PDA

View Full Version : Lying, Golf and Truth

Ian McColgin
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
I've had no sympathy for golf or golfers for all my life. It's a "sport" invented as a way to get Scottish shepherds to make their rounds - a sort of prehistoric time clock slightly less pointless than kicking a stone - and made middle-class by Eisenhower. I have always known that there was a reason more golfers are struck by lightening than any other class of human. God just hates people who wear jackass pants.

So imagine my surprise when I started laughing from the first line of the preface to the last word two hundred and seven smallish pages later of Carl Hiaasen’s “The Downhill Lie: A Hacker’s Return to a Ruinous Sport”.

Whether you golf or not, this little jewel abound with insight. I could certainly see certain yacht racers, fox hunters, game preserve shooters and others who pursue rather silly sports as having similar tales, but no Hiaasen to tell. He roams all over with insights roaming around the play, the sociology and even the ecology of golf.

One wee example:

“An advanced degree from MIT would have helped when I went shopping for a driver. The loft angles varied from 7.5 degrees to 15 degrees, and one particular Mizuno was available in twenty-nine different shafts. THe innards of Ping’s G5 were supposedly computer-engineered with a process called “finite-element analysis, a term that for all I know was stolen from an old “Star Trek” episode.”

And his description of chipping invasive Bofo marinus toads into the hated neighbor’s yard . . .

If you belong to PETA, don’t read the book.

If you are sanctimonious about your golf don’t read this book.

If you’re anyone else, enjoy.

htom
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Golf. Don't get me started. It's fun, the way I play, but I know that infuriates most other players.

C. Ross
02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I heard Carl Hiassen on NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. My wife and I had to stay in the car after parking at the store to hear the end of his interview. Hilarious. Thanks for the recommendation.

Barry
02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I heard Carl Hiassen on NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. My wife and I had to stay in the car after parking at the store to hear the end of his interview. Hilarious. Thanks for the recommendation.
Me Too. too funny
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35&prgDate=2-5-2011

Mad Scientist
02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I gave up on golf several years ago - on one horrific day when I lost 22 balls in 18 holes, due to an incurable hook.

Still, I must admit that it does attract some very good writers.

Tom

David W Pratt
02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I like Hiassen, Naked Came the Manatee is fun.