PDA

View Full Version : think I'll do bees tomorrow

Phillip Allen
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
medication and check for swarm cells (some have begun to roost outside the hive...bad sign this time of year)

botebum
03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
medication and check for swarm cells (some have begun to roost outside the hive...bad sign this time of year)Can you explain a bit further? I don't know squat about bees but I'm curious. Bees roost? Didn't know that. Why is this a bad sign this time of year? What's a swarm cell?

Doug

Bobby of Tulsa
03-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Last year, bees swarmed my humming bird feeder. Never have seen that before. Have you?

Phillip Allen
03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Last year, bees swarmed my humming bird feeder. Never have seen that before. Have you?

I'll bet it was hot weather...

Joe Dupere
03-20-2011, 07:36 PM
It was finally warmish enough and dry enough to try looking into my two hives today. One of them didn't make it, looks like they starved even though there was plenty of honey left. The other hive looked like it was doing pretty well. I gave them some more honey frames. I'll most likely order another nuc to replace the hive that didn't make it. This is the first time though, that I've had a hive make it through the winter so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Joe, FFPoP

Phillip Allen
03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Can you explain a bit further? I don't know squat about bees but I'm curious. Bees roost? Didn't know that. Why is this a bad sign this time of year? What's a swarm cell?

Doug
yes, they roost...at night they form a tight or loose ball in the center of the nest depending on the temperature...as the hive gets more bees durning the season there is less and less room inside and they create a lot of heat...the brood needs a fairly constant temperature of about 95 degrees...some of the heat (in hot weather) can be dealt with by many of the bees hanging in beards on the outside of the hive...it is not hot weather yet and they shouldn't be crowded yet...if they are getting ready to swarm they will be building up bee count and other things... hence roosting outside...it's time to actually check

botebum
03-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks. I actually get it now. Cool.

Doug

Bobby of Tulsa
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
It looked really strange, the feeder was completely covered.

Phillip Allen
03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
sounds like a real swarm and nothing to do with the feeder other than a place to land

they may land anywhere from your feeder to fence posts or branches or anything at all...the queen lands to rest and the rest fogs in to keep her company

Bobby of Tulsa
03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I thought it must be something like that. I just let them Bee.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
It was finally warmish enough and dry enough to try looking into my two hives today. One of them didn't make it, looks like they starved even though there was plenty of honey left. The other hive looked like it was doing pretty well. I gave them some more honey frames. I'll most likely order another nuc to replace the hive that didn't make it. This is the first time though, that I've had a hive make it through the winter so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Joe, FFPoP Joe if the hive had plenty of food and the bees died..I'd be careful of replacing a nuc in that hive..Get it inspected first before adding a new nuc...just in case...

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Joe if the hive had plenty of food and the bees died..I'd be careful of replacing a nuc in that hive..Get it inspected first before adding a new nuc...just in case...

I think it's fairly common for hives to starve if it gets cold enough. the bees get so cold that they cannot move to cover the honey...there could be several causes for this: too weak (not enough bees), poorly distributed honey (not close enough to the bees once the ball shrinks in bitter weather) or the commencement of egg laying due to an early warm spell

Spin_Drift
03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Phillip, it was wonderful yo watch you work with your bees when Cass & I were there.

Would you believe I still have some of your bee's honey left. It's so special I only use it on occasional cup of tea and I think of you and your hospitality and kindness every time I have some of your honey :):D

Here you are :)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/1241567306.jpg

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Very true..No mention about the number of bees. The only comment Joe posted was there appeared to be enough honey.. I just did not want him to put a new nuc in the hive before he had the hive checked out..Call it a precaution...I would think he has worked on bees enough to check the honey distribution in the hive too which was one of your thoughts...Also the cold winter...
Can't disagree with you Phillip but, there may have been an occurrence not mentioned above.. that killed them..No sense in guessing what might have happened and taking a chance...

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
HEY!!! Who's that fat ole guy getting into my bee hives???

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
You're over dressed..Phillip...:D:D:D
Hey Phillip, ever tried to get comb honey using the discs? I tried once..big let down...

