View Full Version : Need experts to value two boats/trailers

01-29-2011, 07:35 PM

01-29-2011, 08:01 PM
The second boat is the Newfoundland Skiff or Toulinguet boat from Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft, page 224. I helped build a wood one in the seventies and unless this one has been rigged with a center or dagger board it is sluggish but tracks well under oars. The one shown seems to have an enlarged, perhaps gaff, rig versus the sprit mainsail and small jib Chapelle drew for it. As far as value is concerned, it's always whatever the owner and buyer can agree on. There's no bluebook for these boats. The market is too thin.

01-29-2011, 08:32 PM
There's no bluebook for these boats. The market is too thin.Just an estimate on value would be good. The second does look on the heavy side, and pricey too.

01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, it's your choice, but the way I try to put a number on these decisions is by thinking about what else I'd spend five hundred dollars, or a thousand, two thousand, three, four etc. and then pretend that I heard the boat sold to someone else at those price points. The comparison to how else I'd spend the money versus what the boat 'sold to someone else for' and the feeling I have about having 'lost out' gives me an idea of what it's worth to me. That becomes my top limit and I stick to it.

For example, we are contemplating chartering a small boat (that's also for sale) this summer. Should we like it and want to make an offer the charter price will be part of the sale price. The owner has said what he ideally wants for the boat, and objectively it's well worth that (excellent design, well built and maintained) and it looks to be an attractive, enjoyable and useful fit for us. However I have a figure that I am not willing to go beyond, as much as the owner thinks he'll be able persuade me to. It just isn't worth more than that to me. There are always other boats that come along.

As Warren Buffett says: "Wait for your pitch. You don't have to swing at pitches you don't like."

01-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Posting expired on #2. Give us what the seller calls it, so we can look at the listing if he's reposted it.

for #1 - is that a topping lift that runs from the mast below the gaff to the aft end of the boom?

01-30-2011, 01:21 PM
1- http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/2179517784.html

Tom Hunter
01-30-2011, 05:21 PM
I've seen other craiglist adds for similar boats at similar prices. That does not mean the boats sell at those prices.

Price often varies pretty widely on craigslist. I would decide how much you want to pay for a boat like that and then bid.

Personally I would bid much lower, because I like a bargain.

02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
When I was seriously in the market for a boat it looked like there was a kind of rule of thumb. Glass boats sold (in the early 2000s) for about 2/3 the asking price, wooden boats usually for 1/2 or less. Unless it's from a broker like Cannell, Payne & Page, and I have no idea what those boats go for since they're apparently made out of solid gold. I think nowadays the market's considerably worse--like, non-existent, so take that into account. It's a sad for the owners, good for buyers. Unless the buyers suddenly wants to sell, then it's sad again. The deal is, I would suggest (maybe I'm wrong) that you don't buy a boat unless you want it more or less for the rest of your life. You can't sell them. Look at what's being given away on BoneYard boats and all the foundations, like Mass Maritime, and Atlantic Challenge, and University of RI. (unless it's a very popular model, like a 12 1/2. There's an OK market for certain specific boats, but not many. Even Beetlecats are now in the reasonable range)