PDA

View Full Version : Good Medicine

botebum
02-04-2011, 09:53 AM
The ex dropped off Scooter this morning since the weather kept me out of work today. Scooter has an inner ear infection and was up most of the night in pain.

She crawled up in my lap, snuggled and asked if I could play some music on the laptop while I read the forum.

Yesterday I had gone through all my old CD's and came across a double CD set of John Denver. I thought when I found it that Scooter would like Denver so that's what I put on for her.

The first song was Leaving on a Jet Plane. "I've never heard this song before, Daddy. I really like it."

That was followed by Rhymes and Reasons and Follow Me. They were met with equal enthusiasm. She dozed through Aspenglow and was asleep in my arms before Sunshine on my Shoulders was over.

I tucked her up in her favorite blanket on the couch where she remains sleeping peacefully while Rocky Mountain High plays in the backround.

Denver always made me feel better too. More so today.

Doug

Uncle Duke
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Ahh - good stuff! Thanks for passing along a nice moment, Doug....

McMike
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks, I needed that.

BrianW
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice.

Concordia 33
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I always liked "For Bobby for Baby" which both Denver and Peter, Paul and Mary did well. I can't help but think of my kids when I hear it even though they are all grown up.

John of Phoenix
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Sweet. Always liked that collection.

AussieBarney
02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
picturing that has made my day. bask in the love

hokiefan
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
That made my day for a lot of reasons. Thanks for sharing Doug.

Cheers,

Bobby

Joe Dupere
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't been to many concerts in my lifetime, but I did manage to see John Denver live in Raleigh, NC back when I was in college, probably mid 70's. It was back when "Annie's Song" was his most recent hit. He put on a pretty good show.

Joe, FFPoP

Ed Harrow
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks Doug, that's a real picture of love and contentment.

KM Bever
02-04-2011, 08:23 PM
A friend of mine is a music therapist, she says "warm body, roast turkey, and folk music is the best medicine for sleeping" for kids. I guess I'm just a big kid, cause it works for me.

John Denver was a very nice guy, meet him and his dad at local airport in 70's. I talked to his dad for an hour, he flew a great hanger.

Bruce Taylor
02-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Awww. :)

"Leaving on a jet plane" is the reason I play guitar. I heard a kid at my school singing that song in, mmm, 1972, and knew right away I had to learn to do that.

Thanks for the lovely word-picture, Doug. Y>

Peter Kalshoven
02-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Doug, as I look back on the really great times I had with the kids when they were little, I am amazed at how many of the truly memorable moments involved listening to and making music.
By any true measure, you are a wealthy man. Thanks for sharing.