PDA

View Full Version : Global War On Terror Day

Osborne Russell
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
February 4, 1899 -- “Global War On Terror Day” in the United States. The start of the Philippine-American war. When America made war on the Phillipines. All facts from Wikipedia, all emphasis added.

One year earlier, February 1898 – The explosion on the Maine in Havana Harbor was the pretext for pre-emptive war against Spain in Cuba, the Phillipines, etc. Further rationalized as punishing the terrorists in their own lands and helping in the liberation of foreigners, though without their invitation, in fact, against their wishes, but hey, America’s sacred mission and all that. Liberation became occupation, spawned insurrection, which spawned a war on terror, complete with torture, especially water-boarding. Possibly the most basely hypocritical episode in American history pre-9/11, among several other strong contenders.

The first Philippine Republic rebelled against the U.S. occupation, resulting in the Philippine-American War (1899–1913).

Which brings us to February 4, 1899, as good a date as any for the start of said war, the date of first bloodshed:

One common view of how the conflict began was that on February 4, 1899, a misunderstanding occurred between the two nations. A Filipino soldier was shot by an American soldier, William W. Grayson, at now Silencio Street, Manila. Grayson's own account states:

In a moment, something rose up slowly in front of us. It was a Filipino. I yelled “Halt!” and made it pretty loud, for I was accustomed to challenging the officer of the guard in approved military style. I challenged him with another loud “halt!” Then he shouted “halto!” to me. Well, I thought the best thing to do was to shoot him.

And suddenly the Filipinos had had enough of America’s liberating.

Aguinaldo subsequently tried to stop the hostilities and sent emissaries to the Americans, but General Elwell Otis replied: "Fighting having begun, must go on to the grim end." U.S. President William McKinley later told reporters “that the insurgents had attacked Manila” in justifying war on the Philippines.

The McKinley administration subsequently declared Aguinaldo to be an “outlaw bandit”, and no formal declaration of war was ever issued.

Ever since, history texts in American public schools always mention the Spanish- American war, and never mention the Philippine-American War; though, at the time, putting down the Phillipines was America’s God-ordained mission.

=========

Part 2 – The Water-boarding Angle

The “water cure” was among the forms of torture used by American soldiers on Filipinos during the Philippine-American War.

Lieutenant Grover Flint, during the Philippine-American War:

[quote]"A man is thrown down on his back and three or four men sit or stand on his arms and legs and hold him down; and either a gun barrel or a rifle barrel or a carbine barrel or a stick as big as a belaying pin, -- that is, with an inch circumference, -- is simply thrust into his jaws and his jaws are thrust back, and, if possible, a wooden log or stone is put under his head or neck, so he can be held more firmly. In the case of very old men I have seen their teeth fall out, -- I mean when it was done a little roughly. He is simply held down and then water is poured onto his face down his throat and nose from a jar; and that is kept up until the man gives some sign or becomes unconscious. And, when he becomes unconscious, he is simply rolled aside and he is allowed to come to. In almost every case the men have been a little roughly handled. They were rolled aside rudely, so that water was expelled. A man suffers tremendously, there is no doubt about it. His sufferings must be that of a man who is drowning, but cannot drown. ..."

========

Part 3 – Domestic Opposition, AKA, the America-haters.

The way the country puked up its ancient principles at the first touch of temptation was sickening. – William James

Ambition, interest, land-hunger, pride, the mere joy of fighting, whatever it may be, we are animated by a new sensation . . . The taste of Empire is in the mouth of the people even as the taste of blood in the jungle. – The Washington Post

We jettison all that was most precious in our national cargo . . . I fear that America is beginning a long course of error and wrong and is likely to become more and more a power for disturbance and barbarism. – Charles Elliot Norton

We hold that the policy known as imperialism is hostile to liberty and tends toward militarism, an evil from which it has been our glory to be free. We regret that it has become necessary in the land of Washington and Lincoln to reaffirm that all men, of whatever race or color, are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We maintain that governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed. We insist that the subjugation of any people is "criminal aggression" and open disloyalty to the distinctive principles of our government. -- Platform of the American Anti-Imperialist League, 1899

And as for a flag for the Philippine Province, it is easily managed. We can have a special one -- our States do it: we can have just our usual flag, with the white stripes painted black and the stars replaced by the skull and cross-bones. – Mark Twain, Vice President of the Anti-Imperialist League

purri
02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Don't forget Hawaii (the missionary and robber baron push) and Guatemala (Sandino).

Osborne Russell
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't forget Hawaii (the missionary and robber baron push) and Guatemala (Sandino).

Fer sure. Once the precedent of going offshore was set, so was America's character, and character is destiny, someone once said.