PDA

View Full Version : More WalMart negativity.

goodbasil
02-03-2011, 05:22 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-draws-ire-even-poor-parts-brooklyn-20110202-220058-835.html

TimH
02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Imagine that.....

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart's lengthy struggle to open in New York City has hit fresh problems -- a controversial report that said America's biggest discounter does not just sell cheap, it makes neighborhoods poorer. The report concludes that Wal-Mart, the biggest U.S. private employer, kills jobs rather than creates them, drives down wages and is a tax burden because it does not give health and other benefits to many part-time employees, leaving a burden on Medicaid and other public programs.
The New York City Council will hold a public hearing on Thursday on the impact a Wal-Mart would have but the retailer has declined to attend.
Wal-Mart dismisses the critical report -- released in January by City University of New York's Hunter College Center for Community Planning -- as "randomly selected statements from ... flawed studies."
The report is based on 50 studies of Wal-Mart openings and comes as the company tries to gain a foothold in some of New York's poorest neighborhoods.

"The overwhelming weight of the independent research on the impact of Wal-Mart stores ... shows that Wal-Mart depresses area wages and labor benefits ... pushes out more retail jobs than it creates, and results in more retail vacancies," the report concluded

TimH
02-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I would love to see the 'independent studies'.... in looking this over, I can't form an opinion, one way or the other... it's a case of TLI (too little information)

Here is the Hunter College report. A lot of it is based upon the Chicago research. And it contains references, lots and lots of references.

http://pubadvocate.nyc.gov/files/Walmart.pdf

paladin
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Before the Walmart that we have (it's 10 miles from here and just off the highway) we had a mom and pop coffee/sandwich shop nearby, 2 small independent grocery stores, a "general store" and a full blown hardware store.
Walmart opened with a snack shop inside/coffee, burgers etc.....less than a year later the mom and pop closed.....3-4 months later Walmart closed theirs as being unprofitable.
First one grocer left (did his own butchering) and then the other, Walmart then stopped selling a large variety of items and just sells bare essentials now. Same with the other stores. They have been replaced several times by a gym and a a couple other businesses. Now everyone drives to Annapolis except for the basic stuff at Walmart. I can get the same drug situation at Safeway. They just happened to be out of my drugs at the time. I usually have one of the ladies drive me to Annapolis about 3 times a month to Shoppers Food Warehouse for my grocery shopping.

genglandoh
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
First Malls were going to destroy towns, them K-mart, then online shopping, now Walmart.

The one thing I know for sure is "The Retail Industry will always keep changing"

nautiguy
02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
First Malls were going to destroy towns, them K-mart, then online shopping, now Walmart.

The one thing I know for sure is "The Retail Industry will always keep changing"

Well, each iteration of the retail landscape had its effect on independent businesses in small towns. If Walmart hasn't finished the job, I hate to see what the next bomb will look like.

TimH
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I wonder where PA and his ilk are. I am suprised they arent here laying out evidence to debunk those studies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg