PDA

View Full Version : Something stupid to argue about, bicycle helmets

switters
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
I ride to work at least once a week, more depending on weather. Most of the time I wear an 18 year old helmet just so I dont get scolded by co-workers and ex-wives. I don't think that for the type of riding I do, which is slow, that it would really do me much good. So sometimes I dont.

I think a lot has to do with where you ride and riding style. No bike messenger type maneuvers in traffic for this old man, and 12 MPH is as fast as I go on the upright. I stop at lights, and have a route that is bike trail, designated bike lane or residential streets. The only time I really feel the need is when riding on snow/ice.

Do I need to wear a bike helmet this summer or not?

leikec
03-11-2011, 12:14 PM
I never wear one...despite constant nagging from my wife on the subject. She's probably right.

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Switters I disagree wholeheartedly.. It is dependent on the other car reguardless as to what it is ( the speed, the road etc. )..A good friend was thrown into a guard rail by a hay wagon. Has really never been the same since the accident although he did survive. A mother of five was pushed off the road on a one lane bridge..top speed Maybe be 5pmh...Her husband was the neurosurgeon and could not operate..ethics.. she died and left five kids behind

pefjr
03-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I wear one for road biking (over 10/15 mph). Anyone racing should also wear knee and elbow pads. Voluntary, hate those laws!

Brian Palmer
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I always wear one. It's cheap insurance. A co-worker of my wife, about my age, cracked his head ice skating at a pond last winter. Actually had speech and motor impairment on one side that took several months to resolve. I'd rather not be in that situation.

Brian

gibetheridge
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Here it's the law. You wear it, period. The idea is that if you become disabled you become a load on the rest of us. That makes sense to me, as does the seat belt law. I think of it as cooperation.

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
It's like having an accident at home..What is it X% suffer from a home accident of one kind or another? I gave one example of a mother of five probably going 5 mph.. She died... Isn't this under 15 mph?
If in doubt drop a mellon out of the second floor story and look at the results

Phillip Allen
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
they may help at odd times but are mostly a fashion statement for liberals (how's that?)

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
As most know I bicycled roughly 13,000 miles in Europe where a good majority did actually ride bikes and understood the mechanics of riding one.. I never had an accident over there.. I could have if I did something stupid that was unexpected ( although most motorists had a better idea what to expect from a cyclist having been one) but nary a one.. In the US I find that especially now, most reach for the car keys first...forget biking..Therefore have no concept of road behavior...
I don't bike in this country... The first thing I would hear is someone honking the horn..Not good for a bicyclist...

stevebaby
03-11-2011, 01:13 PM
I've worn a helmet for years,although I used to dispense with it on short rides to the local shops,until...
I was just taking off from a driveway which had a very gradual slope where it met the roadway. Left foot on pedal,swing right leg over saddle,right foot on pedal and push down to start riding.That was as far as I got.
Something (I know not what) locked my wheel and I did a 180 endo head first into the road. My speed was too low to estimate since I only managed to move about 6 inches when I flipped.let's say 1-2 mph.
My helmet was split in the front and the impact drove my right elbow into my ribs fracturing a couple of them.I was knocked unconscious,coming to just as the ambulance arrived. The ambulance crew thoughtfully put my bike and helmet in the meat wagon with me,so the neurologist had a chance to examine the helmet. His professional opinion was that, at the very least the helmet prevented a serious brain injury and it was highly likely that it saved my life.

I always wear a helmet now,no matter how slowly I'll be riding or how safe the route. Always,and my kids likewise. It's just second nature for me to put the hemet on now and I just wouldn't feel right without it . Mine is very comfortable and lightweight and a handy platform for an extra rear light. and I've never been bothered by either heat or cold.

"The Helmet Debate" has been raging amongst cyclists ever since helmets were invented. I don't care that much about others wearing a helmet or not,but I'm convinced in favour of them.

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Stevebaby so am I..a personal experience though speaks more than comments from me as I have been lucky not to have ever had an accident.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I wear an old one when biking with my wife, usually on bike trails instead streets or rural roads.

Had a girlfriend some years ago who was very glad she was wearing a helmet when she crashed on a slippery rail of a slatwise railroad and suffered a broken collarbone on her way to work.

