PDA

View Full Version : Palin gasoline on smoldering embers

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Palin would have done better to maintain a dignified silence. If the click-to cites donít come through and you want the sources, just go to the Guardian site

Published on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 by The Guardian/UK

Sarah Palin Brands Media's Attacks Over Arizona Shooting as 'Blood Libel'

Politician breaks silence on Giffords shooting and lambasts opponents with controversial choice of language

by Matthew Weaver

Sarah Palin today accused her opponents of manufacturing a "blood libel" by suggesting her rhetoric and campaign tactics had anything to do with the Arizona shootings.

Four days after an incident which left six people dead and critically injured the congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords , Palin released a video statement condemning the attack.

She denied that a now infamous campaign map showing Giffords's electoral district in the cross hairs of a gun had influenced the shooter Jared Lee Loughner .

In an attack on her accusers, she said: "Journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible."

Palin's bizarre use of language is sure to provoke further controversy. A blood libel refers to a notorious passage in St Matthew where Jews said of the crucifixion: "Let his blood be on our heads." Later it referred to a medieval myth that Jews killed their children as part of a religious ritual. Giffords is Arizona's first Jewish congresswoman.

Palin, who is expected to run for president in 2012, pointed out that her Democrats had used similar target maps in election campaigns: "Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the*criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state, not with those who listen to talk radio, not with maps of*swing*districts used by both sides of the aisle."

Apart from an initial message of condemnation, Palin has been unusually silent since the attack, while debate has raged in America about her role in the use of extreme rhetoric .

In an interview in March after her office had been vandalised, Giffords herself warned there would be "consequences" for depicting her district in the cross hairs of a gun.

After the shooting the Pima county sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, called for an end to "the anger, the hatred, the bigotry" in America.

Palin denied that rhetoric had become more extreme. Her statement, reproduced on her Facebook page , said: "There are those who claim political rhetoric is to blame for the despicable act of this deranged, apparently apolitical criminal. And they claim political debate has somehow gotten more heated just recently. But when was it less heated?"

She added: "I've spent the past few days reflecting on what happened and praying for guidance. After this shocking tragedy, I*listened, at first puzzled, then with concern, and now with sadness, to the irresponsible statements from people attempting to apportion blame for this terrible event."

© Guardian News and Media Limited 2011

paul oman
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
so right. Let's shut done all Target stores and their awful bullseye logo! It was obama that said during 2008 that his folks should bring a gun to the other side (if they brought a knife) - So I blame obama and Target stores. Heck, let's blame walmart too while we are at it. Wasn't it an ex-Florida congressman that wanted his opponents to 'die slowly'?

the only connection palin has with this shotting is the one made up by the far nutty left. Why should she respond (she did this morning)? Funny how the shooter is anti-government while the palin folks are traditional government yet the left continues to try to make a connection.... His views seem more like they lean to the left than to the right.

Dutch
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
oh good another palin thread-

we need someone to consolidate these

Dutch
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I think she should have said blood " trail ", with it leading back to her

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I think she needs to hire a speechwriter who knows a little more history than she does. She surely cannot have known what the "blood libel" is.

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
It's fairly clear that Ms Palin either does not respect the history of the term "blood libel" or she has a remarkably overblown sense of martyrdom. This is not really a new tactic for the right. After all, only the right thinks that Fascism and Nazism are forms of communism. And the path to civil discourse is not to be found by tossing more inflamatory calumnies and then counting on one's followers to dredge up "the other side's" past excesses as a justification.

Rather we can and should:

Hold all to the standard that vigorous debate is about issues;

Understand that while some metaphores of sports-like violence are part of any contest, simply whipping those chants makes for an overly polarized polity;

Realize that the climate of violence we see now did not cause the killings in Arizona any more than the Tea Party's relentless campaign to paint the Tuscon sherriff as a lefty caused it; and

Recognize the climate of violence as a device that keeps us from making a world of justice and opportunity.

It is not an act of rhetorical violence to quote Palin's bizarre and repulsive use of the term "blood libel". Nor is it rhetorical violence to note that the rhetorical violence, from which all must step away, did not cause this shooting.

ishmael
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, blood libel is a rather specific term.

I think Ms. Palin is not going to get the Republican nomination. Not because of this recent tragedy, I think people will see she's out of her depth.

I've mentioned her before, but I really hope the Republicans are talking to Christine Todd Whitman. She's not much on the political radar these days, but I think she'd make a fine candidate, and a fine president. If you want a woman, eeww. LOL.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Palin was right ( this time). You lot need to get a grip. This guy was found to have a form letter from Giffords in a safe dated 2007 before Palin was even on the National Scene. if any body inspired this guy with violent imagery, here's your culprit ( at the risk of being repetitive...)

Democrat Joe Manchin, freshman Senator from West Virginia....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJORBRpOPM

Shooting legislation that Giffords voted for with a GUN!!?? WTF? OMG!!! there's your culprit. Now go and sin no more.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
"Blood libel"? Utterly incredible.... hyperheated rhetoric must need a NEW elevation, I guess.

The woman is sick.Sick? Hmmmm........ You know what I think Norm? I think there is an intelligence deficit on the left, a failure to engage the cerebrum. I thought with some time it would fade and the left would regain it's capacity to reason. Then I read your post.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
It's fairly clear that Ms Palin either does not respect the history of the term "blood libel" or she has a remarkably overblown sense of martyrdom. This is not really a new tactic for the right. After all, only the right thinks that Fascism and Nazism are forms of communism. And the path to civil discourse is not to be found by tossing more inflamatory calumnies and then counting on one's followers to dredge up "the other side's" past excesses as a justification.

