PDA

View Full Version : Apollo redux

ishmael
02-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm just a little man, sitting in a little spot here on earth. Re-watching the story of the moon landing via a film I admire, "The Dish." I love that film. Australian made, from an Australian perspective, and I just love it.

It's about very small human emotions of love and fear. It's about grand things: getting a man on the moon so people on earth can watch it, screwing up, covering your ass when things aren't going right but you're sure you can make it right, the relationship between what isn't working and what will.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but probably mostly. One of the portrayals that is worth remarking is how much that endeavor relied on humans, manning the machines. Computers were in their relative infancy, and if something screwed up it was humans figuring the calculus with their slide rules.

They suffer a computer breakdown after a power outage and they're trying to figure out the trajectory of Apollo Eleven, which as the main tracking station in the Southern Hemisphere is their main job. They're scratching their heads as to how to regain telemetry, and the Yank in the bunch says, "They're on a track to the moon, it has to be within' a degree or two." They regain telemetry.

Great stuff. It has nothing to do with macho prowess, it's just, after hours of suffering over it, this will work!

It works, and everyone at Parks radio telescope sighs a sigh of relief.

I probably won't be alive to see it, but let's, all of us, go back to the moon and on to Mars. East Asia and the Western powers are all potentially vibrant. Let's build space ships, rather than warships.

Waddie
02-06-2011, 12:32 AM
I loved everything about the manned space program and now the robots to Mars and the solar deep space missions. I agree with you that I would rather mankind spend money and risk life and limb on this than more weapons development. It would be great to see an American-Iranian joint mission to the moon. Space exploration reflects every positive instinct of mankind.

You probably know of all the neat inventions attributed to the space program, like handheld computers and teflon, not to mention the Hubbel telescope.

regards,
Waddie

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-06-2011, 01:08 AM
You're in love with moonshots but wanna' kill bin Laden? I hate to see with what you'll hit us with tomorrow".

stevebaby
02-06-2011, 01:12 AM
You're in love with moonshots but wanna' kill bin Laden? I hate to see with what you'll hit us with tomorrow".
Let's send bin Laden to Mars!

ishmael
02-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Chuck,

I have no desire to kill Bin Laden except insofar he wants to kill us.

There's so much life energy available, and it does seem at a point of making decisions. Do we want to continue these tribal warfares or do something more interesting with that energy?

I vote for putting the various criminals on trial, and then getting on with a destiny that is being held back by the various religious and tribal BS.

We are destined for the stars. Destiny is not certainty, but I believe we will turn this difficult corner.

seanz
02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Let's send bin Laden to Mars!

Tell him he's going to Mars.....then send him to Venus.......he'll hate that on so many levels.

stevebaby
02-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Bin Laden:"This suuuuucks dude!"

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Chuck,

I have no desire to kill Bin Laden except insofar he wants to kill us.

There's so much life energy available, and it does seem at a point of making decisions. Do we want to continue these tribal warfares or do something more interesting with that energy?

I vote for putting the various criminals on trial, and then getting on with a destiny that is being held back by the various religious and tribal BS.

We are destined for the stars. Destiny is not certainty, but I believe we will turn this difficult corner.

Sorry I was so obtuse.
What I meant was you conveniently dodged out of you previous post when the answers weren't going your way and immediately jumped into this thread on space shots.
If you are trying to create the image of being a lightweight you're doing a good job. You seem to be infected with the Tylerdurden syndrome where this site becomes your personal billboard and nothing else.

ishmael
02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
yawn

Uncle Duke
02-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm curious: why didn't you just re-open your thread from last month about the same movie?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?124850-Apollo-11-Australia-style

Paul Pless
02-07-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm curious: why didn't you just re-open your thread from last month about the same movie?
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?124850-Apollo-11-Australia-styleyawn;):d

LeeG
02-07-2011, 09:26 AM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?124850-Apollo-11-Australia-style

because the topics aren't meant to initiate discussion between people but as a reflection of what's passing through his head. Imagine a few dozen topics that roll through your head on a monthly basis and those recurring memories are how you measure time. Posting them every once in awhile reinforces the reality of your world as opposed to engaging with others on a weekly basis.

"let's go", "let us go to", together, no conflicts, away from here.