PDA

View Full Version : benford dory's worthwhile?

peytr
10-15-2000, 05:22 PM
Hello and thanks for reading

I'm looking for plans for a cruiser in the 33 to 37 ft range. I'm interested in the Benford dory's in this respect. I'm looking for people who actually have experience sailing these. The simplicity of these designs attracts me but, at the same time, makes me doubt the capabilities of these ships.

Regards,

Peter

Charlie J
10-15-2000, 05:35 PM
Annie Hill and her husband have quite a few thousand ocean miles behind them in Badger - their Benford 34 sailing dory. Look for her book "Voyaging on a Small Income" for a discussion of the boat.

ishmael
10-17-2000, 08:15 PM
A good suggestion by c.e. I've wondered these things too, as the simplicity is compelling. There are always trade offs, but if I hear your question what are they?

As far as safety and seaworthiness goes, there are so many factors. I'd like to hear the result of your research with regard to these issues and these boats.

Henri
10-21-2000, 08:35 AM
I second the excellence of the Benford Dories. If you are in Europe, I suggest you investigate twin rather than a single keel on a Benford dory. If you procure a copy of the Annie Hall book (which is excellent), you will find an alternative twin keel on a dory af about 27 feet (8M). I think all of the Benford dories can be twin keeled. Bray Yacht Design in Vancouver has done some recent research on lightweight twin keel vessels with excellent results. There are one or two of the Benford dories in the web site for the Nova Scotia Junk Assoc, I do not have thier address handy.

Charlie J
10-21-2000, 02:47 PM
NS junk assn http://www.nsjunkrig.org/