PDA

View Full Version : Why the Bilge matters

TomF
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Why is this post in the bilge? Lift it up to People and Places at least...The most active thread about Chuck is in the Bilge. Just as the most active thread(s) about Meerkat were. And Bruce's son. And Norm. And Dave. And God only knows what and who all else over the years.

In our many threads over the past few weeks, we've sometimes lost sight of something: the Bilge isn't only, or even primarily what we are at our worst, though it is that. It's a radio channel playing our inner dialogues - dialogues which many of us wouldn't have other ways. It's a place where ordinary mortals get to meet Chuck Phillips, and get to know some facets of him surprisingly well. Where else does that happen in your daily life?

The Bilge is a mirror, reflecting us back to ourselves. Reflecting who we are, who we wish we'd be, who we're making ourselves into. And doing it in public, in plain view, so we've got a chance to learn from the other Rats' brilliance and colossal flops. It's an accellerator, a catalyst, if we want to use it that way.

It's a serendipity, an accidental blossom that's both entrancing and repulsive. Sometimes alternately, sometimes simultaneously. And it matters because the people who play here matter.

As Chuck's taught us again this week.

Ian McColgin
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Well said, Tom. Thank you.

S.V. Airlie
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks Tom I was glad to know him personally a bit. Not as much as I would have liked to have but more than some..He was a unique, wonderful guy.He did for me much more than I could do for him without question, without any compensation none was necessary nor was it, being Chuck, wanted .Just a thank you. Hard to find one like that in this day and age

Nanoose
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
What Tom said.

Community. Doing life together...warts and all.

leikec
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Nice job Tom! Well written.

Jeff C

Iceboy
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks Tom. That was needed.

Bruce Taylor
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
There are days when there's nothing worth reading in the Bilge.

But I read it anyway.

I'll read anything. :D

TomF
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll read anything. :D:D Even my pretentious sh!t. :D

Nanoose
03-10-2011, 03:04 PM
...especially that, Tom. ;)

Nicholas Scheuer
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Right on, Tom!

I saw Chuck's posts above, however (without counting) I'm sure he posted much more frequently down here.

I've received a lot more PM's from him over recent years than from anyone else here, and won't be deleting them soon.

Moby Nick

S.V. Airlie
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I hope that regardless of people's taciturn muckracking (myself included)that the others would pull hehind all of that behind me.. Not that it will happen often although it has as I have a tendency to disappear for months.. The bottom line is although we may disagree, even call us names, etc. You are family and family does count. More than one would expect or hope for.. And Tom good post.

It is the bilge..lov it or leave it.

Bruce Taylor
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
:D Even my pretentious sh!t. :D

My standards are incredibly low. :D

This morning I spent, like, an hour on The Cyber Toaster Museum. (http://www.toaster.org/museum.html)

TomF
03-10-2011, 03:19 PM

This morning I spent, like, an hour on The Cyber Toaster Museum. (http://www.toaster.org/museum.html)Somebody else will have to find a comeback for that; I'm still wheezing too hard. :D

Flying Orca
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM

This morning I spent, like, an hour on The Cyber Toaster Museum. (http://www.toaster.org/museum.html)

I think you may have Slashdotted them. How did you find that?

Bruce Taylor
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
How did you find that?

I've got some time on my hands, man.

PeterSibley
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
The Bilge is a mirror, reflecting us back to ourselves. Reflecting who we are, who we wish we'd be, who we're making ourselves into. And doing it in public, in plain view, so we've got a chance to learn from the other Rats' brilliance and colossal flops. It's an accellerator, a catalyst, if we want to use it that way.

That was particularly well said .

David G
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Sure, yah, not bad exposition for a guy from the frozen North, eh? Just think how articulate he'd be if the weather would allow his brain to come up to normal temperature! Scary.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Somebody else will have to find a comeback for that; I'm still wheezing too hard. :D

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm

C. Ross
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Well done Tom, thanks.

Robbie 2
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks Tom...............I couldn't agree more and that is why I have and will always appreciate the friends I have here at the WBF forum.

johnw
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Tom!

J. Dillon
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
The most active thread about Chuck is in the Bilge. Just as the most active thread(s) about Meerkat were. And Bruce's son. And Norm. And Dave. And God only knows what and who all else over the years.

In our many threads over the past few weeks, we've sometimes lost sight of something: the Bilge isn't only, or even primarily what we are at our worst, though it is that. It's a radio channel playing our inner dialogues - dialogues which many of us wouldn't have other ways. It's a place where ordinary mortals get to meet Chuck Phillips, and get to know some facets of him surprisingly well. Where else does that happen in your daily life?

