PDA

View Full Version : Small craft Advisor Column

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 04:33 PM
I wrote this for small craft advisor

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/

I know this could be a dangerous thing to post in the bilge.....

but I would welcome some feedback - but please try to avoid being rude

Dylan

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/index.php/blogs/column-for-small-craft-advisor/

Brian Palmer
02-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Very nicely done. You really capture the sense of why our coastal areas are so valuable, and it is regrettable what we have done to them, for which we all share some blame. But, I do not think you have any personal responsibility for BP and Gulf Coast for which you need to apologize.

Brian

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Very nicely done. You really capture the sense of why our coastal areas are so valuable, and it is regrettable what we have done to them, for which we all share some blame. But, I do not think you have any personal responsibility for BP and Gulf Coast for which you need to apologize.

Brian

thats true.... but I think that if a big american company had done to essex what BP did to your coast then I think I would like to read something by an American who saw the spill as something other than an expensive problem - which is the way I think they treated the incident.

Dylan

genglandoh
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Good job.

PS
It is snowing like crazy here in Ohio today.
So I watched some of your videos today to cheer me up.

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
its not as good as sailing - bu when I am editing the films I am right back there and remember and see all sorts of things - windshifts and boats I never noticed at the time

Dylan

genglandoh
02-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Next week I will be in Texas working on a Paper Mill Lime Kiln.
I watched the "ktl50-2009-beaumont-harwich-stour" video with the old lime kiln footage.

I may show it to the guys so they can see how far the technology has come.

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
I think that would a great thing to do - I never know where to pitch the industrial archaeology stuff. I just put stuff in that I find interesting - and it has to be visible from the water

I like to know aboutthe things I see as I sail past

Dylan

rbgarr
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
The book 'Alongshore' by John Stilgoe is a treasure of appreciation. http://www.amazon.com/Alongshore-Professor-John-R-Stilgoe/product-reviews/0300060173/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

He also wrote two other wonderful books : Shallow Water Dictionary, and Lifeboat

Ian McColgin
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Well written, Dylan. And a hearty second on "Alongshore." Stilgoe wrote a real masterpiece is more amazing insights per page than most of us have per lifetime.

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 06:04 PM
just ordered a copy

sounds perfect

Dylan

Ian McColgin
02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
The problem with Stilge is that he is so amazing that your pen nib will curl with envy and your ego will shrivel at ever daring to write again.

dylan winter
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
but you can always read and learn and then have a go at the same thing elsewhere

this planet is a big place

and we might as well spend as much time in the nice places as we can possibly engineer

Dylan

David G
02-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Very nicely done. Funny... I'd just ordered Stilgoe's "Lifeboat". Guess I'll have to take a look at Alongshore too.

Breakaway
02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed that. Descriptive, evocative, and well -written in that you made your point without hitting me over the head with it or leaving me guessing.

Kevin

Brian Palmer
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
thats true.... but I think that if a big american company had done to essex what BP did to your coast then I think I would like to read something by an American who saw the spill as something other than an expensive problem - which is the way I think they treated the incident.

Dylan

Dylan,

I agree and I appreciate your sentiment on that point. Too much of the talk here was that "we'll make this right." When in fact, you can't fix something like the mess made of the coast (there are reports of dead baby dolphins coming ashore along the Gulf Coast now) and you can't bring back the 11 people who died on the rig.

Brian

daniel25
02-25-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/feb/25/gulf-of-mexico-dolphin-deaths
29 found so far. not too optimistic about next pogie season but they say we will not be affected

dylan winter
02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
Dylan,

I agree and I appreciate your sentiment on that point. Too much of the talk here was that "we'll make this right." When in fact, you can't fix something like the mess made of the coast (there are reports of dead baby dolphins coming ashore along the Gulf Coast now) and you can't bring back the 11 people who died on the rig.

Brian

Mind you...I think the boot to the neck comment from your own most excellent head honcho got things off to a rocky start.

I was surprised at the rhetoric

IMHO

D

John Smith
02-26-2011, 08:45 AM
I used to subscribe to that magazine. Then, one day, I asked them how they could do an honest review on a boat given to them for a week to review; seemed a conflict of interest. If they give the boat a bad review, they may not be given more boats from that source.

The response was rather nasty, so I cancelled.

Brian Palmer
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Mind you...I think the boot to the neck comment from your own most excellent head honcho got things off to a rocky start.

I was surprised at the rhetoric

IMHO

D

The "boot on the neck" comment was from Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Department of the Interior, just to clarify.

rbgarr
02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Nicely written.

I admit that I don't 'gunkhole' quite that intensely, but I'm especially fond of anchoring in small, scenic coves along the New England coast, especially in Maine... and I'd hate to think what a massive oil spill might do to that precious seashore.

Hasn't Buzzards Bay experienced some oil spills?

Dan McCosh
02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Whatever the article is, what I get is a page describing the web site.

dylan winter
02-26-2011, 04:32 PM
apologies to head man then - blimey this is becoming a habit. Must stop.

I do remember as a kid though our beaches in the Uk were covered in globs of oil - the tankers used to flush their tanks out into the north sea

never see oil on beaches now

now we have million sof tonnes of human ordure that comes down the rivers. The Thames has special bubbling ships to oxygenate the water now.

As for the small craft advisor article -most of you chaps were pretty gentle with me - and no comments on the literals that were scattered through the thing.

Dylan

RichKrough
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I saw your article in SCA about a week ago. I enjoyed it as I have your previous columns. being a thin water sailor myself your articles and videos get me through the winter months.
I really enjoy SCA. one the few magazines that shows any love for us plastic trailer sailors.

dylan winter
02-27-2011, 07:13 AM
SCA - one of the good things about SCA is that they do not approach sailing as though we are all rolling in money. They are also prepared to print articles wher epeople take risks in small boats

I don't mean crazy stupid ocean crossing risks but people who take quite long coastal trips without $5,000 worth of Epirbs, radios, radar sets.

They also celebrate the thin water sailors of this world

It is a magazine owned and run by ordinary sailors - not by some mega-corp that also owns 17 magazines about skateboarding

although they pay their contributors horribly small amounts of money for the articles they do pay on time - which is the next best thing

So the magazine is run by honourable, thoroughbly nice people - although I have never met them

Dylan