PDA

View Full Version : Android Apps

TimH
01-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Ok, Old Dryfoot piqued my interest with his talk about a navigation app for Android.
I downloaded the SDK and played around with it, watched some of the videos on Google, and got an Android to use for a test bed.

Now all I need are some ideas for apps. Something fairly simple to start out with would be nice. And something somebody might actually have a use for.

Anyone have any ideas?

Paul Pless
01-14-2011, 07:19 AM
i'd like an npr player dedicated to my local station in ann arbor

i have the national npr app, but there is no local droid app, only for iphone

if you were to get right on that i'd be most appreciative

cs
01-14-2011, 08:08 AM
One of the most important apps for me is the ability to hook my phone up to my laptop and use it to access the internet without incurring any charges beyond the data plan I already have. With my Blackberry I have an app called Tehterberry. It allows me to do just that. I don't have to pay the montly tether charge to Verizon, it just uses my phone's data plan and gives me internet access for my laptop where ever I have a connection.

Chad

Y Bar Ranch
01-14-2011, 09:00 AM
I've got a Droid. The thing is magic, of course.

It's not an app, but the Weather Underground has great mobile-sized weather pages with links to radar pictures. No ads, easiest to read and navigate. Good for iPhones and Crackberries too. http://m.wund.com/

Shazam rocks, it magically identifies songs you hear.

Not for everybody, but there are a number of different accelerometer applications out there that can record the accelerations in the x, Y, and Z axes for later analyses. You could use that, lay your Droid down on your boat, and capture boat motions in seaway, etc. I use it in teaching flight test. Amazingly accurate.

There are some good scientific calculators. I use RealCalc for the higher math.

There's an app called Bubble that turns your phone into a bubble level. Again, surprisingly accurate once calibrated.

A Compass app for turning it into a compass.

An app called My Tracks allows you to record your trip and save it as a google doc for viewing in Google Maps. I use that one a lot.

An ap called gStrings that turns your phone into a tuning device for musical instruments. You select the note, pluck the string, it tells you whether you're sharp or flat. It will also sound the note.

Of course Google Earth and Google Maps

Hwyl
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
The wind sped app should be fairly easy. If they don't already have one, the iPhone one works well

Iceboy
01-14-2011, 10:04 AM
I'll second this app. It would also be nice to have the wifi hotspot without rooting the phone.

One of the most important apps for me is the ability to hook my phone up to my laptop and use it to access the internet without incurring any charges beyond the data plan I already have. With my Blackberry I have an app called Tehterberry. It allows me to do just that. I don't have to pay the montly tether charge to Verizon, it just uses my phone's data plan and gives me internet access for my laptop where ever I have a connection.

Chad

willmarsh3
01-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I have it on my iPhone and it is especially nice working in the field with my iPad. But I got to ask why don't all laptops just come with a 3G or 4G service built in? If you want to connect to the network you just go to some app and it launches your provider and you put in your code and password and poof your on the network. Instead of all these little secondary dongles ? Obviously its not as free as tethering your existing phone.

Somehow I think in a few years this will become a reality.

Iceboy
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I liked it as well on my windows phone. It would be nice if they did that for laptops as you say. I am already paying for data, I don't see why they should restrict how I send or receive it.

I have it on my iPhone and it is especially nice working in the field with my iPad. But I got to ask why don't all laptops just come with a 3G or 4G service built in? If you want to connect to the network you just go to some app and it launches your provider and you put in your code and password and poof your on the network. Instead of all these little secondary dongles ? Obviously its not as free as tethering your existing phone.

John of Phoenix
01-14-2011, 10:28 AM
FREE Android tethering - USB or Bluetooth (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/199280/how_to_tether_your_android_phone_for_free.html)

Android Tethering: Preparing Your Phone
All right, ready to get on with it? There are several ways you can go about tethering your Android phone. I'm going to focus on the one I've found to be the quickest and easiest, not to mention the least wallet-draining (you know, because it's free).
http://zapp5.staticworld.net/news/graphics/199280-android-tethering-pdanet-barcode_original.pngFirst, head over to the Android Market and search for "PdaNet," or scan the barcode at right for instant access. Go ahead and install that bad-boy to your phone.
Now, on whatever computer you want to use for tethering, click over to the PdaNet Web site (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/download.php) and download the companion PC program. You'll find options for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6. The basic edition of the PdaNet PC utility is free, though if you need to access secure (https) Web sites during your tethering, you will have to spring for the paid edition (http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php).
So far so good, eh? Well, grab a cold beverage: You're done with the heavy lifting and ready to tether.

