PDA

View Full Version : Need Dishwasher Advice

David W Pratt
03-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Our five year old Miele needs a $400 circuit board (Much bad language redacted in the name of civility).
Any advice?
What to look for, what to stay away from?
Thanks in advance.

bobbys
03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Our 5 year old Kenmore blew its circuit board and it was not worth fixing.

As far as i can tell they all have boards sept they still have plain jane ones .

But the plain ones are not deep and do not come in SS.

Our problem is power surges that take out the boards.

I bought a 50 dollar used old DW from a garage sale that works great.

I believe if you go on line the circuit board may be around 130 bucks and if you have knowledge of such things you can replace it.

But then the DW is already 5 years old.

Lew Barrett
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Replacing the Miele is going to be expensive. Are you sure you don't want to bite the bullet?

I just went shopping for appliances for a high end kitchen. We've had a Bosch, which has to be Miele's closest competition, for ten years and it works well, so if you want a quiet European, that's an option. Still the better part of a kilobuck for the basic unit. This time (for the new kitchen) we took a flier on a DCS because it has two drawers and pumps which allow you to do a short load. I also liked the way it loaded. I thought that was a sensible feature. Unless you dislike it though, I'd be inclined to fix the Miele though, since replacing it like for like will cost more than twice as much. Five years is not old for this appliance unless you use it very heavily.

If you do that (run a lot of dishes) you might look into a commercial dish washer. They have the benefit of cycling dishes in ten minutes. Problem there may be footprint. Many brands to shop from, frequently noisier and more expensive, but they do cycle through at jet speed. Make sure you look at general purpose units, not specialized washers made for trays or restaurant fixtures. If you have a lot of dishes to do, this is the way to do them.

As I said, I'd fix the Miele.

Commercial dishwashers (http://www.acitydiscount.com/Commercial-Dishwashers-Sinks-Faucets.1.57106.2.1.htm)

bobbys
03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
We were going to buy a BOSCH but when i found out it vented through the side i worried about the cabinet's warping.

Not sure if that is on all of them or if it would do that or not but with my luck it would.

Breakaway
03-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I replaced the board in a Whirlpool recently. Board cost me 110 bucks and was simple "plug and play" installation. Google up "appliance supplies" for your area and get on the phone with make, model and serial number of the machine.

Kevin

George Jung
03-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I haven't fixed a DW - but suspect, as others said, it's easy enough for diy. I'm fixing more 'stuff' all the time - can't afford not to! And much of it is fairly simple, straight forward.

Google up the repair, there's usually a u-tube showing 'just how'.

BarnacleGrim
03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
$400 sounds steep for a circuit board. I changed the board on an UPO refrigerator, and it was pretty reasonable.

I have an IKEA branded dishwasher. Only problem is that I have to towel dry mugs and cutlery. It's probably an energy saving "feature".

MiddleAgesMan
03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
My 12 year old Bosch doesn't need a thing. Never has.

And it's super duper quiet and leaves everything super duper clean.

One thing it doesn't have is a heating element in the bottom to melt the small plastic items that fall through. I don't know the drying process but it works very well without that element.

willmarsh3
03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd recommend one that runs quietly like my Kitchenaid. I've had it for several years. The only thing I wonder about now is the spots since a ban on phospates in dw detergent went into effect in late 2010 in the US. Perhaps the new dw will be designed to better handle this.

http://www.greenlivingtips.com/blogs/533/Dishwasher-detergent-phosphate-ban.html#

Henning 4148
03-21-2011, 02:37 PM
... shouldn't happen like that with a Miele. Did you talk to the shop that sold it to you? If they say 400,- USD, get a second opinion. Or contact Miele directly and tell them, that you are disappointed, that you had expected a Miele to last longer and ask if they can do something about the repair bill. It may not work, but it is worth a try.

A Miele shouldn't give up after only 5 years under normal conditions. They have a reputation to loose.

Waddie
03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
My 12 year old Bosch doesn't need a thing. Never has.

And it's super duper quiet and leaves everything super duper clean.

One thing it doesn't have is a heating element in the bottom to melt the small plastic items that fall through. I don't know the drying process but it works very well without that element.

I can second the Bosch. Very quiet and the most reliable on the market.

regards,
Waddie

Dan McCosh
03-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Had a Sears Kenmore for maybe 20 years. No repairs at all, runs great, very quiet. Probably made in China now.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Siemens - seems to work just fine.

Hated the Miele cutlery rack thing.

