PDA

View Full Version : Democrat Congressman/women physical fitness questioned.....

pefjr
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Reading about how great The President's. speech was last night( I missed it), and how great his speech in Arizona was, and how great his reaction to the shooting was, and yadda yadda yadda............. then I read this from Rep. Peter Defazio (D-Ore.) told POLITICO his office has always kept track of standing ovations during State of the Union speeches and Tuesday’s event had “the least amount of any president in the 25 years I’ve been here.”. So I conclude the exercise rooms in the House are not being used enough to keep these guys in shape. Stamina, that's what these guys need in a SOTU Speech. Embarrassing. Setting a bad example too.

perldog007
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
You blew it Bud, love him or hate him or yet to make up your mind, that was a good speech.

pefjr
01-26-2011, 04:52 PM
that was a good speech.As, I have been told.:d

ccmanuals
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
The general consensus is that the revised seating arrangement resulted in more subdued reactions.

perldog007
01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
The general consensus is that the revised seating arrangement resulted in more subdued reactions.

That and it seemed as if Boehner and Biden had a secret deal to get out of there and have a dram.... didn't see them leading the ovations, of course I was pretty plowed by the time it was over.... :D

S.V. Airlie
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
You blew it Bud, love him or hate him or yet to make up your mind, that was a good speech.

If you say so..words are useless. Good speech perhaps...actions speak volumes...But for a pol..it was a good sppech except
I would like a little honesty and not dreams.

ccmanuals
01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
It was a mediocre speech, for a campaign speech. It was a lousy State of the Union Address.

Tell us what you think was a great State of the Union Address by any past President. Was there ever one?

perldog007
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
If you say so..words are useless. Good speech perhaps...actions speak volumes...But for a pol..it was a good sppech except
I would like a little honesty and not dreams.

Please don't misunderstimate me, I have serious policy differences with the current administration, but as a speech, that was a good one IMO. Public speaking is an art, and I believe I saw an artist at work. Of course I did a shot of Mezcal for every instance of the word "invest" and derivatives ( 8 ) so that might have fogged my more critical judgement :D

David G
01-26-2011, 06:17 PM
It was a mediocre speech, for a campaign speech. It was a lousy State of the Union Address.

Donn,

I would have disagreed. I initially thought it a very good speech. But I am now torn. I have to give a great deal of weight to your opinion on this matter. You are, after all, seemingly a world-class expert on mediocrity. Of course, in your case, it seems to be self-imposed rather than structural... so I just don't know what to think... 8*O

Hmmm... do me a favor, willya? Just for the rest of the day, take off both your asshat and your partisan blinders, listen to it again, and tell me what you think. I'd be very interested. Can you do that?

ChaseKenyon
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Why do you feel that way about it Donn?

I really am interested as my wife and daughter thought it was a great SOTU address.

Chase

George Jung
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Was there a precedent to mixing up the participants? One wag even mentioned it was much like grade school, when they'd place a couple of girls (wimmin) around the orneriest boys (boys) to 'buffer' them, and keep them quiet.

Seemed to work. I've not been a fan of pep ralleys.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Just seeing Obama confidently presiding in the House of Representatives is a sword in the heart of you Right Wing Weenies. Better be prepared to see it repeated many more time.

George Jung
01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Chuck just doesn't get detente', does he?

'Here's a lil' more gas.... let me help you pour it.... on yerself...'

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Is that the Republican House of Representatives you speak of?

The very same.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Chuck just doesn't get detente', does he?

'Here's a lil' more gas.... let me help you pour it.... on yerself...'

I don't know what you saw, George, but I saw Obama running the show. There was a little dog and pony show put on by a couple of Republicans but they seemed to be preaching to the choir. At least Ryan was. Bachmann was dispensing her usual load of Far Right nonesense. You buy into that trash, George?
And what right Wing hero are you burning a candle for to replace Obama in '13?

LeeG
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Was there a precedent to mixing up the participants? One wag even mentioned it was much like grade school, when they'd place a couple of girls (wimmin) around the orneriest boys (boys) to 'buffer' them, and keep them quiet.

Seemed to work. I've not been a fan of pep ralleys.

