PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy the 40 hour work week and weekends off?

wardd
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Thank the progressive union movement

The Bigfella
02-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Nah, the benefits you wish to ascribe to the union movement are more the result of the free enterprise system.

Unions have been just one of the development facilitating tools. Management research and development has made them pretty much a tool of the past.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't know, never worked a 40 hour week, and never was guaranteed weekends off.

seanz
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
In Oz it was stonemasons that won the right.
http://www.8hourday.org.au/images/monument.asp?URL=../news_archive.asp

seanz
02-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Nah, the benefits you wish to ascribe to the union movement are more the result of the free enterprise system.

Unions have been just one of the development facilitating tools. Management research and development has made them pretty much a tool of the past.

Ah, management. The tools of the future...........

wardd
02-21-2011, 05:29 PM

management research you say?

you make it sound all fuzzy and soft and caring

wardd
02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
40 hour work week and weekends off? Are you daft man? The only people I know who enjoy that sort of schedule are government workers, who by the way are enjoying one of their many days off today while their servants in the private sector toil to pay their superior salaries and best of the best health insurance and pension benefits.

You telling me union members live like this, too? Ooooh, way to garner sympathy.

don't you want to join a union?

since I retired i haven't had a day off or weekends, on call 24/7

Uncle Duke
02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Superior salaries?
Yeah... that must be why so many "superior" private sector workers are flooding the government with employment applications.
Oh, wait.... they're not....
Oh... and never have been.
Huh.
:D

stevebaby
02-21-2011, 05:46 PM
I worked for more than 20 years in government departments. I think in all that time I had 2 weeks when I would have worked 40 hrs. For 10 of those years I had 1 weekend off in 4,was ordered to work overtime and wasn't entitled to any meal breaks. When I worked for Sydney Ferries we rarely had days off and when we did get them,we were on call.Failure to report for duty when on call resulted in dismissal on the second occasion.
Outside of government employment,I've never worked a 40hr. week...ever.
Now I don't really need to work at all,and I'm not going to unless it's in a voluntary capacity.
I missed too much of my kids growing up,and I'll never get that back,so I'm damn sure going to try to make up for that now.

wardd
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I worked for more than 20 years in government departments. I think in all that time I had 2 weeks when I would have worked 40 hrs. For 10 of those years I had 1 weekend off in 4,was ordered to work overtime and wasn't entitled to any meal breaks. When I worked for Sydney Ferries we rarely had days off and when we did get them,we were on call.Failure to report for duty when on call resulted in dismissal on the second occasion.
Outside of government employment,I've never worked a 40hr. week...ever.
Now I don't really need to work at all,and I'm not going to unless it's in a voluntary capacity.
I missed too much of my kids growing up,and I'll never get that back,so I'm damn sure going to try to make up for that now.

the other advantage of 40 hours is overtime

Uncle Duke
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
the other advantage of 40 hours is overtime
So... your suggestion is that peoiple who work for the government should get paid some fixed salary regardless of how much work is required? Or.,. what?
Honest - what, exactly, is it that you are pissed-off about?

WX
02-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I prefer the 4 day weekend model.
It works for me.

Waddie
02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
In the US we opted for more money and less time off. Europeans opted for less money and more time off.

regards,
Waddie

BrianW
02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I think I'd prefer one of those government jobs, even better perks. Now that you mention it, how about a best of both worlds unionized government job?!

You mean like fire fighters and police?

stevebaby
02-21-2011, 07:25 PM
the other advantage of 40 hours is overtime True,I was pretty well paid working for the government.

Tall Boy
02-22-2011, 05:00 AM
The title of this thread should read..........do you enjoy being average?

Meli
02-22-2011, 05:06 AM
I'm on a 35 hour week, double time on sunday, 4 weeks annual 15 days personal, super, GO THE UNIONS :p

The Bigfella
02-22-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm on a two to three month year... nine to ten months annual leave. Go management.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Could it be that the anti-union movement in Wisconsin is promoted and supported by people possessing so little knowlege of the history of Labor that they believe the steady diet of union-bashing they hear and read in media and in conversation with their friends? For many many years it's been cool to bash labor unions.

