spend money on fixing the boat rather than surveys and pricey insurance so that one can go for a bit of a sail occasionally with a clean and seviced bottom(no jokes please haha) what can one do?
    Is there any way around this?? or other feasible alternatives

I imagine a certain number of people will say if you don't have piles of money you shouldn't have a boat but I refuse to believe sailing is only for the rich or well-heeled

• Larks
    Larks
    • Jul 2007

Catch 22

It may be different in Canada Tox', but check what insurance they are actually referring to, often yards want insurance not necessarily for your boat but for what your boat may do to another boat if it falls over in its stands/props or catches fire causing another vessel, buildings or equipment damage (third party liability???) which should not require a haulout to purchase.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• auscruisertom
      • Mar 2011

Catch 22

Hey Bud Must still be some commercial jettys up the Fraser or Coquitlam better where there is still fishing boats. You need to plan for the right tide organise the surveyor,fenders and boards,scrapers ect.Some of the commercial wharfs will have large beams for the fishing boats to dry out on next to the pylons. Position boat alongside pylons making sure keel is where you want it,little elbow grease ,mother nature will do the rest. Good Luck

Comment

• auscruisertom
        • Mar 2011

Catch 22

Originally posted by auscruisertom
        Hey Bud Must still be some commercial jettys up the Fraser or Coquitlam better where there is still fishing boats. You need to plan for the right tide organise the surveyor,fenders and boards,scrapers ect.Some of the commercial wharfs will have large beams for the fishing boats to dry out on next to the pylons. Position boat alongside pylons making sure keel is where you want it,little elbow grease ,mother nature will do the rest. Good Luck
        And Happy Hauling

Comment

• floatingkiwi
          country member
          • Nov 2008

Catch 22

Obtain or build a trailer and pull her out yourself , at a landing of your choice.
          ..don't judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes..

Comment

• P.L.Lenihan
            Junior Cinq-etoile
            • Oct 2005

Catch 22

Larks has given you all the info you need Toxo. Talk to the yard,friendly like,to find out what the minimun is they require.You may be surprised how cheap it is for the short term.

Best of luck with the fix up and re-launch!

Cheers!

Peter
            Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
            J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Comment

Working...