Rather we can and should:

Hold all to the standard that vigorous debate is about issues;

Understand that while some metaphores of sports-like violence are part of any contest, simply whipping those chants makes for an overly polarized polity;

Realize that the climate of violence we see now did not cause the killings in Arizona any more than the Tea Party's relentless campaign to paint the Tuscon sherriff as a lefty caused it; and

Recognize the climate of violence as a device that keeps us from making a world of justice and opportunity.

It is not an act of rhetorical violence to quote Palin's bizarre and repulsive use of the term "blood libel". Nor is it rhetorical violence to note that the rhetorical violence, from which all must step away, did not cause this shooting.

Since the tragedy involved the murder of a child, and all of twitdom was condemning Palin before the name of the shooter was released, before it came out the Loughner was described by his peers as "liberal" and "dope smoking leftist" and given that the accusations still continue without basis, perhaps this term is one of the few things she does understand outside of her realm. Or maybe not.

I don't fault her for a vigorous defense, might agree that the level and tone used could be better advised.

As I understand the term, it refers to false accusations that Jews participated in ritual murder of children. it's a stretch, but she is being accused of being responsible for inflaming a situation that tragically included the murder of a nine year old girl, http://www.realclearpolitics.com/2011/01/09/giffords039_blood_is_on_palin039s_hands_248515.htm l for a quick example.

I find it telling that you describe Palin's language as repulsive but don't seem to comment on the accusations from the left that engendered such a statement.

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Bud, check out the meaning of "blood libel" before you further humiliate yourself.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Bud, check out the meaning of "blood libel" before you further humiliate yourself.

I am familiar with the term since High School, and even took the added precaution of reading the left wing approved Wiki before posting. Perhaps you should consider the media hysteria that provoked Palin's response before you further expose your own bias, and disconnection with reality. She has been accused of having the blood of that nine year old girl and others on her hands for a cross hair on a map and using a metaphor.

Blood Libel is, as I understand it, a false and heinous accusation not based on fact and directed at a certain people to demonise them. Arguably it applies as a metaphor, a concept apparently elusive oft times hereabouts.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
"Blood libel"? Utterly incredible.... hyperheated rhetoric must need a NEW elevation, I guess.

The woman is sick.

Whereas the "liberals" saying that she has blood on her hands is healthy, right?

Curtism
01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Here's a brief article that includes a seven minute video of Palin's statement and the transcript. I'd be curious to know who wrote the script that she obviously read from a teleprompter.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2011/01/12/sarah-palin-responds-by-video-to-assassination-attempt-on-gabrielle-giffords-says-pundits-tried-to-manufacture-a-blood-libel/

Y Bar Ranch
01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Whereas the "liberals" saying that she has blood on her hands is healthy, right?

They would never be so crass. From CNN, back during the election...

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/10/29/palin.noose/art.palin.gi.jpg

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Palin knows that on Monday Congress set aside today to memorialize the Tucson shooting victems. She appears to have timed her tasteless remark to station herself as one of the victems.

It's simple. If she were serious about righteous debate rather than simple inflamation, she'd speak rather differently. She did not cause the shooting. She just makes our nation's response stupider and more polarizing.

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Y-Bar is again at it with the effigy. He already knows that it was a leftist mayor who with GLBT support called for its removal. But he just does not want to admit to that.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Here's a brief article that includes a seven minute video of Palin's statement and the transcript. I'd be curious to know who wrote the script that she obviously read from a teleprompter.

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2011/01/12/sarah-palin-responds-by-video-to-assassination-attempt-on-gabrielle-giffords-says-pundits-tried-to-manufacture-a-blood-libel/

Right off the bat, why is Palin's map "chilling" yet no mention of the Manchin shoot 'em up video? No mention of this guys reported left leaning roots? No mention of a possible obsession with Giffords going back to before Palin was on the National scene? Yeah, sure that's unbiased, and I'm a Chippendale.

TimH
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
the republican party can't be serious ?

Lots of whackos out there....more than I could have ever guessed.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Palin knows that on Monday Congress set aside today to memorialize the Tucson shooting victems. She appears to have timed her tasteless remark to station herself as one of the victems.

It's simple. If she were serious about righteous debate rather than simple inflamation, she'd speak rather differently. She did not cause the shooting. She just makes our nation's response stupider and more polarizing.

She is one of the Victims Ian. She was being blamed before we even knew the shooter's name. If you find her response in poor taste, bear in mind that taste is subjective. I still don't hear anything from you regarding the level of decorum from those who trampled over the bodies of the victims and the grief of their loved ones to try and pin this on Palin. Did I miss a post?

Edited to add: Could it be that she is a pundit, shot caller and provocateur who makes her cheese off of controversy and not from healing much like the pundits who dragged her into this fight?

Pugwash
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
.. and even took the added precaution of reading the left wing approved Wiki before posting....

Here you go..http://www.conservapedia.com/Blood_libel

Of course, Conservapedia doesn't allow open discussion and editing. But then the view from the right is always correct.

Innit?

:)

pefjr
Bud, check out the meaning of "blood libel" before you further humiliate yourself.This is the gasoline you refer to? http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-15749652/23824249. Blood libel can be interpreted or perceived as you choose. You obvious choose to interpret in relation to your politics.

