PDA

View Full Version : Three gallons

Brian Palmer
03-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Just hit that mark at the local blood bank.

60% of people are eligible to donate, but only 5% do.

Brian

Bob Adams
03-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Thank you Brian! I remember how proud I was when I got my first gallon pin....I've got a way to go to catch you though.

Jim Mahan
03-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Good on you, Brian.
I give almost every eight weeks; when I can get away. They keep track, and my last visit was number 30 since I've lived here, but I've been donating since I was eighteen in the military. I haven't kept track since I've moved around a lot. I started when they gave us a steak at the dining hall for donating. We usually got friday afternoon off, too.
The thing I like about donating blood is that it is the one thing you can do that is truely altruistic. They always ask if you want to donate to anyone. I always say no so it can go to whomever.

watson1990
03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you ALL !!!!! I am not allowed to donate ..Between the drugs they use to keep me alive from my kidney transplant to my "little "case of leukemia they don't to see my face anywhere near them !
Thank all who do donate ..It will help the needy...and that may be you sometime in the future and it could be me !!

hokiefan
03-25-2011, 10:20 AM
When I was younger I donated on a regular basis. Red Cross came to work every two weeks and we could just walk out in the parking lot.

Then I gave one time, was sitting there drinking my juice and passed out. They kept me lying down for an hour when I came around, watched me like a hawk. Felt like weak crap all day. Didn't come back for about a year, then got up the nerve to try again. Didn't pass out, but afterwards felt real weak and shocky (don't know if thats the right word, but it covers my feelings). I took that as a sign that I shouldn't anymore. Come to think about it, I ought to discuss it with my doctor next time I go.

Anyway, good on you for giving regularly.

Cheers,

Bobby

htom
03-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Don't understand why they don't. Spice would, but she's too small. I couldn't for years, deferred because of the anticonvulsants I was taking. I got my two gallon pin a while ago, the three should be this year sometime. There are people who've given over thirty gallons.

Hunky Dory
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I started donating in 03 when my sister died from leukimia. I do in her memery. I havn't kept track of how much but I go pretty much every 8 weeks unless I do the double reds then it is 16 weeks. I live a mile away and am self emplyed so it is quite easy for me. You get to know most of the nurses when you are a regular.

marshcat
03-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Try giving platelets if the red cell donations bother you. You sit in the chair longer, but there are almost no after-affects (as long as you don't gash yourself in the next few days). I switched a few years ago and now do exclusively platelets.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ez7K-AFOtt0/TYzU3vA9X8I/AAAAAAAAA4o/KyG36LVN808/s1024/blood.jpeg