Android Tethering: Starting Your Connection
http://zapp5.staticworld.net/news/graphics/199280-tether-android-usb_original.jpgOnce you're ready to actually begin a tethering connection, you need to adjust one little setting on your Android phone: Tap your phone's Menu key and select Settings, then Applications, then Development. Now check the box that says "USB Debugging" and press "OK" when the confirmation box appears. This will allow the PdaNet app to directly stream data from your phone to your PC. Be sure to go back into this same menu and turn it off when you're done using the tethering function.
At this point, you're ready to plug your Android phone into your PC via USB. Once it's connected, run the PdaNet app on your phone and select the "Enable USB Tether" option on the program's main screen. (You'll also notice an option for Bluetooth-based connections; if your computer has Bluetooth capabilities, you can select this to connect to your PC wirelessly instead of using USB.)
http://zapp5.staticworld.net/news/graphics/199280-tether-android-pc_original.jpg
The app will now tell you that it's on and running as a background service. Next, just head over to your PC and find the PdaNet icon. On Windows machines, it'll be a rectangular cell-phone-like symbol in your system tray. Right-click the icon and select "Connect" from the pop-up menu.
That's it -- you're done! Your PC is officially tethered to your Android phone, and you should be able to surf the Web at will using your phone's 3G or 4G connection.

That, my friends, is Android power.

John of Phoenix
01-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Here's another Android tether setup direct from Google.
http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Iceboy
01-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks John. I am going to try rooting my LG Axis later this afternoon using Z4root. If that doesn't work to get me a wifi hotspot I will go to the Pdanet solution. I was hoping to not have to use a cable or bluetooth. I'll let you know how it works out. Tomorrow if it works and tuesday if not:)

Iceboy
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, I'm back online through my Android. The Z4root didn't work on my phone and only one or two folks have rooted (not what you downunder mob think although it is funny) theirs successfully and have done it through the linux console. I was hoping for a one click root like they say. I will wait for that or a step by step for linux. In the mean time I am working it through the PDAnet software John listed above. It did take a while as I had a corrupted driver download the first time and didn't catch the hints at first. It is working fine now and seems reasonably fast. I did get the full paid version and it works as advertised.

TimH
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
But I got to ask why don't all laptops just come with a 3G or 4G service built in?

Too limiting. Not all providers work everywhere (like here).

TimH
01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
PdaNet works.

TomF
01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Sorry. I thought the thread title said Android Apes.

As you were.

Old Dryfoot
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I just want to give this thread a little bump. I just received my Android tablet so I should have an idea or two for you shortly.

Iceboy
01-20-2011, 02:37 PM
How about an app that alerts you when other apps are using data bandwidth? I see that was a problem on some Win7 phones.

TimH
01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
I just want to give this thread a little bump. I just received my Android tablet so I should have an idea or two for you shortly.

What did you get?

TimH
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
How about an app that alerts you when other apps are using data bandwidth? I see that was a problem on some Win7 phones.

That is a good idea.

Old Dryfoot
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I picked up an Archos101 16GB tablet, 10.1 inch capacitive touch, I like it a lot. Angry Birds is a riot! :D

Iceboy
01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
That angry birds will suck the life out of you. My wife is already sick of the sounds it makes:)

Old Dryfoot
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM
It might do that but is sure is fun. Beside I'm still smarting over the big disappointment I received from Fallout New Vegas so a nice addicting free game is just what I needed.

As far as apps go the one thing that I'm keen on is using my tablet to control my audio and video equipment, sort of a universal remote control if you will. I have Android remotely controlling VLC and Winamp from my file server so far but I have found nothing that will work on the droid to control an IR blaster.

TimH
01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I am working on a Machinists calculator for my first app. There is one out there but with really poor ratings. Shouldn't be hard to improve on that. Mine will have a database of recommended SFMs and chiploads extracted from various cutting tool manufacturers catalogs.

Its Giving me a good experience figuring out GUI creation and SQLite databases.

From there I will look into the idea of a bandwidth monitor.

Looking at the app store I a surprised how much junk there is. Most of the "apps" aren't really applications at all, but glorified brochures and stuff like that.

