PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to stop and smell the Rose's

bobbys
02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
My good friend died a few days ago, Another friend that drank himself to death, After his Brother died last year of drinking he could not recover.

Bill Had a Commercial linen service for 30 years and worked night and day without a break.

His Wife left him 20 years ago and his 2 kids moved away, Many times Bill told me his dream was to sell out, travel, invent things and study Scientific things.

They had a little get together yesterday and i ran down after work, Only his family was there, No friends as all he did was work, I'm very glad I went as I lightened the mood by stories of him and I talked to his Mother, The poor Lady lost 2 sons to drink.

His Daughter was there with her3 month old Baby , Bill had never seen the Baby his only Grandchild, Very Sad.

The Manager bought the Business so i am glad the daughter will get a few bucks.

Well at any rate here was a fellow worked night and day for 30 years and in the end never did anything he wanted to do..

His Family said they had a place for him in Idaho to retire and be with them.

I mentioned to his Brother, Bill never lived his dreams, His Brother replied He Drank his dreams.

A sad Legacy..

None of my friends that drank and smoked have made it past 55.

Doctor said one or 2 drinks only in one day.

Please stop and smell the rose's on life's journey..

Yes this means YOU!!!!

Phillip Allen
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
good advice...always

L.W. Baxter
02-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Touching and true, Bobbys. Sorry for the loss of your friend. There's some hard living on the Oregon coast, eh?

I went to the funeral of an elderly next door neighbor a few years back, and my family were the only folks there under the age of sixty, except for the daughter who was apparently estranged. Somehow my two young children, who had only conversed with Duane a few times over the fence between our yards, felt like the focal point of the whole affair. I ended up being the only person who spoke about the man with anything other than some dull generalized platitude, despite the fact my entire relationship was small talk in the yard. At the reception after, his widow came and sat at our table, rather than with any of her church friends, or even her own daughter. I was deeply saddened, and a little spooked by it. That funeral taught me several lessons I'll never forget.

Chris Coose
02-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Last night about 25 of us assembled in a "brother's" bedroom to pray and for most of us to say goodby.
Reg's lights are dimming quickly after a brain cancer diagnosis nearly 3 years ago.
The 25 of us represented a massive community of friends and family knit together by alcoholism (in remission).

Had I known during my darkest days that I could experience the openness and love that could be found on the other side I may have quit sooner but that isn't in the cards for most who are plagued with alcoholism simply because it is "cunning, baffling and powerful". Too powerful.

Sorry for your loss bobbys.

skipper68
02-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear. It seems as we age,the grim reaper shows up more often. By time Grandma and Grandpa left,only us kids were left. All their friends pre deceased them. It sounds like the brother leaving left a heart ache. Condolences.

seanz
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Smelling the roses is fine........but standing in the raspberry patch eating berries is better.
:)