Looks like you are the one pouring the gasoline, and after this time period too. I was mistaken in thinking you were one of the exceptions Perldog referred to.

perldog007
She's really expected to run in 2012 ? No seriously ? Come on. I mean seriously we all joke about her and all but honestly she's an idiot, the republican party can't be serious ?

Either party would run Carrot Top if they thought he would win. Sadly, nature of the game.

perldog007
Here you go..http://www.conservapedia.com/Blood_libel

Of course, Conservapedia doesn't allow open discussion and editing. But then the view from the right is always correct.

Innit?

:)

DUh, that's why it's called "right"

Pugwash
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
DUh, that's why it's called "right"

Thanks. I always thought it was because you raised your right hand, with the arm kept straight, until it was in the 11 o'clock position.

perldog007
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks. I always thought it was because you raised your right hand, with the arm kept straight, until it was in the 11 o'clock position.

Nope, back when G. Gordon Liddy was in short pants that's how they rolled during the pledge of allegiance, but first the godless sodomite humanistic bed wetting tree hugging sandal wearing dope smoking leftists made it hand over heart, then they got to work removing "G-d" from the pledge, now they want the pledge outlawed. You're welcome for the historical perspective :D

Milo Christensen
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I heard that in 1998, Sarah Palin got so upset with some of her "betrayers" that she grabbed a steak knife and started sticking it into the table screaming the names and shouting Dead! Dead! Dead!

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Milo, that bit was well publicized but it was not really a public moment and I'd not hold it against her. Letting off stress, even if a bit violently, before turning to the public to do the serene leadership bit is perfectly understandable and sure beats repressive bottling up.

paul oman
01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
January 8, 2011

Daily Kos Blogger: "Gabby Giffords Is Dead to Me" note the Kos rag removed the post hours after the shooting... probably a few hours after the shooter read it....

see? is the left that wanted her dead........

Pugwash
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Shooting legislation that Giffords voted for with a GUN!!?? WTF? OMG!!! there's your culprit. Now go and sin no more.

Meanwhile, in South Carolina.....

http://www.free-times.com/Image/24_02/psa_larger1.jpg

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Despite the frantic efforts of the right to either blame the left for the shooting and to distance the rhetoric of violence from the shooting, neither Palin nor over-polarized rhetoric nor the left caused the shooting, and noting that does nothing to help the right stop missing the point, like Palin did today.

bobbys
01-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Palin would have done better to maintain a dignified silence. If the click-to cites don’t come through and you want the sources, just go to the Guardian site

Published on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 by The Guardian/UK

Sarah Palin Brands Media's Attacks Over Arizona Shooting as 'Blood Libel'

Politician breaks silence on Giffords shooting and lambasts opponents with controversial choice of language

by Matthew Weaver

Sarah Palin today accused her opponents of manufacturing a "blood libel" by suggesting her rhetoric and campaign tactics had anything to do with the Arizona shootings.

Four days after an incident which left six people dead and critically injured the congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords , Palin released a video statement condemning the attack.

She denied that a now infamous campaign map showing Giffords's electoral district in the cross hairs of a gun had influenced the shooter Jared Lee Loughner .

In an attack on her accusers, she said: "Journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible."

Palin's bizarre use of language is sure to provoke further controversy. A blood libel refers to a notorious passage in St Matthew where Jews said of the crucifixion: "Let his blood be on our heads." Later it referred to a medieval myth that Jews killed their children as part of a religious ritual. Giffords is Arizona's first Jewish congresswoman.

Palin, who is expected to run for president in 2012, pointed out that her Democrats had used similar target maps in election campaigns: "Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the*criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state, not with those who listen to talk radio, not with maps of*swing*districts used by both sides of the aisle."

Apart from an initial message of condemnation, Palin has been unusually silent since the attack, while debate has raged in America about her role in the use of extreme rhetoric .

In an interview in March after her office had been vandalised, Giffords herself warned there would be "consequences" for depicting her district in the cross hairs of a gun.

After the shooting the Pima county sheriff, Clarence Dupnik, called for an end to "the anger, the hatred, the bigotry" in America.

Palin denied that rhetoric had become more extreme. Her statement, reproduced on her Facebook page , said: "There are those who claim political rhetoric is to blame for the despicable act of this deranged, apparently apolitical criminal. And they claim political debate has somehow gotten more heated just recently. But when was it less heated?"

She added: "I've spent the past few days reflecting on what happened and praying for guidance. After this shocking tragedy, I*listened, at first puzzled, then with concern, and now with sadness, to the irresponsible statements from people attempting to apportion blame for this terrible event."

© Guardian News and Media Limited 2011.

>>>Palin would have done better to maintain a dignified silence. <<<.

That pretty much sums up all the hopes and wishes from the left and the sole purpose of all the false charges and insane Logic leaps that even Evil Ken evil would not try and jump.

rbgarr
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
She may well have done better by just letting her plea for prayers for the victims stand a while longer but doesn't she find herself between a rock and a hard place? She can't stay quiet while others defend her and whatever she says will be picked apart unmercifully. Political ambitions have sunk on shallower obstructions (remember Howard Dean's Howl?). We'll see if she can continue her transformation through celebrityhood to political influence of whatever kind.

I don't know whether her use of the term 'blood libel' is an unknowing one, (the phrase historically refers to the myth that Jews kill Christian children to use their blood for making matzo) but it's seen as unbelievably poor taste considering Giffords is Jewish. How can someone who uses terms like that be seriously considered leadership material? I can't see it.

