PDA

View Full Version : In praise of cats

ishmael
01-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I know some don't like them, but I'm not sure why. They don't pump the ego like a dog.

Looking at this one just now, perched under my desk lamp because it's nice and warm.

I've always had cats about. Doggies too, but always cats. This one is a bobby dazzler. If I were to set out to design a cat I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better one.

Short haired(always a plus)
A nifty size, maybe nine pounds
A great mouser(No more mouse turds in the silverware drawer)
Polydactly

I wondered about that last one. I'd never seen so many toes on a cat until I moved to New England. Looked it up on the web, and one story is that they came to New England aboard ships moving in and out of Boston. They were, apparently, highly prized as ship's cats for their mousing skills, and were considered a good omen.

This one's paws are a never ending source of awe. Her front paws have almost an opposable thumb.

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Ish.. it is an ego thing.To be loved and appreciated bya pet..specifically a dog is good. A cat is aloof, independent etc... Easy to tell the difference.... I'd rather have dog... A dog cares..
Just saw a special reguarding an injured woman in the outback.. The dog actually went and found help..A cat would never dream of doing that.. If you find one that would, let me know.. .Animal Planet last night!!!!

Paul Pless
01-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm trying but can't really come up with much good to say otherthan katherine likes them.

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I thought she liked rabbits

Katherine
01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Anybody know how to shave a cat?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I never had a cat until I moved to this house, and there was a large feral population. The tenants I had at the time had two cats as well, and did nothing to take care of them. I ended up inheriting the big orange male, named Ryan. He's king of the kitties around here. We also had five cats fixed, and all their shots etc, and that knocked down the feral population quite substantially. One of the ferals became a house cat with Ryan, but two of them are temporaries... they come in to eat, one stays inside for the winter, but otherwise they are outside all the time, and not easily handled. I won't see an animal starve, and we have done our best to control the population, so ...

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM

woon't..... sayyyy anythinnnnnggg..... ..... .... :D

James McMullen
01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I like cats. This one used to help out in the shop all the time.

http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/17060/2221409670088484686S600x600Q85.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2221409670088484686MhYckZ)

switters
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, but dead hairless cats are even more useless than live hairy ones.

Chris Coose
01-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Two cats live at my house and seem to make the bride and my daughter happy.
They get sad when one of the cats stays away for more than a few days at a time.
I wished I got the same attention some times.

Neither of these two cats will take down a grey squirrel like a cat I used to have.
That'd make them far more useful to me.

ishmael
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Many years ago now I camped, often, at a place called Edisto Island. A wonderful place, with a Carolina beach, a dune line, and primitive campsites huddled behind. The last time I drove through there it had been badly beaten by a hurricane, and wasn't at all the same.

I mention it because in the dunes was a large population of feral cats. They'd wander into the campfire for a nibble. I always took pity on them and gave them a bit. The cats and the racoons were in competition there.

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Lic..the bloody cats..The SPCA thinks it has a problem with feral cats....
!

ishmael
01-13-2011, 01:34 PM
A few neighbor cats wander in now and then. Catawumpous and they mix it up, fights over turf. It's mostly just for show, though I did have to take her to the vet for bite wound that infected. I keep telling her, lay your ears back, and bat with your paws, but don't get bitten again. It seems to be working.

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Sorry Ish..I have no empathy at all for those who let their cats out to poop in the neighbor's yard. ?Nor do I have any empathy for the caterwalling,, It is up to the owner to curb the cat...ot dog actually...You are the owner!

Fitz
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I got this for Christmas...

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/46191/2444008840054321892S600x600Q85.jpg

Dutch
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM

no but ..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkviIYKjPyw

ishmael
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I knew a guy who ran a junk shop down Bucksport way. A nice enough guy, that row of frame buildings has since been torn down.

He kept a Maine Coon cat, in chicken wire enclosure at the back of the store. I asked him once why he kept the cat contained. I'd wiggle my fingers at it now and then. He said, "that cat isn't sociable."

SMARTINSEN
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I like dogs, cats, too. I would love to have a barn cat, but SWMBO is absolutely and adamantly against it. Never in the house though. They stink, might as well have a skunk.

BarnacleGrim
01-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Cats are nice. I'm a dog person, but I'd gladly get a couple of cats, if I had someone to look after them while I'm out at sea.

I don't mind the neighbor cats going walkabout in my garden. In fact I believe it is a feline right. Besides, they always cover their tracks when out prowling, leaving a steaming pile in the open is not very catlike.

S.V. Airlie
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Cats are nice. I'm a dog person, but I'd gladly get a couple of cats, if I had someone to look after them while I'm out at sea.

I don't mind the neighbor cats going walkabout in my garden. In fact I believe it is a feline right. Besides, they always cover their tracks when out prowling, leaving a steaming pile in the open is not very catlike. I would not either except my do=gloves cat merde.. 'and it does not go through her well.

skipper68
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Welll,Yes I DO... Had 2 that needed a good shave every once in a while.They were both long hairs.The mangled fur would keep knotting on them till it would pull. One I brought in as a stray. His ears were all mangled,and he would run into walls and never quite make it up on the chair. The vet said ear mites ruined his balance. The other was my old lady aboard. Just gave up for 3 years in the spring. I took both to the groomers. You put a muzzle on them,and you wear welders gloves to hold the feet. I liked the lion king look.
I have always had cats find me,for some reason. :)

paul oman
01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
and the taste like chicken! (note: I have three indoor cats)

JayInOz
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I've seen five cats on my farm in the last two years. Buried the lot of 'em. My sister has cats- and there are some sparrows at her place too. And that's all. I have no cats and a farm full of lizards and bugs and literally hundreds of small birds- nine species nesting at the moment. A couple of years ago my sister went on vacation for two weeks and we got stuck with looking after one of her cats. When she came to collect it I took her into my machinery shed and showed her where kitty ate his kills. The feathers from parrots, wrens, thrushes, thornbills and the tail from a little sugar glider. Couldn't keep the cat locked inside because it spent the night trying to find a way out. They've decimated the populations of many species of small native birds and animals here and are partially responsible for several extinctions too. Nasty attitude, crappy pets, poop in the garden, eat wildlife and stink- and as far as I can tell that's their good points. :d JayInOz

Tom Montgomery
01-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I think a stinky cat is a poor reflection on it's owner rather than on the animal.

My cat has a great attitude, is affectionate, is fastidiously clean, and has been a wonderful pet/companion. He has also been neutered and has never set foot outside of the house.

I also like dogs. But they are infinitely more dependent than cats. Acquiring a dog is like adopting a child.

ishmael
01-13-2011, 08:26 PM
This one is what my dad used to call a keeper. Her one fault, and its minor, is that she's worried about food. It's understandable, her being a orphan and all. I've learned to step lightly at two in the morning when I get up to take a whiz, because she's likely to be rushing for the food bowl.