I've never crashed a bicycle since I was a kid, and we never wore helmets of any sort back in the 1950's.

Moby Nick

gibetheridge
03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Helmets work.

In '69, while wearing a very good quality helmet, I was hit from behind while traveling at over 100 MPH on my Norton 750. By the time I stopped smashing around and my body had skidded to a stop in the ditch the helmet was on backwards and looked like the shell of a hardboiled egg that had been rolled under pressure all over a countertop, not a square inch of solid material left on it. While my body was such a wreck that the ambulance crew left me in the ditch and took the others, who looked as though they stood a chance of surviving, my head was relatively intact. As it turned out one of the others died of head injuries. She had been wearing a cheapo minimalist helmet.

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 01:31 PM
It only takes once.. If you want to take a chance, roll the dice.

htom
03-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Get a new helmet, and wear it. While you're politely riding along the bike trail at 10 mph, you're rudely struck by a car doing 50 mph that didn't stay on its road. If you have a bad crash, replace it, and replace it every -- is it ten, now? -- because the shock absorbing foam degrades over time.

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I guess I don't really understand the issue here.. Is it a matter of he "freedom" of having your hair blow in your face..? I rather wear a helmet.. and live to feel the hair in my eyes in a convertible.

wardd
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
here is an experiment to see whether you should wear a helmet

put on helmet and have someone hit your head with a baseball bat

take off helmet , repeat experiment

Bobcat
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I have worked too many brain injury cases and had two friend die of head injuries. Both people fell on stairs. Falling from a standing position to a hard surface is enough for a serious and even fatal brain injury. I wear a helmet when bicycling, motorcycling and even unicycling

Brian Palmer
03-11-2011, 02:07 PM
In college, we rode from campus to the coast for a clam and lobster bake. This was 1984. One of the women in the group ahead of us crashed, no helmet. When I got there, she was turning blue, drooling, and her eyes were rolled up in her head. A motorist was calling out if anybody knew CPR. I was headed over to her when she started breathing again on her own and her color came back. We got an ambulance, and they took her away. Had a concussion and didn't remember any of it.

My dentist was on a group ride a few years ago and crashed on a big downhill. He had a helmet, but passed away from a traumatic brain injury that was described as "non-survivable."

Brian

Nicholas Scheuer
03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I try on new bicycle helmets from time to time, but have yet to find one as comfortable as my old one with outdated decal artwork.

Moby Nick

Raka025
03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I have worked too many brain injury cases and had two friend die of head injuries. Both people fell on stairs. Falling from a standing position to a hard surface is enough for a serious and even fatal brain injury. I wear a helmet when bicycling, motorcycling and even unicycling

You might want to add climbing stairs to your list of helmet wearing activities?

SamSam
03-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I happened upon a fatal low speed motorcycle crash that impressed upon me that the human head is fragile like an egg. No discernible damage to vehicles other than a few small scratches or to the rider other than a flow of blood from the ears and spasmodic twitching, open eyes and some moaning.

switters
03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Right then, the one anecdote that stands out to me was from stevebaby, While getting hit by a car at 45mph is a real concern, I doubt that wearing a helmet would do much good. take a bat and hit a watermellon, then take a bat and hit a watermellon with 3/4 inch of styrofoam around it. That's effective, not.

I will not claim to be very coordinated, which is why a helmet is probably still a good idea all summer long. The more I think about it, my odds of crashing while avoiding a dog off leash on the bike trail doing 10MPH is very likely at least once a year. At that speed the helmet is probably the difference between stitches and just being angry.

I read the helmet debate over on the bikeforums and it turns into the gun control debate we have over here, though slightly more civilized. So it was good to get a fresh set of perspectives.

