PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Earhart: Once Was Lost But Now Am Found?

Nicholas Carey
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I heard this on NPR's Morning Edition this AM: A plane that looks to be a Lockheed Model 10 Electra, with a new (at the time) RDF loop antenna, similar to that of Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan, seems to have been found in 70m of water near Bougainville Island in the Solomon Sea. According to NPR their are two sets of human remains aboard. Also according to NPR, Bougainville is some 2000 miles from Howland Island, where she was supposed to refuel.

According to the old-timers on the island, it doesn't sound like fuel was the problem:

http://www.pina.com.fj/index.php?p=pacnews&m=read&o=8102597514d6c0eb1501168a35e92c&PHPSESSID=590e02cfab2abf99119e3d65a60a7b3f

local and old men and women from the island have their stories of this wreck since it crashed in strong lightning and bad weather which hit its left wing forcing it into the sea, nose first. The oldest man alive said he was 10 in 1937 when the plane with two people went down just off their reef.

Happy landings to you, Amelia Earhart,
Farewell, first lady of the air.

S.V. Airlie
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
One always wonders..As no one knows with any exact evidence of where she went down, it is a big body of water out there and a mighty small plane. I would be quite a find though...

Concordia...41
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree with Jamie, quite a find. Still surprising how this is suddenly becoming news if it's a known wreck????

Phillip Allen
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I agree with Jamie, quite a find. Still surprising how this is suddenly becoming news if it's a known wreck????

not enough death and mayhem elsewhere to suit the news customers

paladin
03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
It may be the second plane. What is not generally known is that when Lockheed built her plane, they made two, with identical serial numbers and identical engine numbers, and the slipup came when both airframes were registered in Ok. City. One was reputedly set up as a spy plane to watch the Japanese.
Noonan was a drunk and a rotten navigator...Earheart was a rotten navigator, and wouldn't learn to operate the radios. A recipe for disaster.

Michael D. Storey
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I have not made a life's work of it, but in my sometimes interest in wrecks, etc, I have been surprised at how many times there was existing evidence of the 'lost' wreck. In this case, as in a number of ones that I have nosed around at, there was an eyewitness, or an account. Common was the theme of, 'well, nobody ever asked me, so I didn't say anything.'

bobbys
03-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I think it was last year they found a plane in the woods here from WW2.

Cannot imagine how hard it would be to find a plane in the ocean.

The Bigfella
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
There's an awful lot of old twin engined planes at the bottom of the sea up around there. Japanese, American and Australian ones. Don't picture some shiny aluminium plane .... picture some shape heavily encrusted and decayed.