Can you still get dishwasher powder? - It's gone from UK supermarkets and been replace by silly tablet things, sometimes with balls!
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/2/10/1265832675909/reckitt-benkiser-product--001.jpg

Tracey
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I can second the Bosch. Very quiet and the most reliable on the market.
Love our Bosch, after a very bad time of it with a KitchenAid.
Check the Miele website first. We had the circuit board in our Bosch recalled just after it burnt out- and thankfully before we called in for repair.

Tracey
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Can you still get dishwasher powder? - It's gone from UK supermarkets and been replace by silly tablet things, sometimes with balls!
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/2/10/1265832675909/reckitt-benkiser-product--001.jpg

These actually work well, but I prefer the type not individually wrapped, some sort of gel that its wrapper melts in the wash.

purri
03-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Dishwasher? Oh I get it, you mean a machine!

Breakaway
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
The older machines had a lot going for them. I mean, they were noisy, but dead simple for most DIY/Homeowner types to troubleshoot and fix and with parts available at a good hardware store. Something to be said for that, despite the noise and lack of of efficiency, and other features.

Kevin

John P Lebens
03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I'f get the board fixed, or buy a Bosch - we have enjoyed our for 7 years without any issues.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Our five year old Miele needs a $400 circuit board (Much bad language redacted in the name of civility).
Any advice?
What to look for, what to stay away from?
Thanks in advance.

I agree with Henning, Contact Miele directly and complain. I sold Miele for quite a few years, and went to Germany to tour the plants. They are are a serious company, and will take your complaint seriously too.

brad9798
03-21-2011, 08:09 PM
A Miele shouldn't give up after only 5 years under normal conditions. They have a reputation to loose.

Folks, these are dishwashers ... REGARDLESS of BRAND NAME ... the manufacturers are simply trying to MAXIMIZE profits ...

I have a GE PROFILE that still works perfectly after eight (8) years ( and I know I overpaid for that, as well ... succumbed to what I am lambasting, basically ... and it was MUCH less than the MIELE!

BOSCH is also 'French' for "I paid twice too much!" Or, perhaps, German. ;)

Guys ... dishwashers are like CD and/or DVD and/or BLUERAY players ... not a nickels' worth of difference except in 'reputation...'

I just do not get how gullible folks are with regard to 'brand' names!

elf
03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't understand what's wrong with washing dishes by hand. Do you throw lots of parties for groups of 15 or more?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-21-2011, 08:24 PM
You cannot wash the number of dishes a dishwasher washes, as well, or with as little water, as a modern dishwasher can. The Miele dishwashers can wash 10 place settings in about 18 litres of water. The Germans are experts in water consumption in applicance manufacturing because of the cost of water in Europe.

BrianW
03-21-2011, 08:27 PM
You cannot wash the number of dishes a dishwasher washes, as well, or with as little water, as a modern dishwasher can.

Interesting, and comforting factoid!

Our Bosch (yes, the same one from the last time we did this topic) is running just fine, for several years now.

brad9798
03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
You cannot wash the number of dishes a dishwasher washes, as well, or with as little water, as a modern dishwasher can. The Miele dishwashers can wash 10 place settings in about 18 litres of water. The Germans are experts in water consumption in applicance manufacturing because of the cost of water in Europe.

AGREED, PMJ ... but they charge at least twice as much for the same service with our CHEAP water here in the US!

;)

Ian McColgin
03-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I think Peter is right. If you're overpopulating the earth with you family of ten kids, you might at least reduce the impact with a modern dishwasher. Those of us who live in smaller units, especially we who live on boats with that minimal amount of spare electricity, will just have to make do with the dishwasher that runs silent, or not depending on mood and sometimes I'm pretty moody.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Miele build their appliances to last 20 years. When I asked their vice president of operations (effectively he was in charge of European sales, which for Miele is about 2 billion deustchmarks)
what their biggest fear from their competition, he replied "Our biggest fear is that someone will be able to duplicate our quality at half what we spend on quality control". Miele spends roughly 18-22% of manufacturing cost on quality control.

I have a Miele washer and dryer, which is now about 16 years old. It will launder about 14 pounds of clothes. A complete cycle is one wash cycle and 4 rinses, and it uses 14 gallons of water. A top load washer does about 16 pounds of laundry, and uses 30 gallons of water.

Ask a German what they think of a 40 gallon hot water tank, and they will give you incredulous looks. Nobody in Europe would devote the space for the tank, and pay for the electricity for storing that much hot water statically

StevenBauer
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
David, does the $400 cover installation or is that just your cost for the board? I've found with online help that appliance repair has never been easier. With a few tools and a multimeter there are websites that will walk you through the diagnosis then sell you the needed parts with step by step instructions. I fixed the 'fridge, dishwasher and washing machine. Feels good when you can do it yourself and you save some serious cash, too.

