View Full Version : Indian Ocean Rowing Race

01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I thought some of you might be interested in the most recent Woodvale Challenge race which has entries for solo, pairs and four man rowing boats. The race starts in April from Geraldton, Western Australia, and ends in Port Louis Mauritius. I must confess a special interest in this race because one of the competitors, James Adair, is the son of a friend. He is competing in a two man boat with his friend Benjamin Stenning. Furthermore, I was invited to take part in a competition to name their boat, and my entry "Indian Runner" was the winner. Both these young men are remarkable characters. James was smitten with a terrible paralysing illness, Guillain-Barré Syndrome, back in 1994, and we all thought he would be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, but by 1999 he was walking again, and now he is taking on this incredible challenge. Benjamin was similarly nearly crippled when he stood on a Stonefish in Mombasa. He nearly lost a leg, and spent two years in hospital. Here is a link to their website with details of the race. (http://www.benandjamesandaboat.co.uk/#panel4)

02-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks. Those guys are cool. I wish them the best of luck. Nasty place, that southern ocean...