PDA

View Full Version : TSA body screeners, finally went through one

peb
03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, I finally went through one of the full body x-ray screeners last week at the airport in Houston. Regardless of how one feels about the government intrusion and lack of respoect for its citizens, this is an example of complete government idiocracy. I have no doubt about it anymore.

So I have travelled a couple of times in the last couple of months and have taken several people to airports and watched them go through security. Despite the airports being DFW and philidelphis (ie very busy airports) and Houston, I had not even seen one of these machines deployed. So this past weekend, after returning from Mexico and going through passport control and customs in Houston, I went through the wrong door in Houston and left the secured portion of the airport. Oh well, went to the terminal of my connection and was just going to reenter security there. The flight to dallas was on a small regional jet and so that terminal is the smallest and least used at the airport. Low and behold, that is where the government has deployed on of their scanners. Where the traffic is the lightest and the need is probably the least. So of course I reach the front of the line (only half a dozen people in front of me) and get asked to go through the scanner. Of course, I would rather do that than one of their enhanced pat-downs which is objectively speaking sexual assault, so I said OK. It is very slow, and then you have to wait, around 30 seconds for the results to come it. in the meantime, no one else can go through.

What a joke, if this device is deployed at any busy airport entrance, they would have to have 10 of them for each of the normal magnetic medal detectors they have been using in order to have any hope of processing travellers as fast as needed. And of course, they take up three times as much space, so that can't work.

So we are told it is necessary technology to keep us safe, yet in its current state it cannot even come close to being deployed in a useful fashion. So the government instead puts it in places where it will do the least good.

What a joke. Why woudl TSA even open themselves up to the level of criticism they have received when they can't effectively deploy the technology anyway. Governmetn officials are truly idiots.

Anyone else have experience with these things.

David W Pratt
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
My sister pointed out that when TSA was started, we were at relatively full employment so they got people who couldn't work anywhere else, now they have 10 years' seniority.
Happy (belated) Independence Day.

peb
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, I am a die-hard proud, born, never-to-leave Texan, and I am ashamed to admit I had forgotten all about yesterday being our Independence Day until seeing your thread.

Your sister is probably correct, but those high enough who made these decisions probably have quite a bit of government experience. That is the only thing that could explain their stupidity.

Rich Jones
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Here on Long Island, we've got a car ferry to cross Long Island Sound. In the terminal on the Connecticut side, there stood a wierd looking scanner type machine of some sort. Something that you stood in and it was supposed to detect whatever. Me and a friend of mine, who's a policeman, often pass that way when headed North to go skiing. Neither one of us could quite figure it out. Perhaps for sniffing out explosives? It was never manned and never used. God only knows who paid for it. It stood there for years until I noticed on the last trip that it was gone.

Having artificial knees, I always get the full-monty patdown anyway. I wonder if I can skip to the head of the line and bypass that long line?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it's a good one. When traveling from New York City(terrorist target #1) I noticed a small package left under a seat in the terminal. I brought it to the attention of a TSA person like we'll all told to do. His response was to send over a cleaning person who picked it up, threw it in his rolling trash can and just walked away with it. What a joke.

George Jung
03-03-2011, 02:03 PM
You were expecting a carefully thoughtout, highly effective remedy, post 9-11? Hmmmm.

I wonder how much of this is salesmanship. Recall that expensive piece of junk some company (? American? Aussie??) was selling to the Iraqis - the one that supposedly detected hidden explosives at checkpoints? There was an expose' on that, it was an incredibly overpriced box (very lucrative) that had absolutely no real function - but the Iraqis swore by it - and its presence deterred would-be bombers from passing through those checkpoints, as they 'believed' they were effective, as well. Our TSA scanners may simply represent a much bulkier, much more expensive, much clunkier version. Supersize me!

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Anyone else have experience with these things.

I won't fly because of them. They want to see me naked before I get on a plane, but they won't just man up and ask me to strip. I can't put my safety in the hands of such cowards.

rbgarr
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/910829-196/pat-downs-might-make-tsa-felons.html

RodSBT
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Dr. A.T.,

you sir are a cool dude.:D

Keith Wilson
03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I went through one for the first time last week. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. I had hoped that kind of idiocy would get better after Obama was elected, but no way; institutional inertia is invincible, and we're still at "threat level orange". Oh, yes, I feel so much safer.