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Palin is not responsible for the shooting but she is responsible for using the term "blood libel" on the day set aside to memorialize the dead and pray for the wounded. In the universe of things she could say, she chose this. 100% her call.

Curtism
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Right off the bat, why is Palin's map "chilling" yet no mention of the Manchin shoot 'em up video? No mention of this guys reported left leaning roots? No mention of a possible obsession with Giffords going back to before Palin was on the National scene? Yeah, sure that's unbiased, and I'm a Chippendale.

I thought the Sarah pac map was unfortunate for her cause and I'm sure it was quite an embarrassment for her handlers. Did people jump on the fact that Rep. Giffords name was on her "hit list"? Absolutely. Would it have been handled differently had things been the other way around? I doubt it.

As for Manchin's ad; if you've been paying attention, it has been brought up several times over the past few days, although not on this thread prior to your mention of it. I personally think his ad was equally stupid and when it comes to irresponsible rhetoric, I don't usually distinguish between red or blue, left or right, conservative or liberal. Stupid and irresponsible is just that, and it's up to us, as citizens, to speak out against such ignorant gestures when we see them. It seems we haven't done so well at that, have we?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
She added: "I've spent the past few days reflecting on what happened and praying for guidance.

It's that prayer thing again. She should be a lot smarter, but that's just my opinion.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Palin is not responsible for the shooting but she is responsible for using the term "blood libel" on the day set aside to memorialize the dead and pray for the wounded. In the universe of things she could say, she chose this. 100% her call.It matters none, nada what Palin does or says, the looney left with criticize it and her anyway. If there is anyone on the left that is not irrational about this lady please come forward, if for no other reason than to prove me wrong.

Pugwash
01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
It matters none, nada what Palin does or says, the looney left with criticize it and her anyway. If there is anyone on the left that is not irrational about this lady please come forward, if for no other reason than to prove me wrong.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2011/01/sarah_palins_missed_opportunit.html

What is remarkable to me, however, is Palin's ability to never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Palin didn't ask to be part of this story. But she did choose how to respond to it. Imagine if Palin had come out and said, "My initial response was to defend the fact that I had never condoned such violence, and never would. But the fact is, if I in any way contributed to an unhealthy political climate, I have to be more careful and deliberate in my public language rather than merely sharpen my defenses." That would've been leadership: It would have made her critics look small, and it would've made her look big. Those who doubted whether Palin could rise to an occasion that called for more than sharp partisanship would've been silenced.

Which is pretty much what Ian said.

johnw
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
She is one of the Victims Ian.
Wow.

bobbys
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
It's that prayer thing again. She should be a lot smarter, but that's just my opinion..

I notice Prayer seems to really set you off.

Should we pray today with our President if he asks us to or will you have the same comment for him?.

Or are prayers just bad if they come from people you differ with.?

rbgarr
01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't say I'm irrational about her and I'm generally left. I do want to understand what her appeal is to so many. It's important to try to grasp that. I just have trouble finding her to be good leadership material. She was selected by Alaskans to be their governor, but quit when some of the going got tough. if i were an Alaskan, even if i didn't vote for her and found her objectionable, i'd be quite wary of her commitment or ability to deal with setbacks. Sometimes, not always, but enough of the time she seems remarkably sensitive, playing the victim card. Not qualities i'd look for in a national leader no matter what the party or office.

johnw
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't say I'm irrational about her and I'm generally left. I do want to understand what her appeal is to so many. It's important to try to grasp that. I just have trouble finding her to be good leadership material. She was selected by Alaskans to be their governor, but quit when some of the going got tough. if i were an Alaskan, even if i didn't vote for her and found her objectionable, i'd be quite wary of her commitment or ability to deal with setbacks. Sometimes, not always, but enough of the time she seems remarkably sensitive, playing the victim card. Not qualities i'd look for in a national leader no matter what the party or office.
http://www.thefourthbranch.com/tag/palin-alaska-approval/

Her approval rating is lower than President Obama’s approval rating… in Alaska.
According to a Public Policy Poll (http://www.dailykos.com/polling/2010/10/9/AK/14/uuPqM)taken October 9-10, 2010, Palin has a favorable/unfavorable split of 35/57.

George Jung
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I see the rhetoric is still wound tight and at full production.

Gotta make hay while you can, right?

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Irrational lefties like myself tried to recognize when Palin did right - #128, #136 of http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?124933-Arizona-Congresswoman-Giffords-Shot-Today/page3 - but then she piles on with "blood libel".

SMARTINSEN
01-12-2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.igopogo.com/images/pogoplaque.jpg

bobbys
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Gotta make hay while you can, right?.

Its very interesting , The smart people on the left gave up on this already leaving the Palin Derangement gang to carry the crusade .

johnw
01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Palin could have made this go away by saying, I now realize the map was in poor taste, my prayers are with Rep. Giffords, etc. Instead, she's doubling down on polarizing the electorate and acting as if she's the victim. I can't believe dog buys it.

peb
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Sick? Hmmmm........ You know what I think Norm? I think there is an intelligence deficit on the left, a failure to engage the cerebrum. I thought with some time it would fade and the left would regain it's capacity to reason. Then I read your post.

