PDA

View Full Version : Drat...I'm gonna have to go hunting in my attic

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 05:10 AM
whatever it is, it is loud. It seems likely it is coons. NOt easy to kill without shooting them (and shooting them makes holes in my house)...and they need to be killed quickly to prevent blood from spoiling the ceiling...Drat!

JayInOz
03-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Had a rat go galloping across the roof a couple of nights ago while we were watching TV. It went across the house roof, onto the verandah roof, then the shed, then the woodshed and then into the cotoneaster tree and then there was a bang and now the rat is inside one of my pythons. He shoulda had a plan B :d JayInOz

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Just went to check again...it's tearing something up and I can't get at it right now

bobbys
03-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Check for Zombies this time of night, Use a gun and make sure you go for a head shot, I have watched a lot of Zombie movies and have seen people wasting their ammo on chest shots and warning shots..

Do NOT enter confined spaces when they are about , They are slow but can overwhelm you with numbers..

Glad i could help....

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Check for Zombies this time of night, Use a gun and make sure you go for a head shot, I have watched a lot of Zombie movies and have seen people wasting their ammo on chest shots and warning shots..

Do NOT enter confined spaces when they are about , They are slow but can overwhelm you with numbers..

Glad i could help....

there IS a graveyard bordering my back yard

skuthorp
03-12-2011, 06:06 AM
there IS a graveyard bordering my back yard

Ah, it's just the ex-relations coming to visit Phillip.

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Ah, it's just the ex-relations coming to visit Phillip.

I don't mind em...they're quiet

seanz
03-12-2011, 06:12 AM
(and shooting them makes holes in my house)

I respect your superior knowledge and extensive experience.

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 06:16 AM
I respect your superior knowledge and extensive experience.

I might try some of that "rat" shot for .22's...I'm sure it would hurt like hell and not make em bleed too much (#12 shot...like petunia seeds)...kind of herd them out of the hole without doing too awful much damage to the house

seanz
03-12-2011, 06:19 AM
What if it's "giant mice"?

If you shoot them, you'll just make them mad.

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 06:21 AM

If you shoot them, you'll just make them mad.

it's possible...I could lose badly to the sounds of mousekacheers

Ron Williamson
03-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Be careful.
Coons are fast and tricky.
They'll steal your keys and have you out on the street.
R

skuthorp
03-12-2011, 06:43 AM

You haven't had any radiation leaks round your way lately?

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 06:44 AM

I used to work on a nuclear submarine...I may have tracked some zoomies in on my shoes

seanz
03-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I stopped having problems with radiation years ago......sat further back from TV and the Saturday morning cartoons

Stiletto
03-12-2011, 04:47 PM
When you finally shoot it, make sure you can retrieve the body. The only thing worse than animals in the roof cavity is dead animals in the roof cavity.

I reckon you should make up a special load just for this creature.

Once it is done, figure out where it got in and block it up!

delecta
03-12-2011, 04:56 PM
I heard, if you put a strobe light up there they will leave. Not quite as much fun as shooting them but.....

gibetheridge
03-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Live traps work very well. Bait it with a small can of cat food and you won't have to find the coon, he will find the trap. No holes in the house, no rotting carcass.

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/catalog/1079.jpg

Barry
03-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Glad i could help....

Never, never, ever forget the "DOUBLE TAP".

JayInOz
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
I might try some of that "rat" shot for .22's...I'm sure it would hurt like hell and not make em bleed too much (#12 shot...like petunia seeds)...kind of herd them out of the hole without doing too awful much damage to the house

Philip at close range- like a few inches- rat shot makes one hole just like a .22 bullet. I used to use heaps of it shooting rats in our grain sheds. I used to tape a small torch under the rifle barrel with a chock under the back to get it pointing parallel to the barrel. Then just have to get them in the torch beam and bang. But I still needed to turn on the shed light. Using just the torch beam you usually only catch a glimpse and it's too late to shoot. It used to be fun bein me:) JayInOz

seanz
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Live traps work very well. Bait it with a small can of cat food and you won't have to find the coon, he will find the trap. No holes in the house, no rotting carcass.

]

But what about the Zombies? Do live traps work on the undead?

Phillip Allen
03-12-2011, 09:21 PM

http://www.thetoolstore.ca/catalog/1079.jpg

borrowed one from the neighbors...might be a couple of days before I set it up...gotta repair it first

bobbys
03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
But what about the Zombies? Do live traps work on the undead?.

My experience has been to use Hickory flavored Spam as bait for Zombies but never use Garlic flavored as they are repulsed by the Garlic..

What is nice about it is one can cut a slice and fry it with eggs then use the rest for bait, Sure sometimes they cut their arm off and one can have a miss but seeing the bait gone and the trap sprung you just know they were there...

http://www.spam.com/ASSETS/7E33C284C9BA4E999A2F8BF724B9EC71/6218.jpg