PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in Oregon

Anastasia
09-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I need to replace the plank above the garboard from stem to transom on our 17' Rana daysailer. I think I'm in a little bit over my head, especially dealing with the rabbet at the bow.

I need help with it. Ideally I'd be there at least watching, if not helping, so I can learn how.

I'm in Southern Oregon, close to Jacksonville.
Anyone available for that kind of work? We could trailer her up to you too.

Thanks!

Greg Stoll
09-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Ok, I was waiting to see if anyone else would pop up on this, but I guess not, so here it goes:

I have limited experience with spiling and planking that I got at the WoodenBoat School last month. In other words, I know how in theory and in very limited practice. I think we can probably do it, but it might be that we mess up the first plank to get to a good second plank. If that's ok with you, and you're willing to brainstorm it with me, I'd be happy to help you. Let me know, feel free to e-mail me off list.

Greg

Dave Gray
09-10-2004, 12:26 PM
I have no experience at all in this so I've not said anything. However, there is a Portland woodenboat organization, called RiversWest. You might look at their web site, www.riverswest.org (http://www.riverswest.org). I think you can email someone there who might be able to help you.

Bob Smalser
09-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Why can't you remove the old plank....glue it back together if splintered...and use it as an exact pattern for your new plank?

Screws can be removed...broken screws with screw extractors....the heads can be ground off rivets and the rivet punched out...and as a last resort a hacksaw blade wrapped in tape can be slipped between to cut thru the fastener.

Regardless....under no circumstances lose that old plank...the difference in labor can be measured in at least a day.

windfall
09-11-2004, 07:23 AM
I have an old friend boat building in Corvalis who is certainly capable of doing the job, and he won't mind you watching/helping. Let me know if you would like his phone number

Zuk
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Thank you for your generous offers! We'll be contacting you by email and I'll be contacting the Rivers West organization too.

For the board, yes we will definately keep it to use as a pattern. We're still a bit mystified about how to bend it correctly and get the joints to line up and fit properly. An experienced hand will save us quite a bit of time too.

Zuk (Anastasia's partner)

Mark Turner
09-13-2004, 04:09 PM
The best Wood Boat guy in the Sacramento area just moved his shop to McMinville, OR. He's fixed and refurbished many of the wood boats on the Sacramento River and Lake Tahoe. We'll miss him. His name is Bob Sheffield and his number is 503-435-0757.

Dave Gray
09-13-2004, 06:30 PM
McMinville? He must have moved there to retire, as there is no real body of water near there. Maybe a creek... Good wine and farm country, though. And the Spruce Goose is nearby.