Very true. I think the reaction from the left on this shooting illustrates the intelligence deficit of the left quite well. Either that or they are utterly without decency. I guess its ok with me if they choose which category they fall into.

peb
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Palin could have made this go away by saying, I now realize the map was in poor taste, my prayers are with Rep. Giffords, etc. Instead, she's doubling down on polarizing the electorate and acting as if she's the victim. I can't believe dog buys it.

Utterly incredible. Which side of this tried to polarize the electorate with this debate? You have got to be kidding.

Ian McColgin
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I regret that my post #46 did not rise to the right brain.

johnw
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I am familiar with the term since High School, and even took the added precaution of reading the left wing approved Wiki before posting. Perhaps you should consider the media hysteria that provoked Palin's response before you further expose your own bias, and disconnection with reality. She has been accused of having the blood of that nine year old girl and others on her hands for a cross hair on a map and using a metaphor.

Blood Libel is, as I understand it, a false and heinous accusation not based on fact and directed at a certain people to demonise them. Arguably it applies as a metaphor, a concept apparently elusive oft times hereabouts.
From Adam Sewer:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2011/01/the_foolishness_of_the_blood_l.html
Blood libel is a term that usually refers to an ancient falsehood that Jews use the blood of Christian children in religious rituals. For hundreds of years, particularly during the Middle Ages, it was used to justify the slaughter of Jews in the street and their expulsion from entire countries. "Blood libel" is not wrongfully assigning guilt to an individual for murder, but rather assigning guilt collectively to an entire group of people and then using it to justify violence against them.

This is a new low for Palin, but outsize comparisons of partisan political conflict to instances of terrible historical oppression is a fairly frequent rhetorical device among conservative media figures. Early in the Obama administration, Rush Limbaugh said (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200905270029) D.C. was like "the Old South" for Republicans, who were an "oppressed minority." Following the news that the Department of Justice was reviewing the outcome of the case of a white cop who had shot an unarmed black man in San Francisco, Glenn Beck told his audience (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201007090014) that, "We have turned this into the 1950s overnight, except the races are reversed."

Given that people like Beck and Limbaugh have spent the last two years trying to convince their audiences (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200909150017) that being white and conservative in America today (http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201012090011) is comparable to being black under Jim Crow, Palin's use of "blood libel" isn't entirely surprising.

The difference is, though, that Beck and Limbaugh don't really fancy themselves as political leaders in the sense Palin does. As David Frum wrote earlier this week (http://www.frumforum.com/what-palin-needed-to-say-after-giffords-shooting), Palin's previous response to the incident was "petty at a moment when Palin had been handed perhaps her last clear chance to show herself presidentially magnanimous." That was before she was drawing parallels between harsh, even unfair verbal criticism and genocide.

Now, mere days after the incident, with six people dead and Giffords still recovering, Palin is making herself the center of attention. It might please the audience for conservative talk radio or Fox News, but most people will be disgusted. As well they should be.

johnw
01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Utterly incredible. Which side of this tried to polarize the electorate with this debate? You have got to be kidding.
Ah, so you really were born yesterday. This has been going on for a while, you don't get to act like it started with the gunshot.

peb
01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Ah, so you really were born yesterday. This has been going on for a while, you don't get to act like it started with the gunshot.

I was commenting about your comment, which directly referenced what happend since the shooting. And of course I know that polorization was going on before the tragedy, what I didn't know is either how stupid of morally corrupt the left is until I have witnessed their reaction to the tragedy. Sorry thats the way I see it, it cannot be overstated it is so bad. I am out of here for a while.

John of Phoenix
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
She is one of the Victims Ian. Six dead, twenty wounded and Sarah is a Victim (with a capital V no less). Only Sarah could pull that off but then again, look at her fans.

Somewhere there's a speech writer screaming back into the phone, "I didn't know 'blood lible' meant THAT! Did YOU know? Did SHE know? WHO knew it's about JEWS? WHAT?!?! Giffords is a JEW? The dead AID was a Jew? WHO KNEW?"

Research - the lost art.

Dutch
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
politicians never say anything stupid do they?

pefjr
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I was commenting about your comment, which directly referenced what happend since the shooting. And of course I know that polorization was going on before the tragedy, what I didn't know is either how stupid of morally corrupt the left is until I have witnessed their reaction to the tragedy. Sorry thats the way I see it, it cannot be overstated it is so bad. I am out of here for a while.I agree and have thought about a get away from the idiocy fishing trip myself. And it continues and is growing.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I regret that my post #46 did not rise to the right brain.Credibility maybe?

Steve McMahon
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I've been lurking in the bilge over the last few days and reading the posts regarding the tragedy in Arizona. Is there any wonder why you guys down there scare the H.E. double hockey sticks out of your world neighbors? How soon before the far right starts using "shock and awe" to prove their point! Shaking my head.... looking for a 2x4 to whack my brain with....some of you guys are really nuts! Don't you have anything better to do?

Y Bar Ranch
01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Six dead, twenty wounded and Sarah is a Victim (with a capital V no less).
The left is certainly using the death of the six and the wounding of the twenty in order to go on the attack against her and kill Palin's potential presidency hopes. Accusations that her chart led to the killings have proven to meet the minimal standard of fake but accurate and thus makes her a valid target for attacks from the left I guess.

I didn't vote for her before and wouldn't again, but continue to marvel at the raw foam-spewing hatred she generates on the left.

Peerie Maa
01-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I didn't vote for her before and wouldn't again, but continue to marvel at the raw foam-spewing hatred she generates on the left.

