PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLV: Menu Ideas

Nanoose
01-30-2011, 10:44 PM
OK...I got nuthin'.

Gimme whatcha got.

Maybe we could even make this into a contest - take a poll - find the winner...what say ye?

Mark Van
01-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Cheese!!!
Go Packers!

Nanoose
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Definitely....to both!

paladin
01-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Crab cakes, Suthrin' Maryland style, Suthrin' fried chikkin'.....fried okra, lotsa termater slices and green onions on the side, cornbread, pecan pie, pecan pralines, blackberry and peach cobblers, iced tea with lotsa ice, steamed stone crab claws and lotsa lemon/garlic/butter.........crab stuffed mushroom caps....Maryland veggietabbbubbble soup.

Dutch
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
meatless - for my health and the rest of Creation - not neccessarily in that order

Curtism
01-31-2011, 06:13 AM
It only seems fitting to celebrate the Packers long awaited return to the big game by partaking in the (sort of) official Green Bay, Wisconsin pre-game meal, Bratwurst, baked beans, potato salad and lots of beer.

Now, the purist, native born Cheese Head will probably dispute my method, as many have in the past, but I like to do the brat's by steaming them over a shallow pan of beer on the grille till they get all white and plump, 20-25 minutes. Then roll them directly over the coals 'til golden brown. Fresh hot dog buns, big fluffy ones from the bakery, add a few sauted onions and smother it all with shredded cheddar cheese, naturally.

I know, it's not the same when you don't have to shovel snow from around the grille that morning, piling it to one side for a wind-block and whatnot. Down 'ere we work with what we got, eh. I also won't have a bunch of guys over to haul the big screen down a flight of stairs to the garage so everyone can back their pickups in a semi circle around the driveway and sit on the tailgates while watching the game. So, some of the true ambiance will be sadly absent.

To try and make up for it though, I will proudly don the traditional chef's uniform of hunting boots, shorts, Packers jersey with matching hat and, of course, a parka. The rest of the afternoon will be spent in the grand tradition of yelling, "GO PACK" out of one end and tooting the Packers cheer out the other.

Paul Pless
01-31-2011, 07:30 AM
OK...I got nuthin'.there should be beer, real beer from wisconsin, not that iron city crap. . .

Iceboy
01-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Curtism has got it. He cooks his brats funny though. I just simmer them in beer for a time and throw them on the grill. You gotta add some good kraut and a decent brown mustard. Sorry, raw diced onions only at my place. Also no ketchup allowed. They are brats for goodness sake. Ketchup is for guys from Minnesota or Illinois :). They do make buns just for brats. (at least they do here) Of course a good local beer has to go with that along with a local cheese platter. 55" big screen w/surround, big ass lazy boy. Good to go here! GO PACK GO!

paladin
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Chikkin’ Satay
serves 8
Ingredients
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup milk
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon each ground coriander, ground turmeric and ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
Peanut Butter Sauce
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup milk
2 green onions, chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
How to make it 20 minutes
Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness; cut lengthwise into 1-inch wide strips.
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the milk, garlic, brown sugar, seasonings and extract. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
In a bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients until blended. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Drain and discard marinade. Thread two chicken strips onto each metal or soaked wooden skewer.
Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with peanut butter sauce.

Stuffed Jalapenos
Ingredients
24 medium jalapeno peppers
1 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
12 bacon strips, cut in half
How to make it 1 hour, 30 minutes
Make a lengthwise cut in each jalapeno, about 1/8 inch deep; remove seeds. Combine the sausage and cheese; stuff into jalapenos. Wrap each with a piece of bacon; secure with toothpicks.
Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place jalapenos over pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 17-20 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into filling reads 160. Grill, covered, over direct heat 1-2 minutes longer or until bacon is crisp. Makes 24.

Copied from the cookbook I've been working on. A collection of my favorites from everywhere.

Nanoose
02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Ok...brats, beans, potato salad and beer.
I think I can handle that.
But....what kinda beer is Wisconsinian? I know Canadian beer, and good beer....have trouble when it comes to US 'beer'....

Beer advice, please.

sailboy3
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Superbowl? yawn...I don't even know who playin.

Nanoose
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
The PACKERS!!!!...OUR team is playing!!!! :D :D :D

sailboy3
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
The PACKERS!!!!...OUR team is playing!!!! :D :D :D

Your team. As if I even bothered to follow football. :rolleyes::d

Nanoose
02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
You would if YOUR team was playing. ;)

sailboy3
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Don't have a team. Wouldn't be watching even if the pats were playing. 'sides the obvious of not having a telly, football isn't my thing. I'll stand by to assist in the demolition of the grub though.

Iceboy
02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Well, here's a start. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_breweries

Ok...brats, beans, potato salad and beer.
I think I can handle that.
But....what kinda beer is Wisconsinian? I know Canadian beer, and good beer....have trouble when it comes to US 'beer'....

Beer advice, please.

Iceboy
02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Just to add. GO PACK GO!!!!!

David W Pratt
02-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Easy mini-Brats
Package of the little 1 inch hotdogs
Saute until done,
Sprinkle on a teaspoon or so of brown sugar,
Shake/stir to spread the caramelized coating all over
Serve with toothpicks and an assortment of mustards.
You could probably make it in a commercial.

Iceboy
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Man, I got to tell you that hot dogs do not equal bratwurst in any language. RI must not have any good sausage makers at all if you are using hot dogs for brats. Get thee to Chef a Roni in Greenwich and see if they have the real stuff. You don't know what you are missing.
Easy mini-Brats
Package of the little 1 inch hotdogs
Saute until done,
Sprinkle on a teaspoon or so of brown sugar,
Shake/stir to spread the caramelized coating all over
Serve with toothpicks and an assortment of mustards.
You could probably make it in a commercial.

Paul Pless
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
i don't know what i'm gonna cook yet, though i find myself craving wings. . .

Stu Fyfe
02-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Since our Pats are out, most of New England is rooting for the Green and Gold! Should be a good game.