PDA

View Full Version : To soy or not to soy, that is the question?

Ted Hoppe
03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I recently embraced Andrew Weils eating for optimum health and tring to do simple fun exercise of walking and ride my bike after meals. I have been slowly moving to changes in my diet that have shown so real promise both medically and given me boosts physiologically. this personal experiment currently is being nearly vegan 5 and 1/2 days a week The diet is quite simple, nothing that has a face or comes from a face (meat, eggs or milk), no enriched flour, no sugar - other than that eat as much as you want. (the rest of the weekend, waffles, bacon, BBQ, lattes, wine, beer, good port and a few nips of Jameson.) Following this diet, I am no longer in the dangerous diabetic range, my allergies have nearly gone, gone is low bad cholesterol, lost midsection bulge and nicely increased my energy.

That said, I miss my cream for my half cup of coffee. I've never embraced soy milk in leu of cream for my coffee.

Got a soy suggestion for for my cream substitution.

B_B
03-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Got a soy suggestion for for my cream substitution.
Some folks use Almond milk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_milk) - doesn't have the 'texture' of soy milk.
I like my coffee black ;)

TimH
03-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I read Soy causes testosterone to be converted to estrogen and is hard to digest.

gibetheridge
03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Vegans need to be aware of the need for B12. Best sources are liver and clams.

Ted Hoppe
03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I'll pick up some almond milk for a taste test. I like the fact that no refrigeration is needed as it might keep some on the boat with my blue bottle coffee.

looks like I'll need oysters and clams once a week... Not bad and sounds like it might encourage more socialization too!

wizbang 13
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
vanilla soy

Dutch
03-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I use almond milk on cereal and toast but its not very good in coffee. I used soy milk for years and have been eating tvp for over 10 years with no ill health effects - still not in need of a mansierre. I use coffee mate for coffee which does have a tiny bit of milk product in it

good for you on your new eating regimen - if only the rest of this country would wake up

Dutch
03-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I like the fact that no refridgeration is needed

I dont think that is the case.

Ted Hoppe
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you embraced this too. For the day to day American, eating right is a challenge. processed enriched flour, sugar enhanced staples, heavy dairy, and hormoned pharma meats are the norm. Much of it taste good initially but not worth the damage it inflicts.

Dutch
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Ted-

Im not a vegan or even a proper vegetarian - still raise my own chickens for eggs - but I give them a good retirement when they stop laying - to me its as much or more a moral choice of what I eat than it is a health choice. I do eat wild caught fish and shell fish. Havent eaten any meat in at least 10 years and dont miss it. I grind grain for home made bread and stay for the most part away from processed foods.

George Ray
03-21-2011, 02:10 PM
We went soy heavy for a year or more and then started getting suggestions from various directions to ease off the soy. We did move away from a reliance on soy. In general the mostly raw/vegan thing is working very well for us.
Starting tomorrow, I am going to be sailing with conventional eaters for a month or more and will not be able to keep up 100% with the new age-ish eating so it will be interesting to see how I feel after going back to semi-conventional diet for a while. I expect I will do the provisioning and be running the galley so that helps a lot. Pretty sure the boat does not have a VitaMix, a GreenStar Juicer, and an Excaliber 9-tray Dehydrator on board.

htom
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Try it. There's also rice milk, and almond milk, and a few others, with various flavors or blends. One of them may suit your taste. I like my coffee black, so can't offer any experience with them as such. I've baked with soy, rice, and almond, in various gluten-free vegan recipes, and they've all worked (in the recipe that called for them) well, and the leftovers on cereal varied (Vanilla Rice Dream perhaps the best for that, to my taste).

Tristan
03-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Also consider that a bit of cream in your coffee ain't going to be the worst thing you could do. Maybe a little "naughty" luxury can help you keep on the straight and narrow otherwise.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I have not tried this but it is an idea I suppose; Coconut milk Personally I learned to drink my coffeee black..no suger! took a while granted I've learned to like it that way.

seanz
03-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I have not tried this but it is an idea I suppose; Coconut milk Personally I learned to drink my coffeee black..no suger! took a while granted I've learned to like it that way.

Great idea! You try it first, then report back.
:)

Ted, I've been drink coffee 'without' for years......you'll get used to it. Soy makes "great" tofu....and that's about it.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Great idea! You try it first, then report back.

Ted, I've been drink coffee 'without' for years......you'll get used to it. Soy makes "great" tofu....and that's about it.WTF..What the hell is your problem? It was a suggestion..Nothing more, just an idea or are you still pissed off at yesterdays' thread where you would not admit that the post you wrote with a quote was about Phillip and not me..,?Grow up...

seanz
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
WTF..What the hell is your problem? It was a suggestion..Nothing more, just an idea or are you still pissed off at yesterdays' thread where you would not admit that the post you wrote with a quote was about Phillip and not me..,?Grow up...

You're almost there, just one more little step.
:D

Enjoy your suntan lotion coffee...........

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ted Hoppe
03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
glad to see this did not turn partisan. the takeaway is real men drink their coffee black. The rest is suntan lotion. If I chose to drink soy, I may develop certain characteristics that may attract unwarranted attention or unsolicited PMs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7MjzVIjPjc8/S6TA79l3u7I/AAAAAAAAB6I/ziEwyGGeevk/s400/man+boobs+guide.jpg

JimD
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
If you like real dairy in your coffee I think you will find, as I did, that there is no satisfactory replacement.

perldog007
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I read Soy causes testosterone to be converted to estrogen and is hard to digest.

Yet it doesn't seem to hurt UFC fighter and vegan Mac Danzig, It might vary from individual to individual.

Breakaway
03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I like coffee black sometimes, but love it with cream. The taste of the cream is only part of the equation. I believe the fat in the milk product "carries" the flavor of the coffee better. Tastes, of course vary, but its similar to the way a lean cut of beef and a well-marbled slab of the same tastes different. Fat carries flavor.

Kevin