X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skipper68
    Banned
    • May 2010

Promises,Promises;Widows"TAX" lingers

WASHINGTON-Tens of thousands of the nation's war widow's find it "perplexing,and downright disrespectful to their late military husbands:In order to collect on their insurance their husbands bought for them,when alive,they MUST marry another man!...And to qualify,the widows must remarry when they are 57 or older. Those who remarry earlier miss out,as do widows who never remarry.Thoughts??
  • skipper68
    Banned
    • May 2010

Re: Promises,Promises;Widows"TAX" lingers

OOPS I mistook those here,as a community that would care. HOW will a widow choose to deal with this..................If it was your daughter,mother,sister,some one would change this.I just thought I would bring this to you,hoping SOMEONE would change the law. It is from the dark ages,for our HERO'S wives.UUGGHH!

Comment

• ljb5
      • Jan 2004

This seems very unusual. Can you provide some more information about the issue?

Also, I noticed you left out the word "fully." Was that an accident or deliberate omission?
      ”If you look at it from a contextual standpoint, I think it's accurate. If you contextualize in concrete numbers fashion, it's not accurate."

Comment

• Phillip Allen
        • May 2002

I've never heard of this...
        The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
        Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• skipper68
          Banned
          • May 2010

Google "War widows must remarry" You will find hundreds of "WTF" Beyond shocking. My husband is a Veteran..can you even comprehend having to remarry,after your love of your life is gone? This is soooo wrong. Thanks for reading it. Dirty little secret. Pay your premium,but.......your widow must remarry??? WHO,thinks that crap up???

Comment

• Paul Pless
            pinko commie tree hugger
            • Oct 2003

At the heart of the issue is a government policy known as the "widows' tax." It says a military spouse whose loved one dies from a service-related cause can't collect both survivor's benefits and the full annuity benefits from insurance the couple bought from the Defense Department at retirement. Instead, the amount of the annuity payment is reduced by the amount of the monthly survivor benefit.
            link
            Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
              • May 2002

Originally posted by Paul Pless
              what administration's feet may we lay this at?
              The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Comment

• Paul Pless
                pinko commie tree hugger
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Phillip Allen
                what administration's feet may we lay this at?
                It appears to be a Congressional issue not a White House one, Phillip. . .
                Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Comment

• skipper68
                  Banned
                  • May 2010

Thanks. I'm not very happy with it. The same happened with the retirement,and a disabled,service connected. They would take out the disability pension,from the service connected disabled pension.At the retirement they earned,the disabled was removed. If we don't take care of our Hero's and their family's,who will join? JOIN is the word.It is soo petty.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by Paul Pless
                    It appears to be a Congressional issue not a White House one, Phillip. . .
                    it is beginning to sound familiar...I must have heard of it in my foggy past. sounds like something I would complain about then get yelled at for complaining and told I'm ignernt

Comment

• skipper68
                      Banned
                      • May 2010

I didn't make that clear. The retirement they earned,was off set by their disability pension. So,you get X amount of retirement money. You were disabled in combat. your 80%. They would take it away,like peter paying paul. Slap in the face,is what it was. THAT"s better now,but the widows tax is a "WTF!" How can they say,to get your beloved's choice of life ins,you must remarry???Who???

Comment

Working...