Very timely, as the REI garage sale is this weekend I think, and had planned on at least looking at new helmets. Since I'm way to old and ugly to care about fashion, anything without flowers on it would work for me, and that might even depend on what kind of flowers.:d

JayInOz
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Bicycle helmets here are compulsory and for the most part a joke. They'e foam and cover the top of your head. But most bike riders here wear synthetic shorts and T shirts- image is everything- so if they fall off they're guaranteed to lose lots of skin as well. I ride motorbikes. I wear a helmet and heavy boots and leather or kevlar. If I fell off and got skinned while wearing shorts and T shirt I would cop flack from my friends for being an idiot.Helmets are compulsory, and have to meet pretty high standards. I had an exemption years ago and wore a leather cap when riding. It was deemed unsafe and exemptions were revoked, although I could see and hear much more of what was going on around me, and enjoyed riding much more without a helmet. Someone said drop a melon out of a window- well try dropping a motorcycle helmet out of a window- it bounces really well. I cringe when I see heaps of kids here riding little motorbikes flat out, wearing fully enclosed full face helmets. Not only are the helmets too big and too heavy, but in a fall they bounce with the kids head inside 'em. Quite a few motorcyclists used to die here from head injuries. Quite a few still do since wearing helmets was made compulsory- and now quite a few also die from fractures at the base of the skull from the helmet bouncing and swinging. Put light weight bicycle helmets on little kids on motorbikes. Put motorcycle helmets on adults riding bicycles. They'll still be an irritating traffic hazard, but they'll be safer:) JayInOz

S.V. Airlie
03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
But you were still alive!!! I could deal with a little skin off my ass and not a split skull.

RichKrough
03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
If you ride long enough you are going to crash thats is just the odds. Helmets protect you from the typical low speed endos and Arte Johnsons that are the majority of crashes.

Personally I like the Bell CITI ( used to be called the Metro) it doesn't have the "duck ass" on the back or silly stripes that make you look goofy. Also is popular with bike cops. I have been using the same one for 10 years now

http://www.broadwaybicycleschool.com/parts_helmets_citi.jpg

David Tabor (sailordave)
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Even on the trail I wear one. I saw two bikers collide head-on many years ago. Neither was going much more than 10mph I'm guessing. The one guy OBVIOUSLY had a concussion and kept asking what happened. I think helmet laws for minors are good, thankfully nowhere I ride has them for adults. I think motorcycle helmet laws and seatbelt laws are BS but I wouldn't be without.

And if you remember the Dale Earnhardt accident at Daytona 10 years ago. EVERYONE thought that wreck was no big deal. Kept expecting him to pop out and walk away. Doesn't always happen that way.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I should try one of those Bell CITI's or METRO's. The ones I like the looks of are the matte black ones kids wear for Bike-Cross competition, but I never see one large enough.

Moby Nick

Rich Jones
03-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I feel a little foolish wearing mine just to ride around the block. But, while skiing five years ago, a helmut saved me from serious injury. I took a bad fall, broke my pelvis and had a slight concussion even with the helmut on. I would have been really messed up without it. I'll never ski or bike without one.

switters
03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
http://www.rei.com/media/rr/85d2ea30-612d-41b0-b27d-2122134e1458.jpg

so while we are on the subject, any other comments on helmets you like?

This one is half off on line and might be at the garage sale, and I'm a kinda a tight (_!_).

If I'm going to wear one I might as well wear one that isn't falling apart. I will look for the Bell helmet also, thanks.

sorry about the big picture, that scared me when I saw it

Nanoose
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM

YES!!!!!

It's not where or how you ride, it's the idiot that isn't going to see you one day...or the one who will be distracted for just a second because their phone rang....or...or...or....you get the idea. Sheesh, swits....wear it!

Nanoose
03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
By the way, bike helmets are law here....

ishmael
03-11-2011, 06:56 PM
The Bell or the Uvex look right to me. I haven't ridden much lately, but the helmet I have, a big styrofoam thing, always worried me a little. That edge could easily catch on something and break my neck.

I didn't wear one up until maybe twenty years ago, but I think it's a good idea. When you are young and agile you can usually out maneuver the danger. Not so much when you are forty plus.