I once asked a thoughtful former Teamster why decent union members supported Hoffa. He replied that it was simply a measure of how bad working conditions were for Teamsters prior to WW2. Then he went on to outline some of them. Prior to that I had no idea what a Teamster's life was actually like, beyond seeing 18-wheelers rolling down the highway.

Moby Nick

goodbasil
02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm on a 4 day 36 hour week, but paid for 37.5 hours, plus 5 weeks vacation. Weekends off.

Captain Intrepid
02-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Could it be that the anti-union movement in Wisconsin is promoted and supported by people possessing so little knowlege of the history of Labor that they believe the steady diet of union-bashing they hear and read in media and in conversation with their friends? For many many years it's been cool to bash labor unions.

I once asked a thoughtful former Teamster why decent union members supported Hoffa. He replied that it was simply a measure of how bad working conditions were for Teamsters prior to WW2. Then he went on to outline some of them. Prior to that I had no idea what a Teamster's life was actually like, beyond seeing 18-wheelers rolling down the highway.

Moby Nick

People also often forget that strikers used to be shot at, beaten and sometimes killed by cops and company security.

Dan McCosh
02-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Superior salaries?
Yeah... that must be why so many "superior" private sector workers are flooding the government with employment applications.
Oh, wait.... they're not....
Oh... and never have been.
Huh.
:D Around here, anytime a political seat opens up--state rep, county commissioner, etc., it's common to have 25 candidates or so. Only about one or two for the unpaid city positions, however.

Dan McCosh
02-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Might add that the only union activity I was involved in was mainly to get paid for a 60-hour week, which was what we were working.

Bob Adams
02-22-2011, 07:48 AM
The Unions time has indeed past, you can be assured management will take fine care of it's workers. Just ask anyone who works for WalMart.

Uncle Duke
02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Great salaries and benefits for public sector workers? Hmm.... maybe we should look at the actual numbers. Here's an analysis from the Economic Policy Institute which looks at total compensation (wages, benefits, pension, etc) for public vs. private employees sorted out by educational achievement. From here (http://www.epi.org/economic_snapshots/entry/wisconsin_public_servants_already_face_a_compensat ion_penalty/), where there is also a nice link to a 20 year study at the bottom.
http://www.epi.org/page/-/wisconsin_public_sector.jpg

wardd
02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
The Unions time has indeed past, you can be assured management will take fine care of it's workers. Just ask anyone who works for WalMart.

the way things are going everybody will work at walmart like companies

Uncle Duke
02-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, let's do. Instead of your cherry picked numbers of a single industry in a single state, let's look at the big picture.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ecec.pdf
That is a nice link and a nice report on raw data. It includes this in it's summary:

Compensation cost levels in state and local government should not be directly compared with levels in private industry. Differences between these sectors stem from factors such as variation in work activities and occupational structures. Manufacturing and sales, for example, make up a large part of private industry work activities but are rare in state and local government. Management, professional and administrative support occupations (including teachers) account for two-thirds of the state and local government workforce, compared with two-fifths of private industry.
Those differences are the reason why the EPI study broke down compensation by educational attainment instead of by job category.
And - I have no idea what you mean by "single industry in a single state"...perhaps you could explain what the "single industry" is, in the EPI data.

Dutch
02-22-2011, 08:56 AM
40 hour work weeks and weekends off are for losers. If you really want to make something of yourself in this life youll be working quite a bit more than 40 hours a week and taking the weekends off.

Bob Adams
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Demand for Walmart's way of doing business is on the decline.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/WalMarts-US-sales-woes-rb-1909513686.html?x=0&.v=5

Yeah, pity the poor Waltons. The company ONLY made $5.02 BILLION in the 4th quarter, I gues they will be putting the squeeze on us suppliers and thier overpaid employees to make up for the poor preformance.;)

wardd
02-22-2011, 09:28 AM
There's no making some people happy. :rolleyes: You come on here bellyaching about Walmart all the time, yet when I post an article showing that your arch enemy is on the ropes, you gripe about that, too.

to the righties any one that thinks differently than they do is an arch enemy including some of their own

wardd
02-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you realize that most of your posts make absolutely no sense?

to you perhaps

Pugwash
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
http://www.caglecartoons.com/images/preview/%7B20f346be-2222-4bf9-b96a-f7c959b48ca6%7D.gif

BrianW
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Do you realize that most of your posts make absolutely no sense?

