PDA

View Full Version : How to post pictures?

vincentc
01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I used the "manage attchment" feature to post a picture and had quite a problem reducing the Jpg to a size that was acceptable and was left with a picture so small that it was hardly viewable. I use ACDSee photomanager and at its lowest resolution can get to less than 15 or so kb.

When I later attempted to post another picture I found that my first picture had taken up almost all of my allowable space.

On the other hand I see lots of posts by others of pictures large enough to fill the screen.

Please advise the correct process or where to look to find instructions on how to post photos.

Walter Muelhauser
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi , vinentc
look for Thorne's thread 'Thorne's new and improved "how to post photos" instruction within this WBF.
Happy posting Walter

DGentry
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Ditto what Walter says, but the short version is click the "insert image" icon, and forget about the "manage attachment" feature.
Typically, you'll need to uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box, too.

Good luck!

Thorne
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Did I see a huge sign flashing on the clouds?

http://www.luckhardt.com/2LogoEmb.gif

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picturetrail, photobucket, etc.

Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the URL (web address). You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos only located on your computer, or uploaded to members-only Yahoo groups.

(In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the URL by right-clicking the image. If you don't want the largest size (displayed) you can then click another option in the "Available sizes" links above the image.)

THIRD - ONE TIME PROCEDURE TO SET UP ENHANCED INTERFACE:
1. Click the "Private Messages" link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.

2. Click the "General Settings" link about 2/3 down the left column under "My Account".

3. At the bottom of the next page in "Misc Options", select "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" from the Message Editor Interface options. Click the Save Changes button.

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
A. Once the above Enhanced Interface has been set up, in any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

YouTube video on how to select the image URL in Firefox, navigate the "Add an Image" tabs and paste the image URL -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkfB_eDmBRw&feature=player_embedded

vincentc
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks

currach
01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi I asked a similar question last week on this subject and a kind replier even left a URL to instructions somewhere on this site to print out. I came into the office this morning to find and print it to find that my thread is nowhere to be found. If you were that kind contributer could you repost the url.
Many Thanks in advance

DGentry
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm not the earlier kind contributor, but here's a URL with the instructions on it: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?125747-How-to-post-pictures
Check out post #4

|;)

Dave Katt
01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
I give up. I have tried for hours, so take some pictures from my Photo Bucket and paste them here. When I use the URL and copy and paste it and then go to upload it here. It tells me it is an "invalid file". Makes no sense to me.....anymore.

Thorne
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
My instructions will work, but you have to follow them **exactly**. What computer / OS / browser? (PC/XP/IE, Mac/10.6/Firefox)

You can copy and paste the image URL into the main body (text part) of your response. Do that and we can continue troubleshooting. Also give the URL of your Photobucket account, we can try it that way.

Blindblake
01-26-2011, 04:46 AM
I have flickr and am trying this but am getting a different behaviour to what you've described in your instructions. I wonder if the message from flickr below is the reason?

Where is the HTML code and photo file link?
The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in "Share this." To get to it just go to the main photo page, click "Share this", and then "Get the HTML." We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

Thorne
01-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Please try again **carefully following all the steps**. If you can find anything wrong with my instructions, please let us know ASAP with exactly what didn't work.

"(In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the URL by right-clicking the image. If you don't want the largest size (displayed) you can then click another option in the "Available sizes" links above the image.)"

But we STILL don't know your OS and Browser! This is asked because it also makes a difference in what you can click and where... We have taken a number of folks through this process and know how to do it, but will not get you posting images unless you tell us what we ask.

Again, please paste an image URL into the message by following the steps above exactly. Or at least give us your Flickr acct name so we can find it that way...

John How
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
I am having the same issue using my mac at home. OS10.5.8. The message I get says the file is too large but it is only a 58k jpg. I was able to upload it at work using a pc and the same instructions just fine so it may be a mac thing though I upload pics all the time to other forums that appear to use similar software without any trouble. The pics are store on my web sites server and there are no restrictions there so anyone can see them.

