PDA

View Full Version : Modern Youth

David W Pratt
02-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Last week I gave a presentation on genetic testing for a course I am taking. When I discussed Huntington's disease, I mentioned that Woodie Guthrie was the most famous person who ever had it. The Prof asked me to tell them who he was. No spark of recognition, in fact, no recognition of Arlo and Alice's Restaurant (sigh).

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Modern youth live day by day..

Ian McColgin
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, and while most actual musicians know a good deal of musical heritage, people like me never heard of Jack Smith either. So what?

We must remember what our parents said about us and theirs said about them and so on. If any of it were true devolution would have triumphed and the cockroaches would rule.

Well . . . perhaps they do.

leikec
02-22-2011, 10:31 AM
It's amazing what the younger generation knows (and I mean that sincerely)--and it is equally amazing (and scary) when you find out what they don't know.

My friend and I used to perform Jimmie Rodgers "California Blues" every show. I can't tell you how many times we were asked "Did you guys write that?", followed by "Who's Jimmie Rodgers? Was he in a band? Is he a local guy?"

Twenty-somethings have no clue about the history of anything.

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Ian..I have a pamplet (actually a letter ) written by a minister to the bishop of his diocese complaining of the youth of the minister's flock.. Lazy, rude, arrogant, uneducated, stupid, ...a long list: 18 pages of complaints..Read like an up to date letter. Could see in the writing, images of ourselves as kids...even 25 yrs ago and certainly looking at the modern kids today, the same images... I've read the letter...Agreed with the minister's comments from page one to 18..And then I came to the last page...Letter was written on Feb. 26, 1691

Captain Intrepid
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Last week I gave a presentation on genetic testing for a course I am taking. When I discussed Huntington's disease, I mentioned that Woodie Guthrie was the most famous person who ever had it. The Prof asked me to tell them who he was. No spark of recognition, in fact, no recognition of Arlo and Alice's Restaurant (sigh).

Your point being? I hardly expect the youth of the 40s knew all the celebrities of the 1890s.

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Perhaps a bad example...

Captain Intrepid
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Sorry, that was aimed at the opening post. I'll edit it to reflect that.

Pugwash
02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Lazy, rude, arrogant, uneducated, stupid, ...... I've read the letter...Agreed with the minister's comments from page one to 18..

I'd be worried too, if I was you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93n8RZjkCgE

But I'm not (either).

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I agreed because his perception written in 1691 were as I often see kids..But like the generations post 1691, kids grow up, as thy will here, and for the most part, make decent adults and consequently decisions... Kids will be kids.

oznabrag
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Puggy!

Good to see you!

McMike
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cD_6kC7zRs

Have any of you old farts ever heard of this song?

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
The only thing I can say is that "Alice's Rest" is played every Thanksgiving ...all of it..the long version...

Pugwash
02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
I agreed because his perception written in 1691 were as I often see kids
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." -Allegedly Plato.

""The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress." -Allegedly Peter the Hermit (1274)

leikec
02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cD_6kC7zRs

Have any of you old farts ever heard of this song?

Yes :D

It's old...like me.

Jeff C

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
and who is to blame for that?

leikec
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
and who is to blame for that?

I blame my mother...and 21st century medicine. I'm also very suspicious of anti-bacterial hand soap....

Jeff C

McMike
02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
There is an event horizon or a Lagrange point that any contemporary generation will not see past as relevant to them. It doesn't make them outta touch it makes them normal.

McMike
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes :D

It's old...like me.

Jeff C

Holy carp!!!!! How old are you anyway?:D

LeeG
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM

obviously the most famous category changes with time and generations

LeeG
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM
There is an event horizon or a Lagrange point that any contemporary generation will not see past as relevant to them. It doesn't make them outta touch it makes them normal.

zactly

leikec
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

True, and I have a great deal of hope for the twenty-somethings. Most of them seem to be good kids, and I understand that they grew up in a different world. I'll just have to accept the fact that they don't know whether the Civil War happened before or after WWII.

Jeff C

McMike
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
I'll just have to accept the fact that they don't know whether the Civil War happened before or after WWII.

Jeff C

Alright, that is a little unforgivable IMHO. I would bust my kids chops big time for not knowing that.

artif
02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I suppose all those 20 year olds were born with the full history of the world pre programmed into their brains, just like we were. Maybe just maybe they are more concerned with making their own history, right now.

leikec
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I suppose all those 20 year olds were born with the full history of the world pre programmed into their brains, just like we were. Maybe just maybe they are more concerned with making their own history, right now.

Of course they are--and I really think they are less arrogant (as a group) than the average baby-boomer was at the same age. I'm not kidding when I say that I have great hope for the twenty-somethings.

Jeff C

Chris Coose
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
All my kids know what "a little green rosetta" is and where it comes from.

Flying Orca
02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
'Round here at least the cool kids know Arlo and Woodie, because they all go to the Folk Festival... so they've seen Arlo, and they've seen friends of Woodie's like Utah Phillips, and they've heard people like Billy Bragg keep Woodie's tunes current.

Our festival is kind of special that way - not so much because of the content, although it's generally quite good, but because it's a must for so many people.

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
I must admit..I ain't up to par on the music kids watch these days either.I am waiting for my second childhood to catch up..

WX
02-22-2011, 03:47 PM
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." -Allegedly Plato.

""The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress." -Allegedly Peter the Hermit (1274)
-Allegedly Plato. You beat me to it but I will be smug and say...Socrates actually.:)

Pugwash
02-22-2011, 05:19 PM
-Allegedly Plato. You beat me to it but I will be smug and say...Socrates actually.:)

Allegedly Plato, quoting Socrates allegedly.

Better?

:)

hokiefan
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
True, and I have a great deal of hope for the twenty-somethings. Most of them seem to be good kids, and I understand that they grew up in a different world. I'll just have to accept the fact that they don't know whether the Civil War happened before or after WWII.

Jeff C

We were watching MASH reruns the other night and I tried to explain to my son (14) that it was set in the Korean War, but much of the commentary was about the Vietnam war. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "Its all history to me, even though you were around for one of them. Just never remember which one!"

Cheers,

Bobby