JayInOz
03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
The helmet pictured is very colourful. And in the split second between oops and splat, try to move your head into a position such that the helmet actually touches the ground. They all look like they were designed to protect cyclists in the Pacific islands from falling coconuts. I don't understand how something so ugly and poorly designed could be compulsory. I really dislike motorbike helmets too, but at least here they are designed to protect eye sockets, cheek bones and jaw as well as skulls. JayInOz

thedutchtouch
03-11-2011, 10:43 PM
every time. the helmet debate, IMHO, is silly. it protects your head. use it. i've yet to crash badly enough on my bike, but wearing a helmet while snowboarding has saved my life (major concussion WITH the helmet on, would have been much worse without), and i fully support their use.

George Jung
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
I've seen lots of mva's, with and without head injuries (and with/without helmets, seatbelts etc.). After a car crash, it's simple to tell who had a seatbelt on, who didn't, by the injuries. Sturgis motorcycle rally - without exception, all of the fatalities I saw were head injuries (it's not 'cool' to wear a helmet on a Harley) - except the guy who'd been shot. Motorcycle helmets probably aren't as important as bike and ski helmets - you generate a lot of force riding a cycle (don't get me wrong, the helmets help). Bike - not so much, and the helmet can be a lifesaver. Same with skiing - unless you hit a tree or boulder at speed.

LeeG
03-11-2011, 11:20 PM

evidently not or you wouldn't be asking

Paul Girouard
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
You're right Switter's this is a stupid thing to EVEN THINK about arguing about, wear yer helmet , even though it's now very apparent you have little to protect in your head , you really should protect what little you have left :-)))

On a related subject there's a little joke about men, helmets and cups. Something like the cup was invented in 1876 or some thing like that and the helmet was 1976 , so it only took men 100 years to figure out protecting there brain was ALMOST as important as the family jewels. LOL!

My old boss used to ride his bike to work , one morning while making a slow speed turn his bike slipped out from under him maybe some oil or loose sand he didn't notice , he can't say exactly why , but he went down and cracked his helmet right in two. He's sure he would have been badly injured.

SO WEAR YOUR HELMET , will ya!! It's a no brainier.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
03-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Wear a quality, certified helmet. Find one that is comfortable and stylish to you. They are much less expensive in real dollars than they used to be, some fire departments give new ones away for free. Never use a used helmet like one you find at a garage sale, you don't know if it has been weakened in a fall. Replace the helmet if it has taken a good hit and there is any damage.

I started wearing a bike helmet when skiing years ago, after I hit my head hard enough to see stars while learning to snowboard (caught the heel side edge). (The inside of the helmet had gotten too big on the inside from the soft foam padding (not the styrofoam) getting smooshed, I had replaced it for biking, but the old one fit perfectly over my fleece cap.) Next time out, put a helmet-sized divot in the hard-packed snow but laughed it off. This was about a year before Sonny Bono got killed hitting a tree on the ski slopes while not wearing a helmet. If I ever get on the slopes again, I will use a dedicated skiing helmet.

BarnacleGrim
03-12-2011, 01:55 AM
I like this kind of threads, it brings up all the reasons to wear one so I don't forget. I've yet to see a stylish helmet, though.

seanz
03-12-2011, 06:25 AM
On a related subject there's a little joke about men, helmets and cups. Something like the cup was invented in 1876 or some thing like that and the helmet was 1976 , so it only took men 100 years to figure out protecting there brain was ALMOST as important as the family jewels. LOL!

Nutcase? (http://www.nutcasehelmets.com/en/site)

PeterSibley
03-12-2011, 06:42 AM
The helmet pictured is very colourful. And in the split second between oops and splat, try to move your head into a position such that the helmet actually touches the ground. They all look like they were designed to protect cyclists in the Pacific islands from falling coconuts. I don't understand how something so ugly and poorly designed could be compulsory. I really dislike motorbike helmets too, but at least here they are designed to protect eye sockets, cheek bones and jaw as well as skulls. JayInOz

Jay's got a point , my motorcycle helmet is a brilliant bit of engineering and cost $600 , I couldn't ride my bike with it on though ,it's too close fitting and too heavy .

My bicycle helmet is light airy and seems a very poor cousin to the m/c helmet .I'd like the thing to offer more protection ,especially on the sides .I sometimes ride fast on rough down hills ,it's a necessity as far as I'm concerned .