Hwyl
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
The usual mistake is not unchecking (un ticking) the little box. If I can do it anyone can. It seems easier in Google chrome

Thorne
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm getting tired of repeating myself here, so will just put it onto the individuals in question to see if they can follow instructions or not. I write some procedures here at NASA, plus we've taken the below instructions through several input/editing sessions here on the Forum, so for what they cover, they are **completely accurate**. Depending on the OS and browser, some elements are slightly different but can usually be overcome by using Firefox or Chrome.

These instructions do not contain extraneous BS, theories or unnecessary content. Just about every word has a meaning, and steps can't be skipped until you come up with alternates for your OS and browser.The one exception is the section in parens clearly labeled for Flickr.

So if you can't post photos here, try following the instructions **exactly**. They are working now, will work in the future until the Forum sofware and/or browsers change significanlty, and have worked in the past for many folks here.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picturetrail, photobucket, etc.

Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the URL (web address). You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos only located on your computer, or uploaded to members-only Yahoo groups.

(In Flickr - You usually have to first click the photo to bring up the black-framed viewer, then click the "View All Sizes" link near the top right. Then you can get the URL by right-clicking the image. If you don't want the largest size (displayed) you can then click another option in the "Available sizes" links above the image.)

THIRD - ONE TIME PROCEDURE TO SET UP ENHANCED INTERFACE:
1. Click the "Private Messages" link in the browser window in the top left of the menu bar.
2. Click the "General Settings" link about 2/3 down the left column under "My Account".

3. At the bottom of the next page in "Misc Options", select "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" from the Message Editor Interface options. Click the Save Changes button.

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
A. Once the above Enhanced Interface has been set up, in any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

YouTube video on how to select the image URL in Firefox, navigate the "Add an Image" tabs and paste the image URL -
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkfB_eDmBRw&feature=player_embedded"

tomlarkin
01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
The first troubleshooting step when you're having trouble is to paste the URL into a new tab or browser window and hitting enter. If he image doesn't load (all by itself, not inside a web page) then you have a problem with the URL. If you see the image OK, then you're having trouble with the forum code itself. At this point you'll know which part of Thorne's instructions to reread. |:)

Dave Katt
01-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I certainly understand Thorne's frustration as I am frustrated myself. I am using Photo Bucket, I am taking pictures from the Photo Bucket URL that Photo Bucket has, which is actually the bottom choice you have to click on. I am unchecking the little box, if you don't, I will get an "invalid file" notice. I am using Fire Fox with XP.:confused:

Thorne
01-26-2011, 03:37 PM
I went to www.photobucket.com, and selected a random image from a random account (since we still don't have Dave K's).

The PAGE URL = http://mmg.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Monkey/102_1322_edited.jpg.html

The IMAGE URL (got it by RIGHT-CLICKING THE PHOTO) = http://mobmg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Monkey/102_1322_edited.jpg

Image put into this thread per my instructions: http://mobmg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Monkey/102_1322_edited.jpg

Not to be too much of a crankypants here, but there are a number of good reasons why my instructions say to right-click to get the image URL. This is just one.

So again, if you had followed the instructions instead of clicking on the "Get URLs" link in photobucket, you'd have posted photos. This holds true for the rest of the process.

You decide where to go from here.

Thorne
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Here is one of Dave K's photos (as large as I can get the original image) -

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/Dave45871/CCI00006.jpg?1296093974

(some nice old black powder pieces there, Dave! Too newfangled for me as I shoot matchlocks, but those are lovely.)

Dave Katt
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I can also zoom on the picture in Photo Bucket, but it won't stay large when I upload it. I also attempted to enlarge the picture originally when I scanned in the photo. I get a really nice large picture, pretty crisp and detailed for a scanned in old photo, But I can't keep it large when I want to put it in my computers photos or send to Photo Bucket, it just goes back to small. Beats me and it is giving me a headache.

Thorne
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Don't upload it at all. You should be merely copying the location (Image URL) into the Forum posts. If you right-click on any of the images above, pick Copy Image Location and paste it into the http field of a browser windew, you will see that the image URL is the original location on photobucket.

Again, you MUST follow the instructions if you want to post images -- either my or some of the other instructions posted here. My very first instruction is to not upload images, but to post the image URL instead.