PDA

View Full Version : Coffee is good for (some of) you!

George Jung
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
A bit of a brightener; I've followed these stories for years - one says 'yes', the other, 'no'.

Women who enjoy a daily dose of coffee may like this perk: It might lower their risk of stroke.
Women in a Swedish study who drank at least a cup of coffee everyday had a 22 to 25 percent lower risk of stroke, compared to those who drank less coffee or none at all.

“Coffee drinkers should rejoice,” said Dr. Sharonne N. Hayes, a cardiologist at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. “Coffee is often made out to be potentially bad for your heart. There really hasn’t been any study that convincingly said coffee is bad.”
Omaha World Herald

The astute reader will note the study says nothing about coffees effect on men. The implications are multiple.

Bruce Taylor
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I've followed these stories for years

The ups and downs of Newspaper Epidemiology, eh? :D About when I became a caffeine-based life form, there were all sorts of scare stories about pancreatic cancer. Lately, the "news" has been mostly good. It's a kickass antioxidant, it defers dementia, and now it protects my wimmins from having a stroke! :cool: I think I'll double my intake.

hokiefan
03-11-2011, 10:48 PM
The day my daughter was born, my coffee intake doubled. Hasn't changed much since then. Gotta die of something. :d I like it and it doesn't make me an idiot like alcohol. I can live with that, time for a cup BTW.

Cheers,

Bobby

TimH
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
coffee is a "gateway drug" :)

George Jung
03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
There's a 'Green Coffee Club' online; these guys really like their coffee, buy raw beans in bulk/divide 'em, roast 'em. Special grinders, exotic ways to brew it. Have a forum not so different from this one, but no politics - they argue over coffee. Seemed a bit extreme...

Gonzalo
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
coffee is a "gateway drug"So is milk! We all started on that!