They are mostly weak insults. I expected as much, when this thread didn't go the way he planned.

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I suspect that many who oppose unions do not nec. oppose them as a whole but the ongoing abuses of some members...ex...10 workers needed to change a tire..10 workers standing there while 2 do the work, five school superintendents for three schools in this town...Why?...Abuses are what people see..It only takes two rotten apples to poison a barrel...

Captain Intrepid
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
40 hour work weeks and weekends off are for losers. If you really want to make something of yourself in this life youll be working quite a bit more than 40 hours a week and taking the weekends off.

I plan on taking 6 months off every year. Does that mean I'm lazy?

Bob Adams
02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
There's no making some people happy. :rolleyes: You come on here bellyaching about Walmart all the time, yet when I post an article showing that your arch enemy is on the ropes, you gripe about that, too.

Hard time recognizing sarcasim? BTW, 11 posts is not long enough to see me do much WalMart bellyaching.....who are you really?

Y Bar Ranch
02-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I just spent a year where the joke was, "Friday...only two more work days until Monday."

wardd
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I plan on taking 6 months off every year. Does that mean I'm lazy?

only if you tend to vote democratic

if you vote republican you are enjoying the fruits of you industrious labors

Pugwash
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
SB222 (http://www.senate.mo.gov/11info/BTS_Web/Bill.aspx?SessionType=R&BillID=4124271)

I'm going to change my name to Fagin.

Captain Intrepid
02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
only if you tend to vote democratic

if you vote republican you are enjoying the fruits of you industrious labors

Actually I tend to vote NDP or Liberal. :P

leikec
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Hard time recognizing sarcasim? BTW, 11 posts is not long enough to see me do much WalMart bellyaching.....who are you really?

He likes to delete his posts--and based on the content, I agree with him. My only wish is that he would streamline the process and delete before posting.

Jeff C

PhaseLockedLoop
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

The 40-hour work week, with time and a half for overtime, was established by the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1937, and applied to most workers. Before that, employers could keep their people as long as they wanted. My mother, for example, worked in the bookkeeping section of an Omaha meat-packing plant, and when time came to do the trial balance, if there was an error of a penny, everyone stayed as late as necessary to rectify it. Till midnight, sometimes. Come the FLSA, and management fixed their kludged-up accounting system, and the accounting section--the same people, mind you--went home at five. A classic example of how workers' unpaid time had been substituted for competent management. The FLSA was but one of the products of union activity. Management research, my ass.

wardd
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
They are mostly weak insults. I expected as much, when this thread didn't go the way he planned.

actually i enjoy letting threads go where they will

i even enjoy wrong headed replys

leikec
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.politifake.org/image/political/1101/you-just-might-be-a-liberal-tolerance-yeah-right-political-poster-1293918742.jpg (http://www.politifake.org/you-just-might-be-a-liberal-tolerance-yeah-right-political-poster-5408.html)

Now, now--I'm trying to support you. We are both in favor of your self-deleting...we just disagree on the timing. And your picture is silly--a liberal would wear a better tie.

Jeff C

coelacanth2
02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Nobody likes a smart Alec, Ian:p.

Somehow I think I've said that to you before.

S.V. Airlie
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I have no issues with Ian's posts except he is a bit further to the left than I am..No problem with that either. I do find those who call anyone who is not a liberal, ignorant, uneducated etc. and making attempt, from his perspective to educate some to his own perspectives and agendas..Now that really bothers me.. He can give educated responses and allow the readers to make up their own minds which Ian does..You don't beat those opposed to one's agenda over the head with a stick..

One does not get converts in that manner.

John Meachen
02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Why not move to France?Everybody has a 35 hour week,at least 23 days off plus public holidays and universal healthcare.

wardd
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Why not move to France?Everybody has a 35 hour week,at least 23 days off plus public holidays and universal healthcare.

why don't we get some of that here?

coelacanth2
02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Jamie, my remark about smart Alec was meant in jest with no malice intended. I thoroughly enjoy both his and your posts, and would hope not to offend.