I guess they recognise her excellence as a potential POTUS. As evidenced by her latest public statement, real Statesmanlike performance.

John of Phoenix
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Accusations that her chart led to the killings have proven to meet the minimal standard
Sure you can find some who will make that accusation but it's pretty well accepted that the shooter was your garden variety wacko. The more accurate complaint would be that she weaponized the already hot rhetoric with that chart and hasn't backed away from it. I'm sure you will disagree. Fine.

johnw
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
The left is certainly using the death of the six and the wounding of the twenty in order to go on the attack against her and kill Palin's potential presidency hopes. Accusations that her chart led to the killings have proven to meet the minimal standard of fake but accurate and thus makes her a valid target for attacks from the left I guess.

Ah, so pointing out that spewing hate might be a bad thing is an "attack." I haven't seen anyone say her chart led to the killings, though quite a few have said it contributed to a charged atmosphere that may have made such a thing more likely. How do you explain the rise in death threats against public officials? And why is it that any criticism of a bad decision on Palin's part is "foam -spewing hatred?" The funny thing is, the local radio commentators bear a lot more responsibility, but Palin has managed to make it about her again. She'd rather be the center of attention than quietly apologize and step out of the limelight. What a camera moth.

johnw
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Alan Dershowitz on Palin's use of "blood libel."
I don't think anyone said it was anti-Semitic. That doesn't mean it was in good taste, especially when she's portraying herself as a victim after a Jewish legislator has been shot. My thinking was that her statement was tone-deaf, and she'd have done better to say, well, maybe the map was over the top, I've taken it down, my prayers are with Rep. Giffords, and step out of the limelight. Not really possible for her, sadly.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
The more accurate complaint would be that she weaponized the already hot rhetoric with that chart and hasn't backed away from it. The more accurate statement would be the left has lost their cool in a spreading virus of bigotry over a little grandma in Alaska. Completely lost their cool. The left is exposed, naked, crazed, and despairingly trying to make a case without any foundation. Embarrassing, yet the naked exposure is telling, and speaks volumes about marriages to ideology.

Chris Coose
01-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Yea she's an idiot

She's finished.

bobbys
01-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Does ANYONE think Palin knew the connotation "blood libel" before yesterday, or better yet before someone wrote it FOR HER?

The right always make bones about Obama's teleprompter, as if is some alien cyborg that makes up brilliant speeches and Obama just reads them. Plain is a friggen idiot. Using the term makes her look like a trailer hillbilly that memorized the answers to a Jepordy rerun so she can impress her inbred family.

Yea she's an idiot.

Joe not right to insert her family in this...

bobbys
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
She's finished..

What is finished is any resemblance to fairness from the press forever...

Paul Pless
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
She's finished.oh i s'pect 'the left' will continue to trot her out for some time to come

Nicholas Carey
01-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Palin was right ( this time). You lot need to get a grip. This guy was found to have a form letter from Giffords in a safe dated 2007 before Palin was even on the National Scene. if any body inspired this guy with violent imagery, here's your culprit ( at the risk of being repetitive...)

Shooting legislation that Giffords voted for with a GUN!!?? WTF? OMG!!! there's your culprit. Now go and sin no more.What's the matter with that? He's talking about "taking aim" at a bill -- and idea.

Compare and contrast that with the language coming from the RWWJs (Glenn Beck, in this instance):

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/bill-moyers-journal-rage-radio

Here's a transcript:

BECK: Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, "Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore," and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, "Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death." And you know, well, I'm not sure.

The former attacks an idea; the latter attacks a person. Slight difference, there.

bobbys
01-12-2011, 07:37 PM
OMFG Do you live in a friggen cave ????????
She's brought her family Soooooooooooooooo into this from day one

she has a freaking reality show about her family
Her daughter was on dancing with the stars
The family is complete media whores

That like leaving the freaking Kardashians family alone

Bwaaaaaaaa ha ha :).

I was not aware Piper or willow or Bristol were involved with this nor are they "inbreds" or live in a trailer ..

Did your hate for these girls come upon you all at once or was it a gradual thing that you never noticed till it overtook you?

Pugwash
01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
The more accurate statement would be the left has lost their cool in a spreading virus of bigotry over a little grandma in Alaska. Completely lost their cool. The left is exposed, naked, crazed, and despairingly trying to make a case without any foundation. Embarrassing, yet the naked exposure is telling, and speaks volumes about marriages to ideology.

Not so. In fact the right are making as much noise as anyone about Sarah Palin. In the same way that they made a fuss over that other deluded witch, Christine O'Donnell.

It's a convenient distraction, it takes the heat away from any other party members that might have made an embarrassing faux pas during the last year. Notice, if anyone mentions Sharron Angle, Michelle Bachman or Rand Paul the right start shouting about Sarah Palin.

It also gives you a wonderful opportunity to play martyr to the far right, like you just did.

seanz
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Just watched the video......"When I say 'Take up arms', I meant your vote".....how could anybody misunderstand that?

From Tundra Barbie to Humpty Dumpty...........

BETTY-B
01-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Once again we see the Left using "we", and the, totally clueless to their actions, Right using "FU". It's just incredible. It's one thing to try and communicate to a child with his fingers in his ears. But quite another when that ignorant little brat has guns too. This isnt going well.

bobbys
01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Obviously you DO live in a cave :)
Piper willow and Bristol are completely involved and the whole family is cashing in on moms ignorance its freaking funny as hell. It's hysterical to watch cause the crash is gonna be so awesome. Willow is already trying to sneak boys into her room following her unwed teenage mom drama sister Bristol..

