PDA

View Full Version : Extruded fairing baton

rgranger
02-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey All

I recently read in Glen-L's book on plywood boat building, a short reference to an extruded fairing baton. It sounded like a great idea. The author said it could be coiled for storage etc.

I've been searching the web trying to find a supplier to no luck. And during my frustration it occurred to me that I've never seen a similar reference to a fiberglass fairing baton.

Does anyone know of such?
I think I'd like to add this to my tool chest if I can find it.

r

Ian McColgin
02-15-2011, 11:44 AM
What a cool thing - coilable fairing batten.

At a sail loft I worked in we had at hand very long batten lengths in stock which we could use in a limited way. In all boatshops I've known new fairing battens might be made for a job but then become part of the inventory so that most possible needs are already at hand. A fairing batten is interesting to make because it needs to lie flat when pressed to the desired marks along a curve - it needs to have a minimal tendency for the inner edge to lift. The tighter the curve, the thinner the batten needs to be. The longer the curve, the fatter the batten needs to be. And clear wood, even bending, all the way. It's rather pleasing to make them, building the inventory over the years, just as one makes spar and other specialty planes as needed, eventualy having a most complete kit.

JimConlin
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Pultruded fiberglass square or rectangular rods are manufactured in very long lengths and sold through plastic distributors. The distribution channel for plastic goods mostly handles lengths up to 20'.

Bainbridge (http://www.bainbridgeint.com/displayPage.asp?id=1)supples battens up to 100' to the sailmaking trade, but I expect that you might find something locally.

john welsford
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I use a section of plastic thats sold for joining the wall panels in a wet area such as a bathroom, its available in cut lengths up to 16 ft, and can be bought in longer lengths on special order .

John Welsford