Old Dryfoot
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
The amount of crap in the app store is disappointing, when they mention 100,000+ apps they don't say that about half of them are wallpapers...

Iceboy
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Bump. Here is another one Tim. My wife had an app that made an unannounced overseas call. I don't recall just what it was but suspect an Eminem ringtone. How about an app that alerts you when your phone is making a call outside of the phonepad? Also to others, make sure and read all of the info on apps before putting them on your phone. There are quite a few that will take all of your personal info and contacts on a regular basis. Most were in the free section. Jim...

perldog007
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
How about a Subway app? they have more franchise locations than MacDonalds? Because they are mostly locally owned one challenge is store capability detection, ingredients available in that market ( Cali folks looking for avacados in Ny are going to be bummed ), some stores will only have a fax to take orders, some might go for "iSub servers" to interact with an app.....

The idea would be a user could "pre-load" their favorite orders or make them on the fly and transmit them to the store ahead of their arrival. If you could get the corporation to buy in, there could even be prepay options, etc, etc,...

Would make $$$ for Mr. Subway by increasing output capacity, faster to read an order than to interrogate somebody standing in front of you in most cases. Save time for consumers as they don't have to stand there and be interrogated.

Just a thought.

John of Phoenix
01-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Here's one that should be pretty simple. The Droid senses magnets to see if it's in a docking station. In docking mode it shows the time, temp, and has a menu available and it doesn't go into sleep mode becasue it thinks it's being charged. Many phone holsters have magnets to keep them closed but they activate the docking station mode and as a result, drain the battery. Come up with an app to enable/disable the magnet sensor or disable docking mode.

Old Dryfoot
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
One of the things that I have noticed after a week of using my tablet is the keyboard in landscape mode can be a real stretch. On a phone or 7 inch device and even in portrait mode on 10 inch screens the standard keyboard if just fine but a split keyboard for landscape would be very nice. Slide out panels left and right that include a number pad and top row shifted symbols such as ! @ # $ and so on.

cs
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I just wanted to bump this to the top. Now that I have a Droid X I've been looking for different apps. I re-read this post and from it I went ahead and downloaded the gStrings tuner app. I might do the My Tracks later.

Other than that of course I have Angry Birds and Paper Toss, plus the local weather station app (which works better than the default weather app). I have the E-bay and Facebook app. I have Runtastic for running. The ESPN score center and Sports News Pro. I have looaded Mail Droid for e-mails (more functions than the default app) and I have a Julian date app and of course Pandora. I've also loaded PDA Net but not used it yet. And I downloaded FireFox. I also put UrbanSpoon on here (because my wife likes it) and Zumas Revenge.

Let me know of other cool apps.

BTW my wife has a Droid tablet but Urban Spoon was not in her market store, that is why it is on my phone.

Chad

ps wanted to add that I plan on buying the docking station for the Droid X so I can use it here at work. The Droid X does use the batteries at a pretty fast rate and with the docking station I can set it up on my desk as a clock and keep it charge and hook up my Bose speakers and play Pandora radio all day.

Old Dryfoot
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
One of the games that I'm really enjoying on my tablet is Pool Break by Kinetic Bytes, I'm only using the demo at the moment but will most likely purchase the full game, I think it's about $2 or $3. You can play serveral versions of Pool, Snooker, Carrom and Crokinole against the computer, head to head on the same device, or online players. It looks very good and plays well, nice and stable too.

The Astro file manager is a very good tool for accessing the files on your unit, works with zip archives, backup apps to SD or MicroSD card, built in files viewers, send files as attachments, full c&p multi file support. Haven't tried others yet as this one is working so well for me.

Photoshop Express is awesome, works very well and it's capable of tons of manipulations just like it's big brother. I only demoed it as I have no need to process photos on my tablet but if you need to be mobile and working with images I think you'll be happy with it.

Aldiko is my favorite app with out question as reading epub and pdf files is my number one pass time with my tablet, I've tried a hand full of other readers but none can touch it.

Movies is a fun little app to for browsing upcoming movies, reading reviews, seeing whats playing where and so on.

Memphis Mike
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Just got a 4G a couple of weeks ago and love it. Google Sky Maps is one of the coolest apps by far!

Old Dryfoot
04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
^ +1 I've tried it and it's really nice but I don't have GPS in my tablet so I never really bothered to use it. When I'm using the telescope it's almost always in the backyard and I just cart my laptop outside and use Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/) for start charts.