PDA

View Full Version : Flexible router template

TNRower
11-18-2000, 09:16 AM
Back in WB #151 there was an article on making mold stations that used a flexible router template. I have been searching for one and noone seems to know either what one is or who makes it. I have been considering making one myself but would rather just buy one. Can anyone help me out on this? I would really appreciate the assistance.

Frank Hagan
11-18-2000, 12:02 PM
I remember the article. The author was building a Haven 12 1/2 and used the flexible template to cut down on the time to make the stations. It had hardwood blocks, tapered on one end, attached to the batten. You could bend the batten to fit your lines, then nail it down. The stock to be cut then was placed on top, and the router was used with a 2" laminate trimming bit. The bearing on the bit rode along the batten under the stock to trim the stock.

I have never seen one advertised for sale. I think this is one of those great ideas that you would have to make yourself.

Steven Gould
11-22-2000, 05:23 PM
I made one and have used it numerous times. It works beautifully and cuts out a step in making frames. You can fasten the jig right to the lofted lines and the router cuts it exactly! If you want details on what I made I'd be glad to pass them along.

Dave R
11-23-2000, 07:57 AM
Stephen, I would like details. What did you use for the batten? Can you post a picture or two? Thanks.

David Hill
11-23-2000, 08:21 PM
Woodworker's Supply June 2000 catalog, p60, shows a "reshapable template" that is the commercial version of the device discussed in the WB article on Haven mold construction. It comes in 37", 67" and 107" lengths. It is not cheap. I searched but could not find a web site for them. Call them at 800-645-9292. They have stores in Wyoming, New Mexico and North Carolina.