PDA

View Full Version : WB #210 May Be A Watershed Issue For Me

Nicholas Scheuer
02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I have been eagerly awaiting its arival (yesterday) since seeing the cover featured on the WB website home page.

Two low-power, efficient power boats appear, the SPARKS with hybrid electric power, and the RACHEL H.

Add to that, Getting Started In Boats, is about Power Boat handling.

After 55 years of sailing small boats, most of them without motors, I am interested in an efficient, slow, power cruiser that will utilize a Bukh 10-hp Diesel I bought cheap.

Moby Nick

mcdenny
02-15-2011, 08:53 AM
I haven't got my copy yet but had a nice chat and boat tour with Ted Moores at the Clayton NY boat show last summer. Sparks is a beautiful boat with a super high tech power system.

Its inspiration came from William Deed's half cabin hunting launch described in Weston Farmer's "From My Old Boatshop" book. That book has a wealth of info about efficient displacement power boats, ones that would be perfect for a 10 hp diesel. It's amazing how little power (and fuel) is needed to push a slippery displacement hull at 1.0 or 1.2 S/L.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the book tip, Denny! I like Weston Farmer's writing a lot.

This photo illustrates why a hull exactly like the Shearwater Yawl we now sail would suit my perfectly. The pic shows us steaming at just under huill speed under the power of our 9.9-hp Yamaha-HT. Notice how neatly the bow wave curls over perhaps 5-ft aft of the cutwater, and how mild the stern wave. The splashing alonside is due to our starboard leeboard.

Moby Nick

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5410570979_7454696447_b.jpg