George, check out Roscoe Bartlett sitting next to Nancy Pelosi. I take that as a good sign.

http://transitionvoice.com/2011/01/interview-rep-roscoe-bartlett/

One of just two Republicans in Maryland’s House delegation, after the GOP takeover of the House in November Rep. Roscoe Bartlett stands ready to assume leadership on both energy and climate in the new Congress.
An 18-year veteran of the House, Bartlett’s seniority puts him in key positions on committees “at the fulcrum of two key debates in the 112th Congress — on climate change and on the future of the US military,” according to the Washington Post.
And that could be good news for clean energy, conservation and peak oil, issues on which the outspoken 85-year-old has championed for years and on which he has often disagreed with his fellow Republicans.
Bartlett, who started the Congressional Peak Oil Caucus with Democrat Tom Udall of New Mexico in 2005, doesn’t see why energy has to be a partisan issue. And he doesn’t see why energy hawks and climate change activists can’t get along.
Peak oil, for Bartlett, is one of the biggest problems the world has ever faced. He thinks America should’ve been preparing for oil depletion since Admiral Hyman Rickover warned about the eventual end of “the Fossil Fuel Age” in a speech from 1957, a speech that Bartlett is fond of quoting.
Bartlett is also articulate about putting America’s current energy challenge in his own words.
“This energy thing couldn’t be worse — peak oil has hit just at the same time that the Chinese and Indians are demanding more energy,” Bartlett said. “The recession brought us some relief but it’s just a question of time.”

George Jung
01-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Notice, Chuck, that LeeG 'got it'.

I suspect you do, as well - but you seem reluctant to 'cross over the aisle' and make new friends.

You might take a few pointers from your Democrat (and their new Republican friends) congressmen. At some point it might dawn on all of us that we're in deep $hit, and perhaps (and I know, this is unthinkable) work together for the betterment of this country and its' citizens. Pretty radical stuff.

Cuyahoga Chuck
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I gotta match.

Is that a threat?

ljb5
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Is that the Republican House of Representatives you speak of?

Nope, it's the American one. :D

Funny thing about the State of the Union is that it's mandated by the Constitution.

The "rebuttals" from the Republicans (and Tea Party) are not in the Constitution.

That's just a layer of pure partisan blather. We would all be better off without it.

LeeG
01-26-2011, 11:24 PM
George, unfortunately that point, "at some point it may dawn on all of us that we're in deep sh*t", isn't the same for all.

David G
01-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Nope, it's the American one. :D

Funny thing about the State of the Union is that it's mandated by the Constitution.

The "rebuttals" from the Republicans (and Tea Party) are not in the Constitution.

That's just a layer of pure partisan blather. We would all be better off without it.

Oooh... I disagree. No matter which party happens to hold the presidency - I think it's important for both parties to articulate as well as they can what they stand for, and the path they propose. This is a big stage, and a perfect opportunity to compare and contrast the two sides/approaches. I welcome it.

George Jung
01-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I wonder - would you hold the same opinion (no rebuttal) were it a Republican giving the address?

ljb5
01-27-2011, 05:21 AM
I wonder - would you hold the same opinion (no rebuttal) were it a Republican giving the address?

Yup. And I said the same thing a few years ago when that happened.

The SoTU is not a partisan event, it's an administrative event like a company submitting an SEC filing.

Whether you like it or not, Obama is the president, elected to that office to fulfill certain duties. Other people were not elected to that office, and therefore are not charged with fulfilling those duties.

The other night, Representative Ryan was on TV pretty much for no other reason than the fact that he wasn't elected president.

The only requirement for giving the rebuttal speech is that you not hold the job. I find that oddd.

oznabrag
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Is that a threat?

No, no, no. That's his way of asserting that his face and his backside look alike.

George Jung
01-27-2011, 10:42 AM
It will be interesting to see how history treats the Obama presidency, and his speeches. I anticipate he will be rated highly. Probably won't know, personally, as that would require an extended stay.

As far as using the number of viewers as some sort of metric, and how they rated the speech, there are so many metrics influencing that, including world events and how the economy is perceived to be at present.

I don't think it matters.

Phillip Allen
01-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I understand that dems and reps were intermingled this time...could the lack of standing ovations this time indicate that previous "ovations" were scripted?

pefjr
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I understand that dems and reps were intermingled this time...could the lack of standing ovations this time indicate that previous "ovations" were scripted?Many were in the past. Tip Oneill started it and it backfired on the Demos. Reagan was too sharp for any cheap Massachusetts tricks.

George Jung
01-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I did hear the comment pre-speech that the Republicans would most likely present a more muted response, because of the seating arrangement.