Ron Williamson
03-12-2011, 06:48 AM
I wear a skateboard helmet when riding the terrain park and a lined winter helmet when snowboarding.
When riding around town,I don't bother.
Here,kids under 16 or 18 are mandated to wear helmets,but I know that my kids have ditched theirs just down the trail from home,then put them back on when they return.
R

ishmael
03-12-2011, 07:49 AM
All that said, it's something freeing to ride a cycle down the road with the wind in your hair.

Yeah, it's dangerous, but life is dangerous, get used to it.

S.V. Airlie
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM
peter
My bicycle helmet is light airy and seems a very poor cousin to the m/c helmet .I'd like the thing to offer more protection ,especially on the sides .I sometimes ride fast on rough down hills ,it's a necessity as far as I'm concerned

Well a bike is a poor cousin to a motor cycle too.:D:D:D

Captain Intrepid
03-12-2011, 08:17 AM
peter
My bicycle helmet is light airy and seems a very poor cousin to the m/c helmet .I'd like the thing to offer more protection ,especially on the sides .I sometimes ride fast on rough down hills ,it's a necessity as far as I'm concerned

Well a bike is a poor cousin to a motor cycle too.:D:D:D

A bicycle is to a motorbike what a sailboat or rowboat is to a powerboat..

wizbang 13
03-12-2011, 08:49 AM
If I pedal over a bridge, should I wear a PFD?

S.V. Airlie
03-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Only if the bridge is up and you fall off.:d

switters
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
the current helmet

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk221/switters_bucket/IMAG0237.jpg

so we will be replacing this with something equally stylish and wear it on my head while riding to work.

seanz
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Not so much a safety device more like a Good Luck charm...........

:D

Excellent sticker.
:)

Dumah
03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
There is no argument that helmets save injury, however I believe that use should be voluntary after the age of 18. Got a major problem with seatbelts in big trucks, let alone airbags. The last place I wish to be is behind the wheel in case of an incident, rather make a dive under the dash (easily the safest place to be) . The hazards are completely different from a car in that there is a jack knife possibility as well as cargo "migrating" especially with flat deck and float loads. Under the dash allows the load to pass over you and if the trailer removes the cab you are NOT so much in danger of getting crushed by your own wagon. Freedom of choice, that's what it is all about

Cheers, Dumah

seanz
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Seat belt in trucks are a good idea.....as long as it's not a Ford.

PhaseLockedLoop
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM
All that said, it's something freeing to ride a cycle down the road with the wind in your hair.

It's funny no one else has mentioned this. When I rode bicycles or motorcycles, I mostly rode them for pleasure. The few times I used them to commute, I wore a helmet. But for pleasure, I didn't. The pleasure of riding is pretty much much dimmed by wearing a decent helmet. Sure it's more dangerous, but so are lots of activities done for pleasure. The idea that pleasure doesn't mean much, and you should always be equipped for the worst has really taken hold.

BrianY
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm a very casual biker and I always wear one because of two experiences:

First: when I was in college I was biking to work at 6am one perfect spring morning and I went to cross a street. I checked for cars and the street was clear - no traffic at all. I stood up and gave a strong push with my right foot to power across the road and ended up going over the handlebars head first because I had shifted earlier into a high gear and forgot about it so there was no real resistance to my big push. I scraped the left side of my face across the pavement as I rolled over (no helmet on this time). I ended up lying across the stripe down the middle of the road, face bleeding and my bike across my chest. I was luck I didn't crack my skull on the pavement. Moral of the story: Bad stuff happens when you least expect it to.

Second: While biking on a bike path, I saw a teenage girl go wizzing by. 5 seconds later she wipes out ahead of me, goes flying over her handlebars and bangs her helmeted head hard into the asphalt. Th eimpact sounded like a gun shot. Result? She's OK- shaken up and a few scrapes here and there but otherwise fine. Her helmet, however was split into two pieces. That could have been her skull. I'm pretty certain that if she hadn't been wearing a helmet, she would have been dead.

Wear a helmet. You might feel silly doing so, but the risk of a permanent life-changing injury is very real, no matter how low-key and carefully you ride.

