PDA

View Full Version : confessions of a recovering op-ed columnist

George Jung
03-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Frank Rich is leaving the editorial staff of the Times, and his farewell column is a good read, offering some interesting insights not only into his mindset, but that of the business. An excerpt:

Safire, a master of the form, was fond of likening column writing to standing under a windmill: No sooner did you feel relief that you had ducked a blade than you looked up and saw a new one coming down. He thrived on this, but after 17 years I didnít like what the relentless production of a newspaper column was doing to my writing. That routine can push you to have stronger opinions than you actually have, or contrived opinions about subjects you may not care deeply about, or to run roughshod over nuance to reach an unambiguous conclusion. Believe it or not, an opinion writer can sometimes get sick of his own voice.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/opinion/13rich.html?hp

I thought that rather good, and immediately thought of the Bilge, and writing styles here. Insights. Always nice to see them.

blindbrook
03-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Interesting, thanks for bringing it to my attention

elf
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
The Times really lost my respect with the Iraq affair. Since then I've been very careful not to take it as the word of anything.

George Jung
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM
That's curious;

what do you use as your primary news source? I'd be interested in any that are batting 1.000

George Jung
03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Good choices, though I was directing at elf.... not important, really.

The comments on the NYTimes, though, I have to disagree. Any news source is simply a conglomeration of a group of writers, changing over time. I'd imagine who is hired depends on the bent of who's running the show at that time. I've noticed less bias of late, and CNN seems positively conservative, compared to where they were 5 - 10 years ago.

OTOH, maybe it's me that's changing....