X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Gas gangsters

Libby's oil production has been cut in half due the recent turmoil. Libya only produces a snort, yet prices at our pumps keep rising, dramatically.

Someone is manipulating the price of oil.
  • willmarsh3
    • Sep 2004

Re: Gas gangsters

I like to think that supply and demand aren't very elastic for oil. Nonetheless I cut back my driving and drive my car more instead of my truck. It's funny how gas prices go up in a hurry and take their sweet time coming back down after the crisis has passed.
    Will

Comment

• Waddie
      • Aug 2009

If you want to track the price of oil follow the London exchange. That's where the speculators gather. Look at volume as well as trends. They have been busy. I also think oil goes up faster than it comes down. The gas at our pumps predates most of this Libyan crisis (it was refined before the price got higher), and most Libyan oil goes to Europe. It can be replaced by other nations and/or stockpiles in the short term, so outside of speculation there is no concrete reason gas prices here have to go up---yet.

regards,
      Waddie
      I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Comment

• mike hanyi
        you want me to VARNISH?!!
        • Nov 2000

come on people its easy to learn the scam!

any political turmoil in an oil producing country = prices rise
        bad economy and trying to consume less fuel? = prices rise so OPEC gets the same monthly income
        its a game you cant win, OPEC rules the world, and any chance to raise the price they the stock market takes it

use lots of fuel like it is like water = more production and lower prices
        summer is normally lower price as heating oil is in demand more in winter.
        There's one rich man onboard and there's twentyfive poor men and they enjoy it more then the rich man does -Jim Kilroy when asked if yacht racing is a rich mans sport.

Comment

• skuthorp
          • Jan 2002

Speculating on oil is not a crime, but if it precipitates a recession for no good reason, maybe it should be an economic crime.
          It may not even be OPEC, the speculators have got us over the (oil) barrel. Maybe we should learn their names and addresses and publish them widely.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
            • May 2002

Originally posted by skuthorp
            Speculating on oil is not a crime, but if it precipitates a recession for no good reason, maybe it should be an economic crime.
            It may not even be OPEC, the speculators have got us over the (oil) barrel. Maybe we should learn their names and addresses and publish them widely.
            I'll go for that...shine a light on it
            The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
            Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• Waddie
              • Aug 2009

Speculating of this sort is a crime in the US, that's why they like the London exchange (at least partly).

regards,
              Waddie
              I started with nothing and I still have most of it....

Comment

• Paul Pless
                pinko commie tree hugger
                • Oct 2003

the speculators have got us over the (oil) barrel.
                speculators eh?
                Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Bob Adams
                  • Sep 2000

Originally posted by ishmael
                  Libby's oil production has been cut in half due the recent turmoil. Libya only produces a snort, yet prices at our pumps keep rising, dramatically.

It's Lee.
                  You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
                  Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• Jim Mahan
                    me 𑀩 thinking
                    • Mar 2006

"Speculating on oil is not a crime, but if it precipitates a recession ..."
                    You can relax. According to Ian McColgin this doesn't happen.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by Chisler
                      "Speculating on oil is not a crime, but if it precipitates a recession ..."
                      You can relax. According to Ian McColgin this doesn't happen.
                      anyone know how to compile a list of politicians who are tied to the oil industry...who might want to speculate?
                      The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• SMARTINSEN
                        Transplanted Yankee
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                        anyone know how to compile a list of politicians who are tied to the oil industry...who might want to speculate?
                        Lopsidedly more Republican than Democrat. Not speculation, fact.
                        Steve Martinsen

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ishmael
                          Vote republican, put 'em in charge of the country too.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                            • May 2002

Originally posted by SMARTINSEN
                            Lopsidedly more Republican than Democrat. Not speculation, fact.
                            it would be interesting to know, just the same...anyone here got an interest in artifically high gas prices? Perhaps someone pushing the global warming thing who wants to "enforce" his theories?

Comment

• Bob Adams
                              • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                              it would be interesting to know, just the same...anyone here got an interest in artifically high gas prices? Perhaps someone pushing the global warming thing who wants to "enforce" his theories?
                              See post 9
                              You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
                              Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Working...