PDA

View Full Version : Potentential 1st Time Builder

kurt3
11-24-2000, 02:40 PM
I am a 1st time potential builder seriously considering building a small boat in the 14-16ft range that is capable of accepting a 10-25hp outboard motor. I want a no frills, easy to build, fairly rugged but asthestically pleasing boat to be used mainly for fishing. Thus far I have looked at the following designs:

1. Sand Dollar by Arch Davis
2. Little Moby in "Forty Wooden Boats"
3. San Juan in "Forty Wooden Boats"

My only stipulation is that I don't want to build a stitch and glue plan. I feel comfortable with my basic carpentry skills. Can anyone give me some advice on the above plans or some similiar plans that my searches have missed that might fit my above criteria? Thanks--Kurt

Thad
11-24-2000, 03:54 PM
I think you are right to trust your skills. I would recommend looking at the clamming skiffs in John Gardner's books. Boats on this plan were always built with solid wood, although Gardner shows them in plywood. You could go to Barber Lumber in Alachua and get wide cypress and hard pine for a proper job. Whatever, keep good materials, good lines, and good structure in mind, where you understand how all the parts fit together and work together; then all you have to do is get materials together and make all the little decisions required while you cut pieces and fasten them together.

stokeswood
11-25-2000, 04:42 PM
For a first boat, I suggest Glen-L or maybe Clark Craft. I have a number of Glen-L plans and, while not as salty as some others, there is a big selection and they are VERY easy to follow and, becauase they're on the West coast, you can call them when you get home from work - they are very helpfull. www.glen-l.com (http://www.glen-l.com)

Rob Witte

BrianCunningham
11-26-2000, 06:39 PM
Have you thought about a "One station skiff". It's a little smaller than what you want, but it would make a real nice first boat. You even get to practice caulking! http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

... and by all means check out the plans WoodenBoat sells.

Tom Beecroft
11-27-2000, 12:09 AM
Kurt, I'd go for a design built for 10 - 25 hp (or bigger) outboards. With many small boats, like the Sand Dollar, the designers say they can take a small outboard, but they mean SMALL. I built an 11' stitch and glue and decided to put a 4 hp outboard instead of sail. I had to rebuild the knees and transom after nearly ripping them off on the first outing. OK, I'm not the most accomplished builder, but we're talking 4 hp here. The outboard will pull the top of the transom and push the bottom, and many of the smaller boats aren't designed to handle that.

Keith Wilson
11-27-2000, 09:30 AM
I'd really rather not go out in a "Sand Dollar" with a 25HP outboard. It's a very nice little boat, but I don't think it's designed to handle anything near that kind of power.

You might look at Ken Swan's designs. He has a lot of very pleasant-looking skiffs designed for medium-sized outboards. Perhaps the "Nez Perce 16"? His web site is: http://www.swanboatdesign.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by Keith Wilson (edited 11-27-2000).]