PDA

View Full Version : Australian film

ishmael
01-14-2011, 11:55 PM
The very best film I've watched in the last couple years was "Little Fish." It's a talkie, not an action film. If you get a chance, do watch it. I don't recognize most of the players. Cate Blanchet and Hugo Weaving spark the screen as do the other, including Sam Neil. Its a great bit of story telling.

I know, I know, I've recommended it before, so don't bust my chaps about that. It really is good, highly recommended.

purri
01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
A goodun for sure!

peter radclyffe
01-15-2011, 01:37 AM
its a talkie, wot, you mean they talk in it ?

Allison
01-15-2011, 01:40 AM
its a talkie, wot, you mean they talk in it ?

yes Peter some of us Aussies have mastered the fine art of talking. Must be the Pommie blood!

RFNK
01-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Mastered it indeed. Unfortunately some well past the point of usefulness or tolerance!
Rick

purri
01-15-2011, 04:01 AM
^ Kylie Mole eh?

RFNK
01-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Who's that?
Rick

Meli
01-15-2011, 05:23 AM
^ Kylie Mole eh?

Who's that?
Rick

You really dont want to know :D

ishmael
01-15-2011, 06:26 AM
A talkie meaning the film depends on it's writing, not it's action. Watch it, if you get a chance. It has some action, but its main stay is the dialogue.

peter radclyffe
01-15-2011, 06:57 AM
never mind

ishmael
01-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Oh, go ahead, Peter. I'm feeling like a failure and could use some feedback, even if its negative.

Wild Dingo
01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
yes Peter some of us Aussies have mastered the fine art of talking. Must be the Pommie blood!

mmmmmm... pommy blood??? mmmm settle Shane settle boy... breathe... calm... relax... aahh much bedderah!!

Havent seen the film but the names youve given are some good Aussie actors so will go with your view of it being good... and yep Aussies can talk pretty good some of us have even gotten to the point of believing we dont have no Aussie idiom it was all made up by such literary people as AB (Banjo) Patterson and Henry Lawson but we still talk fair dinkum Aussie... unless theyre from the big smoke then they tend to talk with a plum jammed where the sun dont shine like our cousins in blighty but MOST of us out in the never never still speak Aussie... then theres such luminaries as yer ol mate here who talks propa Okka :D

AND!!! Why is it that Im the last to meet someone here huh??? Alison... although having been onboard the forum since 2007 has only just a smidge over 1000 posts and Id never seen her before her post on this thread??? MAN!!!! okay I will do me own introduction... slackers! :D Hey there Alison Im Shane ala Wild Dingo some here reckon Im totally manically troppo but Im the ridgey didge real Aussie deal other than the fact that I dont drink that is... so anyway nice to meet you! :cool:

peter radclyffe
01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
it was a joke, in england the first talkie was around the time of buster keaton
as you all know

purri
01-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes. BTW in light of the subject I'd recommend "Lantana" and "The Last Wave". (though the latter is dated)

Allison
01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Yes. BTW in light of the subject I'd recommend "Lantana" and "The Last Wave". (though the latter is dated)

purri,
Interestingly there's actually geologic evidence for the wave that they talk about in the film though it happened long before human habitation of Oz. A bunch of large boulders sitting on top of some cliffs south of Sydney that were put there by a tsunami generated by tectonic activity off the W coast of NZ.A couple of hundred thousand years ago!

purri
01-15-2011, 08:22 PM
^ At Behwerre near Jervis Bay. There are at least 2 events in local lore, the last abt 6K BCE.

Allison
01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi purri,
I hadn't heard about the recent ones, I saw the older ones in a doco about ancient mega tsunamis a few years back!