I would hope no one judged my parents on how i acted as a teenager perhaps you were a egghead and stayed in your room studying but odds are you were just as wild as me, My main goal was to get in a girls bedroom, Drive my MC as fast as it could go and inhabit bars in NY where the drinking age was lower.

oznabrag
01-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Once again we see the Left using "we", and the, totally clueless to their actions, Right using "FU". It's just incredible. It's one thing to try and communicate to a child with his fingers in his ears. But quite another when that ignorant little brat has guns too. This isnt going well.

'Bout sums it up for me.

oznabrag
01-12-2011, 08:07 PM
This thread is a perfect example of the inflamed hate-filled rhetoric the left claims to abhor.

Good job, Ian.

Yes, the righties sure are doing what they do best!

What do you care, Donn? The sooner our Nation descends into political chaos, the sooner you and all your so-called 'Republican' buddies can set up your own little fiefdoms, and torture your subjects without fear of recrimination.

It's well-known here that you don't give a rip for the Constitution, and that you approve of torture, so what do you care, really?

Oh, wait. I see. You're here to fan the flames a little and make sure you do your part to send the country down the tubes.

You're a pip!

bobbys
01-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Oh please your not an idiot failing up media whore, who USES her family for a reality show, so you have nothing to worry about.

My God how do some people have such huge blinders to the obvious ????.

Its Obvious and a bit sad your the first person to drag her children into this..

bobbys
01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Dude WAKE UP Sarah was the first..

Yes I remember when she had the Nerve to bring her kids to the Convention as if Teens wanted to go..

I guess that gave you and late night Comediennes the green attack light .

I also Remember President Obama saying leave the Family out of this.

oznabrag
01-12-2011, 08:21 PM
A keeper! Proves my point.

My statement does nothing to prove your point, you're just playing stupid junior-high-school neener-neener games.

When's the last time you even had a point, Donn?

BrianW
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I'd say there was no new height to reach, when it comes to liberals hate for Palin. She lost no ground with them.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 08:23 PM
I'd say that using the phrase 'blood libel', expecially at this particular moment in time, elevates it to a new height.Ian elevated this madness when he started this thread.

Tom Montgomery
01-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Sarah is not an anti-Semite. She is simply a tone-deaf moron.

Stick a fork in her. She's done.

Tom Montgomery
01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd say there was no new height to reach, when it comes to liberals hate for Palin. She lost no ground with them.

Replace the word "hate" with the word "revulsion" and we agree.

Sarah is sunk because the independents who determine national election results are increasingly viewing her as a freak and media whore/celebrity along the lines of Lohan, Spears and Hilton. A fascinating personality but not to be taken seriously.

As a liberal Democrat I pray that Palin runs for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Not so. In fact the right are making as much noise as anyone about Sarah Palin. In the same way that they made a fuss over that other deluded witch, Christine O'Donnell.

It's a convenient distraction, it takes the heat away from any other party members that might have made an embarrassing faux pas during the last year. Notice, if anyone mentions Sharron Angle, Michelle Bachman or Rand Paul the right start shouting about Sarah Palin.

It also gives you a wonderful opportunity to play martyr to the far right, like you just did.This sickness is all on the left, you can try to shift the blame, but that just makes you look foolish, and exposes your inability to think, analyze, or comprehend what is in front of you on every page. Also your marriage to ideology prevents you from critiquing constructively the faults you see, better to dig in and defend this madness, try to deflect, huh?

Tom Montgomery
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM

Gotta make hay while you can, right?

To whom are you referring?

oznabrag
01-12-2011, 08:49 PM
This sickness is all on the left, you can try to shift the blame, but that just makes you look foolish, and exposes your inability to think, analyze, or comprehend what is in front of you on every page. Also your marriage to ideology prevents you from critiquing constructively the faults you see, better to dig in and defend this madness, try to deflect, huh?

My god.

I've known for many years that the Right has adopted the practice of abusers known as 'projection', but this takes the cake!

I have never seen anyone describe his self-loathing more accurately.

What a miserable piece of work you are, sir. A miserable piece of work!

Chip-skiff
01-12-2011, 08:58 PM
I sort of agree, but wouldn't go so far as to say "miserable piece of work."

Sickness is pretty well distributed across the ideological spectrum.

Silly, yes. Foolish, yes.

Blinkered? Without a doubt.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Gotta make hay while you can, right?:D:Dthanks for the humor, never hurts to laugh,

Chris Coose
01-12-2011, 10:07 PM
She's finished.

pefjr
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
She's finished.Ask Norm if he is finished with her. Ask the crazies if they are finished with her. Then ask yourself why you keep repeating yourself.

RichKrough
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I said a couple of days ago that if Sarah keeps her mouth shut this will blow over in a week. Nope! she barely made it 48 hours before ending her political career with a dumb choice of words. Good riddance!

Maybe the serious presidential candidates from the GOP will get some attention for a change

George Jung
01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
First off, not defending SP...

but my take is, if SP kept a low profile, she would've caught crap about it.

And if she spoke out, she'd catch hell for that, as well. No way to win that one.

rbgarr
01-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Sarah is not an anti-Semite. She is simply a tone-deaf moron.

Stick a fork in her. She's done.

