PDA

View Full Version : Lordy, it must be Spring

ishmael
03-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Reading through the threads this morning I sense a shift in temperment. People seem more willing to listen, and less likely to take pot shots at each other. Spring brings on a more joyous mood. All hail the god of the sun.

TomF
03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
The river broke up on the weekend. So nice to see the wet kind of water under the bridge, for the first time in months.

Tom Montgomery
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
The temperature is 74 degrees Farenheit and the daffodils and wild violets are in bloom.

TomF
03-21-2011, 01:30 PM
The temperature is 74 degrees Farenheit and the daffodils and wild violets are in bloom.Ha! Not here!

Good thing too. There's too much snow still in the forests and in the high ground of the Saint John River watershed; if we had a fast melt, we'd see some major flooding over the next few weeks. With luck, we'll keep on with gently warming days, and cold nights for a few weeks yet.

Gotta say though, I can hardly wait for the spring bulbs. Winter's felt really long this year.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Rain and cold..supposed to snow later..The Lamb has not made an appearance yet...

T.W.
03-21-2011, 02:23 PM
I work at spinoff company in a university campus, its nice to see people frisbeeing and picknicking outside again.
Pity I can't join in though...

ishmael
03-21-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm under no illusion that winter has had it's last shot. I've seen snow, a lot of snow, the first week in April. Yet winter is on the run! Gotta love it! Spring tempers and fibers the blood, and makes us ready again for the toils of summer.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Ish in Cooperstown, farmers do not even plant until Memorial Day

ishmael
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I hear ya Jamie. It's snowing right now, though I haven't heard a forecast today.

I went to university in a little town in central Ohio named Granville. It was settled, mid 19th century, by farmers fleeing New England. There had been a summer that wasn't, and a bunch of people pulled stakes and moved to the Midwest.

I'm trying to think what caused that cold summer, maybe solar variation?

SMARTINSEN
03-21-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to think what caused that cold summer, maybe solar variation?
A big volcano, April, 1816.

In Danville, Vermont the newspaper reports: “On the night of the 7th and morning of the 8th a kind of sleet or exceedingly cold snow fell, attended by high wind, and measured in places where it drifted 18 to 20 inches in depth. Saturday morning (8th of June) the weather was more severe than it generally is in the winter.” Standing water froze as far south as Philadelphia and in northern Vermont the ice was an inch thick. Even the ground started to freeze!

From: http://www.hewitts.com/Hewitts_Home/The_Summer_that_Never_Was.html