View Full Version : More winter sailing

02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
If this works, it should be a pic of my boat sailing in Mt Sinai harbor on the 19th. The white on the hills in the background is snow. The mizzen is luffing.

02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
And yet, it didn't work.

Rich Jones
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Keep trying, John. With my computer skills, it takes forever to post a picture. There is no EASY way to do it. Not like attaching something to an email.

Ian McColgin
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
The easy way is if you have an on-line place for the photos. Then putting them up here is so easy even I can do it. Since my system is a Mac, I commend you to Thorn's directions that are scattered about.

Meanwhile, I am so jealous of your sailing this winter. I normally get in at least a dozen and sometimes up to forty days' sailing after Thanksgiving and before April and not being able to even go aboard as I heal from the back surgury is driving me nuts.

02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Here ya go:

02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Thank you all. I was attempting Thorne's directions, though I don't know who the heck is "Url". I succeeded in putting the pic in Flickr, but couldn't reproduce it here. Rust, I appreciate the help, Rich, we're brothers in computer "competence". Ian, if someone would wheel you down here I'll take you sailing. But if ever there was a winter to skip sailing, it was this one. Even retired, I found only three days since December 1st, and two of them were below 40f.

Ian McColgin
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Well, winter boating can be a marvelous fantacy. If it's not Marmalade, then I might go kayaking. In the best Walter Mitty tradition, I am Nanook. Or I sail the Tinker and imagine that I am on some sort of Northwest Passage exploration. Winter solo boating is the time when all human worlds merge.

03-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Agreed. When alone on the Sound in January I am Henrik Hudson, and there are Indian villages in the harbors. And when you have the only boat under sail on the only warm winter day, people take pictures and send them roundabout til your wife gets it.

Rich Jones
03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
John, Next time you go out, give me a call. I'll bring my camera and between the two of us, maybe we can post something. And if you can find out who "Url" is, we can bring him along, too!

03-02-2011, 09:58 AM
:) OK Rich. I was lucky to get this one from the beach. It's hard to come by pics of your own boat sailing.
I'll probably spend most of this month working on her.

John B
03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Url is just the address. You've left the photo at an address you need to be able to quote to be able to use it.

What sort of temps were you sailing in ?

03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
We've got our first race of the year Sunday. Of course, others have been sailing all winter, but I took the winter off to work on some other projects. My wife and two daughters will be sailing our newest addition, Fish class #8 while my best friend and I will be taking venerable Star #7496! We usually only race the Star in this particular race each year, so I hope it's good weather. The Billy Goat Race at our club is sailed each year on what is known locally as Joe Cain Day, the Sunday before Mardi Gras day. Joe Cain was the guy who worked to re-institute Mardi Gras in Federal-occupied Mobile shortly after the end of the Civil War, and on that day there is a procession to his grave, attended by dozens, if not hundreds of black-clad women with veils, hats, the whole get-up, called the Merry Widows of Joe Cain, and there is a day of parties and parades centered around the Church Street cemetary and Government Street in downtown Mobile. And we sail for a bronze statue of a pregnant male goat (really!). At one time it was considered the Portsmouth championship of my club, and yes, my name is proudly engraved there on the base, but the past several years it has turned into more of party and celebration and less of a serious race. Still, I am glad I got to win it once.

In a lot of ways winter sailing is the best.

Mickey Lake

03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
An uneducated question: do you take any particular cold-water precautions when sailing in winter, in case you end up in the drink?

03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
That day the temps ashore neared 60. On the water they started in the 40s and got over 50 I guess. In the harbor where this was shot I had to dress down to shirtsleeves. Usually my standard for winter sailing is over 40, sunny, moderate or less breeze. This winter was so bad that I siezed a couple of days in the uppper 30s and cloudy. Other than dressing warmly, I take no other precautions. I have considered wearing a short wetsuit under my clothes, but I haven't yet. If I do, I should also get a PLB.