Some implied, but for me it's unclear, that they may have 'stepped in it', not anticipating that 'fallout'. I find that hard to believe.

Lew Barrett
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Probably won't know, personally, as that would require an extended stay.

As far as using the number of viewers as some sort of metric, and how they rated the speech, there are so many metrics influencing that, including world events and how the economy is perceived to be at present.

I don't think it matters.

You'll get there without doubt, and you will certainly live long enough to see him re-elected. So it is said, so will it be done!

As for the rest of your post, I completely agree!

I thought the speech was competent in Obama's usual fashion, aimed to the broad middle and a bit vague.
I don't expect much better than that these days and I remain convinced that he is one of the most agile and clever politicians on the scene. To say it wasn't embarrassing damns the speech with faint praise, but that was actually my main impression.

The man compromises much in the Clinton tradition. he will not give his opponents the opportunities for blather that Clinton did, and now I am clear that any real change Obama might institute will have to wait for his second term, should he get one. I think that's likely.

OK speech, probably what we needed. History/the media has a way of making presidential speeches that I find "not that stirring" into great moments. I guess they reckon we need great moments.

I still really like the man, no mistake.

George Jung
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
If he gets re-elected, the 'biggie' - at least from what I see in the cards shown - will be the implementation of the more significant aspects of the healthcare reform. And they will have two years of 'being in place' before any subsequent president would even have the option of vetoing - or not - any attempt at reversing this legislation.

Taking the history reported by our more 'enlightened' foreign cousins, in that their populations, while initially suspicious and perhaps even opposed to Nationalized Healthcare, consider any attempts to eliminate that benefit as their version of the Third Rail, it seems likely that wouldn't go over well for our politicians. I think that explains the Republican single-minded focus on defeating Obama in 2012. It's likely their only chance at eliminating NHC.

pefjr
01-27-2011, 12:51 PM
It will be interesting to see how history treats the Obama presidency, and his speeches. I anticipate he will be rated highly. Probably won't know, personally, as that would require an extended stay.

Oh, you planning a trip? Keep us informed, I am interested in the climate conditions, quality of the food, recreational facilities, and nearby fly fishing opportunities.

JBreeze
01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Interesting comparisons (from Canada):

How Barack Obama sounds a lot like Herbert Hoover

Obama, State of the Union, Tuesday:

"Two years after the worst recession most of us have ever known, the stock market has come roaring back. Corporate profits are up. The economy is growing again."

Hoover, to U.S. Chamber of Commerce, May, 1930:

“While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed the worst and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover.”

Obama, State of the Union:

“Thanks to the tax cuts we passed, Americans’ paychecks are a little bigger today. Every business can write off the full cost of the new investments they make this year. These steps, taken by Democrats and Republicans, will grow the economy and add to the more than one million private sector jobs created last year.”

Hoover, campaign speech, October, 1932:

“It can be demonstrated that the tide has turned and that the gigantic forces of depression are today in retreat. Our measures and policies have demonstrated their effectiveness. They have preserved the American people from certain chaos. They have preserved a final fortress of stability in the world.”

Obama, State of the Union:

“But now that the worst of the recession is over...”

Hoover, to a delegation looking for a public works project, June, 1930:

“Gentlemen, you have come 60 days too late. The depression is over.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/top-business-stories/how-barack-obama-sounds-a-lot-like-herbert-hoover/article1884728/

George Jung
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I've told my MIL that I want a headstone with a solar powered motiondetector, so that when movement is detected, my (probably pre-recorded) voice would ask

"Mom, is that you?"

followed by

"Whew..... it sure is hot down here...."

She was not amused.... but I was. And that's the important part, right?

Lew Barrett
01-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah, but in my view, you'll never know George. It's all a matter of perspective. I expect that if there's any emotion around your annunciator (that's what an automatic messaging unit that gives proximity signals is called in audio) it will be from your kids who will be annoyed you wasted money on it!

George Jung
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Ha!

Annunciator, eh?

At least I know what to ask for my birthday.

Lew Barrett
01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I regret I no longer can supply these at wholesale, but the new technologies have made them very practical if somewhat boring presents!

I like the ones that say "my dog is peeing on your leg" whenever junkies get within three feet of my car!

George Jung
01-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Lew, that last comment could be the basis for a very entertaining thread!

I'd suggest starting out with a 'Darwin was a dweeb' or some such.... call it a fire starter.