It's a serendipity, an accidental blossom that's both entrancing and repulsive. Sometimes alternately, sometimes simultaneously. And it matters because the people who play here matter.

As Chuck's taught us again this week.

Well said, and another good reason to preserve the diversity of the bilge.

JD

Peerie Maa
03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Sure, yah, not bad exposition for a guy from the frozen North, eh? Just think how articulate he'd be if the weather would allow his brain to come up to normal temperature! Scary.

Silicon brains work better at cold temperatures.

botebum
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Well said Tom.
We share the best and the worst of ourselves here because we're real.

Doug

McMike
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Very well said Tom.

I think the lump in my throat validates this place, the bilge and the rest of the forum, as a genuine collection of souls. I've been truly touched by the quality of the folks here.

pefjr
03-10-2011, 05:40 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by lagspiller http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?p=2914198#post2914198)
Why is this post in the bilge? Lift it up to People and Places at least...

Well, it's not that hard to C&P it. If too difficult, ask Norm(:d) for help.

oznabrag
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Shut up, Peffy.

pefjr
03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Some can't handle their drugs and booze any better than they managed their money.

seanz
03-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Silicon brains work better at cold temperatures.

True, but he's not a troll.
;)

htom
03-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Very well said, TomF; thank you.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-10-2011, 07:40 PM
:D Even my pretentious sh!t. :D

Oh, I don't think your sh!t is pretentious...:D

and... well said ;)

George Jung
03-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Nice to see this thread. The recent (multiple) threads calling for the dismantling/restriction on the bilge begged for an articulate response.

Well done.

David G
03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
True, but he's not a troll.
;)

True... and Yeti might be something similar <G>

ishmael
03-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Nicely said, Tom.

For all its troubles(as with any human gathering it has them) this is the best forum I've found on the web. I've made it my cyber-home for over ten years. In that time I've met a few of you in person, and without exception fine people. Even went sailing once or twice with a few of you.

Thank you Wooden Boat, for providing it. As always, a class act. Hell, I may even have to re-up a long lapsed subscription to the print magazine.

Glen Longino
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Nice thoughts, Tom!
Thanks!

bob winter
03-10-2011, 08:36 PM
100% Tom. I am not big on talking.

Wild Dingo
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Well said Tom!!
***note to self... thank gawd YOU DIDNT think to do it Shane!!***

Ive been somewhat missing in action over the last few years since returning from the states Ive had much on my plate and doings happening but funny thing is Ive never forgotten my friends here at the forum and in particular the bilge

Years ago Cleek or Norm or someone referred this place as "the bar room of the woodenboat forum" where you can wander in kick yer shoes of sit back in front of the fire and enjoy a quiet yarn or have a major argument even a fight or two... but in the end its like a gathering of mates from all over people come and go wander in and out as their lives allow, its a place were discourse on any subject is free to occur (within certain restraints of decorum of course!) and often does! With views expressed from around the world by people of different nationalities and cultures... albeit most are Americans any are welcome and made to feel that way.

Often I used to read the comment from one person or another that "None of us are mates its the internet for gods sake we will never meet each other in the physical world so we cant be mates" and to those that think along that way I PERSONALLY am a living breathing example that this place is in fact for real and the people here are real people who it is possible to meet and still enjoy their company!

I guess when I pass over the bar things will be said about why Ive also been slotted down here in the bilge but truth to tell like Chuck Norm Dave and others its where I post most, like them I spend time upstairs I wander the upper echelons of woodenboat to glean information to learn something new to see what is new in the world of wooden (and otherwise) boats but here? Here is where I am most able to be me... I like others have shared my life on this forum in the bilge area youve learnt about my kids my family youve enjoyed us at our best and through my eyes at our worst youve experienced life as I know it along the LONG journey of my being a shipmate here... and I have learnt much about yours along the way... some have been afraid or reluctant to post pictures of their family or their lives I like others have no such fear or reluctance... they are my life therefore Im proud of them and heck I want people to know my family... dont we allow our friends to know our families? Yes so why not here? Its a part and for many of us a BIG part of our lives this woodenboat forum and particularily the bilge.

