PDA

View Full Version : 12-14 footers

rantwine
11-20-2000, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to build a day sailor and have settled on either a hartley 12,a laker 12, or a Glen-l 14 . has any one out there have any info to help me narrow this down some more

Swidm
12-04-2000, 08:05 PM
Have you considered stevenson's designs at http://www.stevproj.com ? Easy to build, fun to sail, and a great support group of other sailors and builders. Great luck on whatever you build!

Don Bailey
12-05-2000, 12:37 PM
Have you considered the Joel White designed Pooduck skiff? Built like a Shellback but she's 12' 10'. I'm building one now as a first time builder. Great lines.
Don Bailey

Beowolf
12-05-2000, 03:21 PM
There's a little part of me that is screaming for a fast boat and as such, I occasionally glance at the study plans to NW Marine's Delta V (NS 14 class) Looks like fun.

Jeff.

Mike Keers
12-05-2000, 05:28 PM
I built a Glen-L 13 cat-rigged day sailer about ten years ago, fine little boat, fast in light airs, very stable. Still going strong.
MK

Kermit
12-05-2000, 06:06 PM
Well, rantwine, that's The Forum for you. Ask a specific question on your fist post about three specific boats and you get steered in several other directions. And I'm no help either, since I don't know much about the three you ask about. Hold on, someone may actually answer your question yet!

Joel Herzel
12-05-2000, 09:13 PM
Well, I built a Glen-L 14 in 1973. Still have it. Good boat. Very stiff in a hard breeze, roomy; a fun boat. Would be good for a family or youngsters. Not a racer, although it does have decent speed. I am looking for a kid's group to give it to. But now years later, after I have built stitch and glue, I am a convert to the new technology. I like to boat as much as I like to build boats, and you'll be in the water a lot sooner with stitch and glue. Just one man's opinion. Good luck.

Kermit
12-07-2000, 11:15 PM
Joel, we'd take you up on your offer, but it's a long pull from the Salish Sea to Santa Cruz, even temmpted by a free boat. Best wishes!