Steven

brad9798
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
They would REALLY be mad at my 50-gallon tank, then!

:eek:

:(

Chip-skiff
03-22-2011, 12:11 AM
We also installed a Bosch. Five years, no problems whatsoever.

Knock on wood.

varadero
03-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Folks, these are dishwashers ... REGARDLESS of BRAND NAME ... the manufacturers are simply trying to MAXIMIZE profits ...

I have a GE PROFILE that still works perfectly after eight (8) years ( and I know I overpaid for that, as well ... succumbed to what I am lambasting, basically ... and it was MUCH less than the MIELE!

Guys ... dishwashers are like CD and/or DVD and/or BLUERAY players ... not a nickels' worth of difference except in 'reputation...'

Miele is not your branded mass produced product made in Korea. It is definately worth contacting Miele about the problem. I would also check the power source before installing another high end machine.

bobbys
03-22-2011, 02:39 AM
I need a surge protector breaker, We lost the DW the Furnace and Oven circuit boards to the power surges.

It would not have mattered one wit if the appliances were made out of gold ,The boards are pretty much made the same and susceptible to surges..

We never had appliances with C Boards before and our Panel is filled up and to add a separate surge protector is mucho bucks..

Note when building or remodeling add one if possible.

David W Pratt
03-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks to all.
As usual the WBF is a goldmine of information. We went to Sears, found a $450 washer, plus extended warranty, installation, etc, came to $800 and wouldn't have a cherry front panel to match the rest of the pantry.
The Admiral was so bummed she girded her loins and called Miele. Net, net, she negotiated a new board for $00.00.Yippee!
We entertain probably once a week, not 15+ but thiose dessert plates, salad plates, water glasses, etc. do mount up.
I love happy endings.

john l
03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
my previous bosch dishwasher had a circuit board problem. i called the repair man and he opened it and showed me where a solder connection on the board
had gone bad. he pulled out his solder iron, fired it up and resolder it. was in an out in 45 minutes and about $75 later. about 5 years after that it failed again.
the next repair man wasn't as skilled and told me a new board would be about $400 installed. only got about 8 or 9 years out of that dishwasher. we used the dishwasher at least twice a day back then due to 3 kids and all the meals. the previous kitchen aid lasted a long time but wasn't used that much. this time, about 3
years ago, i bought a very basic bosch again in SS at sears on sale for about $450. it's quiet, and like all bosch makes very hot washing with a minimum of water and
energy. this one is only getting 1x a day use.

brad9798
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Miele is not your branded mass produced product made in Korea.

Maybe not made in Korea ... but typical, mass-produced ALL THE WAY!

Stop kidding yourself, sir!

B_B
03-22-2011, 04:44 PM

Maybe not made in Korea ... but typical, mass-produced ALL THE WAY!
Stop kidding yourself, sir!

I searched the forum for your views on Toyota, seems they've disappeared. ;)

B_B
03-22-2011, 04:47 PM
The Admiral was so bummed she girded her loins and called Miele. Net, net, she negotiated a new board for $00.00.Yippee!

I love happy endings.
Excellent outcome! Congratulations!

The circuit board on our LG stove is toast - I called them up last October and they offered to replace it gratis. But it's on back order. Still waiting.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all.
As usual the WBF is a goldmine of information. We went to Sears, found a $450 washer, plus extended warranty, installation, etc, came to $800 and wouldn't have a cherry front panel to match the rest of the pantry.
We entertain probably once a week, not 15+ but thiose dessert plates, salad plates, water glasses, etc. do mount up.
I love happy endings.

Good news, but I am not surprised. I went on a complete tour of just about all the Miele factories, and met with senior staff, including Mr Miele himself. These guys take their business extremely seriously. Glad it turned out for you.

BrianW
03-22-2011, 06:05 PM
We entertain probably once a week, not 15+ but thiose dessert plates...

Say no more! We will be by to help out with dish cleaning soon. ;)

George Jung
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
... the best time would be, oh, 1/2 hour before your next party?

We like to get a jump on things!

(Call early / often; we're yer friends!)

brad9798
03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
You are correct, Braam Berrub ... toyoda is disappearing ... with all the sorrow in japan ...

could not happen to better people!

Is THAT the answer you sought, braaaaaaam ... if so, you are a sick f---!