Without it... I would have had NO outlet for the sheer joys the utter dispares the life events that I have shared... and I also would never have had the opportunity to meet on here and then IN LIFE many of the people Ive met simply through this forum... its given me a creative outlet for my constantly free fall over active imagination which I find no need to apologize for while in life itself I often have to... acceptance... we accept each as we are its a part of life

Ive met many here and am thankful for that and them including Chuck... who I also met through the bilge by the way MANY MANY years ago and in life only 2 years ago... ahem I was here prior to 2001 that clock was set after the first big bang of the forum and the clocks were reset so over the period of what amounts to some 13 or so years Ive been amazed at the depth and wealth of knowledge people here freely offer to anyone who would listen read and take in

Anyway where am I heading here? GAWD KNOWS!!! Cause I dont!! ;o)

Life gives life takes away the ebb and flow of life affects us all... this woodenboat forum is NOT a simple repository for information only related to wooden boats! Its a loud vibrant cocophony of life!!! From all corners of the globe... the good the bad the shocking the sad the hurtful the joyous all the things that make up life are here on the woodenboat forum... Matt and all those involved with its creation and continued existance deserve a mighty world wide round of applause for creating and continuing to evolve and allow people... *** for we are REAL people!... except maybe Cleek whos a bit of a conundrum***... from all over the world to meet get to know share and be there for each other as life ebbs and flows around us... it allows an avenue through which we can actually meet one another at shows at EBS's and at gatherings around the world.

The bilge is the *home* of many a forumite... I know its mine... but as in life the forum mimics the movements and tides people come and go as do those tides some come for a short time in with the tide then move on in their lives out with the tide... others come and remain year after year seeming stuck on the shoals that surround life and yet others come stay for a long time then slowly flow away on a seemingly slow ebb tide... others like myself come and stay for many a year then due to circumstances within life itself leave on the ebb tide only returning now and then... yet others we meet but briefly before they set sail over the horizon (Margos Dave being one such) others we watch learn from for many years enjoy their company and then they themselves like we all will set sail for the far distant horizon... but for me personally never for one moment is there that my family here is not missed thought of kept loose track of and return to the nest of the crew now and again.

Life takes us where it will we ride the tempests and storms as well as we are able then in smoother times we sail along contented... always there is the woodenboat forum and our fellow shipmates

Personally... I reckon its time with Chucks passing to reignite the fellowship to say a fond gidday from across the pond and really I guess to say...

MAN I LOVE YOU BLOKES AND SHEILAS!! Like brothers and sisters *** and that is the truth!*** mothers and fathers ***yeah yeah so Im a wayward son!*** uncles and aunts grandfathers and grandmothers we all ride this ship of life bound together by our love of boats and wooden ones in particular

As I said I had no idea where this was going but what the hey!! :o)

JormaS
03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Well said TomF. Thank you.

Iceboy
03-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice post Shane. Same back at ya. Jim...

Hot Air
03-11-2011, 12:55 PM
It is also easy to be conned on a forum. Sometimes peoples claims about themselves just don't add up.

TomF
03-11-2011, 01:05 PM
It is also easy to be conned on a forum. Sometimes peoples claims about themselves just don't add up.Sure. For all I know, John T may not in fact be a Garbanzo bean - and you may not be full of Hot Air. As in any other area of life, BS detectors must be operational and Occams' razor sharpened.

pefjr
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
As in any other area of life, BS detectors must be operational and Occams' razor sharpened. hmmm... as in any other ..... mmmmm.

TomF
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
hmmm... as in any other ..... mmmmm.With due apologies to Hot Air for picking up on his comment ... perhaps we can continue this conversation elsewhere, if it's to go on.

George Jung
03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
While one wasn't called for, that there's no rejoinder further endorses the OP.

It's a nice summation of what's good about the Bilge.

(It feels good when you write something good, no?)

Iceboy
03-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Why do this here?

It is also easy to be conned on a forum. Sometimes peoples claims about themselves just don't add up.

Iceboy
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM
It does feel good George.

Flying Orca
03-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I've got some time on my hands, man.

I suppose you have, at that. I know how it goes...

ishmael
03-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Shane,

You still need an editor. No offense dear son, and I could use one too, but your rambles are a bit hard to swallow at times. I mean if you wish to publish other places than here.

Ted Hoppe
03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Tom and others -

Thanks for the thoughtful posts. As many have said before, this is a reflection of ourselves. Here I am able to measure my thoughts here, learned from others who plowed similar fields, test my rational projections and even be inspired by some immortals. I too work on my own with hours of silence and long minutes of waiting overseeing processes. The bilge is a rare place where threads, feedback makes me feel connected to a better group in a shared community and in rare moments a chance to breathe in a story with a few heroes.