PDA

View Full Version : Davis Released

Ian McColgin
03-16-2011, 11:18 AM
In accordance with Pakistani law, the families of the men Davis killed have accepted blood money and hes pardoned.

He should be fired, freeing him to write his version of what a hero he is, option the screen rights, and have an actor with no conscience like Tom Cruise take the lead. Retire rich.

BrianW
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I wonder what happened to Syed's thread?

In any case, that's not an acceptable practice in most western nations (blood money.) While I'm sure it was an excuse for a probable release anyhow, one could argue that "when in Rome"...

Phillip Allen
03-16-2011, 12:21 PM
has anyone here in the land of the free already judged him without trial?

surly not

Ian McColgin
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Davis has not been "judged without a trial" in this country. Public acts by public people get commented on, judged, debated and such all the time and that should not prevent one from respecting the relevant laws whether they be our laws, which so far as I can see don't cover Davis in this instance, or Pakistan's, which do. He's been found guilty and pardoned. That's a fact.

To mount a tepid defense by pretending that to have an opinion about the guy killing two people - that much is not in dispute anyway - is tantamount to judging the man in criminal court is both an utterly false analogy and a way of evading the fact that it's a cover for the opposite private judgement.

I actually expected that more people would be offended by my aspersions on Tom Cruise.

adampet
03-16-2011, 01:10 PM
"CIA contractor ( or Embassy Staffer, take your pick) shot dead by two men on a motorcycle on Pakistan" is the headline that wasn't written because Davis shot in self defense. How outraged would the WBF be then?

Adam

Iceboy
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
"I actually expected that more people would be offended by my aspersions on Tom Cruise."
I liked that part.

Phillip Allen
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Davis has not been "judged without a trial" in this country. Public acts by public people get commented on, judged, debated and such all the time and that should not prevent one from respecting the relevant laws whether they be our laws, which so far as I can see don't cover Davis in this instance, or Pakistan's, which do. He's been found guilty and pardoned. That's a fact.

To mount a tepid defense by pretending that to have an opinion about the guy killing two people - that much is not in dispute anyway - is tantamount to judging the man in criminal court is both an utterly false analogy and a way of evading the fact that it's a cover for the opposite private judgement.

I actually expected that more people would be offended by my aspersions on Tom Cruise.
"King's X"

LeeG
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
has anyone here in the land of the free already judged him without trial?

surly not

Surly is a brand of bicycle

http://homepage.mac.com/mikesimagination/bikepages/bikes/Resources/surly2.jpg

hanleyclifford
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
In accordance with Pakistani law, the families of the men Davis killed have accepted blood money and he’s pardoned.

He should be fired, freeing him to write his version of what a hero he is, option the screen rights, and have an actor with no conscience like Tom Cruise take the lead. Retire rich. I would be more inclined to describe the payment as "ransom" rather than "blood money". Ian, I think your broadside is a little premature. Let's wait until he gets back to this country and tells the story before we throw his fate to the mercies of Tom Cruise and Hollywood. Anybody remember the Phoenix Program?

Syed
03-16-2011, 08:00 PM
In accordance with Pakistani law, the families of the men Davis killed have accepted blood money and hes pardoned.

Manipulation of Sharia Law, good if it goes in your favour. Details will surface soon, how the families were persuaded to make a deal.

BrianW
03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Manipulation of Sharia Law, good if it goes in your favour. Details will surface soon, how the families were persuaded to make a deal.

I suspect your right.

RodSBT
03-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Considering the rumor that the guys shot were Pak. intel. following him, would make sense the Pak./US. gov. would lean on their families to help sweep the matter under the rug.

Lew Barrett
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Today the news as reported by NPR was that the families were paid a combined 2.3 million and issued US passports. The State Department denied that blood money was paid, but this is a case where I am prone to believe their lips were moving and I can imagine that flames were engulfing their trousers as well.

My take, without knowing any better, is that if he defended himself from threat of deadly force, Davis did what he had to do and perhaps what I'd have done in the same circumstance. If there are more details, we may never know them unless he does actually "write his book." If it was "spy vs spy" it may take some time to sort out, eh?

It was reported that he was there without express authority/permission as an agent, was he not (I may have the terminology a bit skewed here)? A tough patch for him but in the end he got off easy, I think.