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Very true..No mention about the number of bees. The only comment Joe posted was there appeared to be enough honey.. I just did not want him to put a new nuc in the hive before he had the hive checked out..Call it a precaution...I would think he has worked on bees enough to check the honey distribution in the hive too which was one of your thoughts...Also the cold winter...
Can't disagree with you Phillip but, there may have been an occurrence not mentioned above.. that killed them..No sense in guessing what might have happened and taking a chance...

I suppose... mites or disease...some moulds can cause disease but it's the disease is the killer
starvation can be seen in the form of many dead bees in the open cells, head first

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Phillip..it's been 20 yrs since I had hives..What if any is the update on the die offs.. I bought honey hast week at Stop and Shop..Not even a big jar and it was 7 bucks.. And to think how much I gave away..

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Phillip..it's been 20 yrs since I had hives..What if any is the update on the die offs.. I bought honey hast week at Stop and Shop..Not even a big jar and it was 7 bucks.. And to think how much I gave away..

I used to be president of the North West Arkansas Beekeepers Assoc...but I certainly am not up to date...that was near 15 years ago. I DO know where to look for info or help around here though :)

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:35 PM
I was curious and just asking...If I build on my land sometime I want to get back into it. 80 acres and no neighbors to complain..Not that my neighbors would..Not from the city whichsays a lot....And heads in the cells is the way to tell starvation..Again, another point Joe did not mention...Did you miss the question on comb honey and using discs in the frames?

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
one of my friends used the "Ross Rounds"...I have never tried. They're supposed to be pretty hard to use and only a method of marketing anyhow

and I'm NOT over dressed...I've done it in shorts and t-shirt but never without a way of keeping them outa my nose

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I tried them too same result..in other wods, a waste of time and in a way a waste of space..And certainly a waste of honey..The bees just created comb all the way around the discs and getting those discs out was a pain in the butt.

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't even like comb honey...lots of folks do but take comb honey and save the wax then melt it and see what floats to the top...maybe it won't hurt you but I don't want to eat that stuff no mater how much one my honey-coat it

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Phillip..I was teasing when I said you were over dressed..I've worn less than you are..but I too never wore gloves..Hated killing bees by putting my hand on them and the pheromones given off just rile them up...

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Phillip..I was teasing when I said you were over dressed..I've worn less than you are..but I too never wore gloves..Hated killing bees by putting my hand on them and the pheromones given off just rile them up...

yep

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
GARRR! I only had to life one honey full deep super...I can't do it any more...it was too heavy for me...maybe I can switch to medium supers...

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
At the most, I onlt used supers..ma be two at the most..yhe rest were medium.. I had more trouble with locust bloosoms hat seemed to have created a huge amount of crystalized sugar..Love the locusts but...

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Phillip quedtion..what % of jarred "clover honey"
has to acceptable to make up clover honey with a label saying it is? Always wondered about that...Yes, one can remove the honey by season but there has to be some method used to determine how much clover honey is acceptable..And then determining that is another question..?
Any honey I either gave away or sold, never labeled the product as any tpe..Just "raw" honey.. take it or leave it.

Phillip Allen
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Phillip quedtion..what % of jarred "clover honey"
has to acceptable to make up clover honey with a label saying it is? Always wondered about that...Yes, one can remove the honey by season but there has to be some method used to determine how much clover honey is acceptable..And then determining that is another question..?
Any honey I either gave away or sold, never labeled the product as any tpe..Just "raw" honey.. take it or leave it.
the only way I know of telling what sort of honey you have is circumstantial...put your hives in the middle of 100 acres of apples...apple honey

perhaps it would be something to prove was NOT as labeled
I know a guy who sells through the local organic, greenie, earth-hugger and enlightened, beautiful people...his labels have a local address...I also know his honey comes from South Dakota...the address is correct but he doesn't mention where the stuff comes from and he has a VERY loyal following who tell me they buy from him because local honey has properties to keep them healthier. a nice gimmick really