Dr.Spoke
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
I have seen too many accidents, repiared the mechanical aftermath, and had a few myself... Get a helmet!
My advice ( for what it is worth!) try on as many as possible until you find one that really fits, and does not make you look too/even more stupid. Then look at the price and buy it. I personally replace mine every two years - UV does damage the foam, and it needs to be soft and felxible to do the job. If the foam gets too hard from UV damage it cannot absorb shock as it should. The design of modern helmets is quite clever, and they are remarkable in how much protection they give for such little weight.
If you are commuting and the helmet will be subjected to a little more abuse in bags and stuff, a hard-shell skate/BMX helmet is my preference - but everybody looks stupid in these!

George Jung
03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
btw - I presume most know that a helmet should replaced after a 'knock', and not only after it's split hitting a tree...

good post, btw.

S.V. Airlie
03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
George..I was going to say that but Dr. Spoke covered and explained why a helmet should be replaced say every two yrs...

LeeG
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
My advice ( for what it is worth!) try on as many as possible until you find one that really fits, and does not make you look too/even more stupid.

it is ok to look like a Fred (bike nerd who is fashion challenged)

Put one of these on the front using velcro and not the stock headband

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/96/c/AAAADP8_hgoAAAAAAJbM2Q.jpg?v=1260387842000

3AAA batteries. In strobe mode it's VERY bright. I rotate the light up riding through traffic with diffuser on so it doesn't blind other drivers. I can see reflection of it off of street signs from 200' away.

http://gliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bikeplanet-superflash-biketaillight-03.jpg

this one on the back in strobe or steady as desired. It also is BRIGHT.

I run both of these with rechargable batteries and they last about one to two weeks of regular riding depending on mode.

S.V. Airlie
03-16-2011, 01:39 PM
So to bypass one's ego and the need to "look cute" and fashionable, buy one of these and not a helmet? I'd rather buy a helmet and live through the experience.

switters
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
yes, and you should glue the velcro to your forehead.:d

I have been running Bontrager Ions on the front and rear. The rear works great, the front is just a see me light, useless at night unless creeping along at walking speed. And yes, I run the rear lights full time night and day. Front at dusk.

Will look at the petzles, thanks.

REI garage sale is this coming weekend and I'll be on a plane to Eugene, so I have been looking at options and online.

S.V. Airlie
03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Having a driver see you is one thing but I would not want to have him expect or anticipate how he would react...I'll wear a helmet regardless..I may die with one on. But is better than increasing my chances of doing son without one..To hell with fashion statements...

LeeG
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
yes, and you should glue the velcro to your forehead.:d

I have been running Bontrager Ions on the front and rear. The rear works great, the front is just a see me light, useless at night unless creeping along at walking speed. And yes, I run the rear lights full time night and day. Front at dusk.

Will look at the petzles, thanks.

REI garage sale is this coming weekend and I'll be on a plane to Eugene, so I have been looking at options and online.

I've been using a Princeton Tec Eos for awhile but the Petzl has a much brighter flash. Flourescent yellow/green vests are a good idea also. I've had more than one incident where someone has crossed over from the opposing lane as though I wasn't even there and I didn't have the vest on. In bright day light they're looking for gaps in cars and when it comes up they go, and there I am. WTF? The other thing are the number of people with cell phones to their ear AS they are leaving a parking lot or turning at an intersection and entering traffic. It seems that those people creep further into the roadway while scanning for traffic as opposed to actually stopping, looking, then going. It's more like roll up to the roadway, keep rolling, then scan, keep rolling and maybe they'll go or maybe they'll stop or maybe they'll roll into traffic at 5mph. At which point I yell "get off the phone"

S.V. Airlie
03-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I was at a red light to turn left. I had my brake lights on....Obviously visible to anyone paying attntion. I had a lady in her van run right up my transom. No brakes..She was on her cell phone discussing I suspect her grocery list..(very important). If I had been on a bike, it would have been more han a dent in my bumper...and if I had been on a bike with a helmet.. I may have surivied..Would I have? I don't know...but at least I would have had a chance of surviving.

switters
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
don't worry, helmet or not no one will accuse me of being a fashionista.

I am the fred exemplar on my local commute route.

And I say that with nerdly pride. I seem to be the only one on this end of town without drop bars and spandex.