Gerarddm
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I view them as

a) harmful to your health
b) overbearing to the extreme
c) possibly un-Constitutional

Israel laughs at them, and they've got the best airport security in the world.

George Jung
03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Are you glowing, Keith?

Tingly in the netherareas?

George Jung
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm glad someone mentioned Israel.

Any thoughts on emulating/not Israels approach?

paladin
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Before 9/11 and all the hoopla, I would show up at the airport and get a pat down. When they got to the underarm area, you could see a change in expression on their faces. I never said a thing. The person would step back, take another look, and signal me through. They figured that if I was going thru a checkpoint with a weapon I probably was cleared. I was never stopped getting on a plane and the only time I was stopped after arrival was at Shannon in Ireland and in Iceland.

John of Phoenix
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
When they got to the underarm area, you could see a change in expression on their faces. I never said a thing. The person would step back, take another look, and signal me through. They figured that if I was going thru a checkpoint with a weapon I probably was cleared.
Simply amazing.

paladin
03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I got on a plane in Japan carrying a small zipper bag. Inside was a stainless Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. Never stopped. I was in the duty free area and saw the Akai reel to reel xtal/ferrite head recorder/players.....price around 500 bucks. I knew they were about a thousand in the U.S......I had just left Hong Kong and they were around 300 bucks there. Air fare was only 150 round trip. I got back on the plane, flew to Hong Kong, bought 3 systems plus spares, got back on the plane to Japan, then to the U.S. No one ever looked in the zipper bag. I also had a Beretta .25 Jetfire in a leg holster, and the Browning in my overhead compartment bag....this was in the late 70's.
On another trip I was stopped coming from Japan, landed in Alaska on the way back. They went thru my stuff. I asked what they were looking for. The lady said "explosives"....and I asked why...she said it had to do with terrorists. I made the remark that no self respecting terrorist was gonna walk thru an airport with a load of explosives, they would just get a handful of sugar packages, some potassium chlorate and a few other things that didn't look like explosives and mix them up when appropriate.......she had an alarmed look on her face, called over an associate who asked me how come I knew so much about such things. I just told him I had been doing it since high school......I was never stopped.

George Jung
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd like to see the video - just to see the looks on peoples faces.... hehe

I suppose if you present yourself like you're supposed to be there, and armed, .... they'll respect that.

Must be your aura, Chuck!

Rich Jones
03-03-2011, 11:18 PM
As a college student back in the early 70's, I had a target rifle. You weren't allowed to keep it in your dorm room and had to leave it with campus security in their office clear across the other side of campus. So, I walked the whole length of the campus with this rifle. Never got a glance from anyone. Try doing that today!

SamSam
03-04-2011, 12:16 AM
But more than three months after Delvonte Tisdale, 16, stowed away in a wheel well of a Boston-bound plane in Charlotte, N.C., and fell to his death over Milton, authorities say they have been unable to determine how the teenager arrived at the airport, how he breached security, or what motivated him to embark on the fatal flight.http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/03/02/tisdale_death_still_baffles_nc_police/

ishmael
03-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Let's take the Israeli model and run with it. Profile! If this is a young Arab, or Iranian, let's have a closer look. As a middle-aged white guy, flying from Detroit to Omaha, I probably don't require much beyond a basic check. But a young man, with Arab or other middle eastern roots, might need a closer look.

Hwyl
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Been through them lots of times never a problem

Canoez
03-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Let's take the Israeli model and run with it. Profile! If this is a young Arab, or Iranian, let's have a closer look. As a middle-aged white guy, flying from Detroit to Omaha, I probably don't require much beyond a basic check. But a young man, with Arab or other middle eastern roots, might need a closer look.

Would you stop this woman, Ish?

http://photos.upi.com/story/t/94f199ee29abe19952ba7e4728d09b6a/Jihad-Jane.jpg

The Israeli model is much more subtle than it may appear. They take people traveling together and put them in separate rooms and ask them questions - they seem like innocuous questions, but are carefully crafted. Then they get together and compare notes. Lots of other background information on travelers, too...