Maybe she's done. Maybe. But she may just go on sucking up the oxygen for other presidential prospects no matter what she does.

perldog007
01-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Here's a more important question: what if she gave a gracious and heartfelt speech about the tragedy, sympathizing with the victims and the families, instead of making it 'all about me'?

Think about it.

A good question to reflect on vis a vis the chuckleheads who rushed to judgement to pin this on her as well, too, also.

jsjpd1
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
I believe we can be better. Those who died here, those who saved lives here --they help me believe. We may not be able to stop all evil in the world, but I know that how we treat one another is entirely up to us. I believe that for all our imperfections, we are full of decency and goodness, and that the forces that divide us are not as strong as those that unite us. That's what I believe, in part because that's what a child like Christina Taylor Green believed. Imagine: here was a young girl who was just becoming aware of our democracy; just beginning to understand the obligations of citizenship; just starting to glimpse the fact that someday she too might play a part in shaping her nation's future. She had been elected to her student council; she saw public service as something exciting, something hopeful. She was off to meet her congresswoman, someone she was sure was good and important and might be a role model. She saw all this through the eyes of a child, undimmed by the cynicism or vitriol that we adults all too often just take for granted.

I want us to live up to her expectations. I want our democracy to be as good as she imagined it. All of us -- we should do everything we can to make sure this country lives up to our children's expectations.

From Obama's speech at the memorial today. I think we all need to take the lesson.

Jim

Meli
01-13-2011, 05:32 AM
It matters none, nada what Palin does or says, the looney left with criticize it and her anyway. If there is anyone on the left that is not irrational about this lady please come forward, if for no other reason than to prove me wrong.

I actually know several Americans (Republicans) who are pretty right of the centre (and who are pro guns) who think SP is "dumb as owl s-hit" and a dangerous joke.

Can you seriously put your hand on your heart and the other on the flag and tell me that you really think this woman has the intelligence, balance and diplomatic strength needed to become the leader of "the free world" ?

I really would like a simple yes or no

BrianW
01-13-2011, 06:33 AM
It was a good speech. The term blood libel has been used out of context numerous times in the past. Hardly a big deal. If that's all liberals have to hang their hat on concerning this speech, I'm impressed.

Meli
01-13-2011, 06:37 AM
I actually know several Americans (Republicans) who are pretty right of the centre (and who are pro guns) who think SP is "dumb as owl s-hit" and a dangerous joke.

Can you seriously put your hand on your heart and the other on the flag and tell me that you really think this woman has the intelligence, balance and diplomatic strength needed to become the leader of "the free world" ?

I really would like a simple yes or no

It was a good speech. The term blood libel has been used out of context numerous times in the past. Hardly a big deal. If that's all liberals have to hang their hat on concerning this speech, I'm impressed.

No takers then?

paul oman
01-13-2011, 08:25 AM
The winner of the most cretinous statement of 2011 -- and the list is now closed, so please hold your submissions -- is MSNBC's Chris Matthews, who on Monday night recalled Palin's statement, "We're not retreating, we're reloading," and said, I quote, "THAT'S not a metaphor."

Really, Chris? If that's not a metaphor, who did she shoot?

Y Bar Ranch
01-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Here's a more important question: what if she gave a gracious and heartfelt speech about the tragedy, sympathizing with the victims and the families, instead of making it 'all about me'?

Think about it.
What if up front the liberal punditocracy had made gracious and heartfelt statements about the tragedy, sympathizing with the victims and the families, instead of making it 'all about her'?

Think about it.

Dutch
01-13-2011, 08:42 AM
If any one is guilty of anything its probably her speech writer being guilty of plagerism - wasnt this thing started with an article printed in the WSJ?

can any of you honestly say you had heard this term prior to this? Then why are you offended?

pefjr
01-13-2011, 08:58 AM

No, but that's not the issue. BTW I made the mistake of using that "leader of the free world" once and spent the next three days and 7 pages defending it from Brits, Aussies, Canucks, etc.

Meli
01-13-2011, 03:32 PM
No, but that's not the issue. BTW I made the mistake of using that "leader of the free world" once and spent the next three days and 7 pages defending it from Brits, Aussies, Canucks, etc.

Ah, but we understand our use of inverted commas. :D

PhaseLockedLoop
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
The winner of the most cretinous statement of 2011 -- and the list is now closed, so please hold your submissions -- is MSNBC's Chris Matthews, who on Monday night recalled Palin's statement, "We're not retreating, we're reloading," and said, I quote, "THAT'S not a metaphor."

Really, Chris? If that's not a metaphor, who did she shoot?

You're right about this one, and Matthews wins for sure.

Ian McColgin
01-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Dutch is right in #116: Glenn Reynolds, an eccentric libertarian who usually writes about law for Mechanics Illustrated and supports both gay marriage and gun ownership, had blood libel as a colorful throwaway line in a column in Monday's WSJ.

I found the column more than a bit shrill though considerably more tasteful than the remarks of that Tea Party official who called for manufactored rhetoric to blame liberals for the shooting. His fundamental point that liberals were piling on with the sort of judgementalism they'd decried in the wake of the Fort Hood shootings was, after all, correct.

If you read her speach and the article, you might conclude from the phrasing and placement that Reynolds was drawing a point, albeit a nudge extremely, while Palin was lashing out expressly to further polarize people.

perldog007
01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
I said a couple of days ago that if Sarah keeps her mouth shut this will blow over in a week. Nope! she barely made it 48 hours before ending her political career with a dumb choice of words. Good riddance!

Maybe the serious presidential candidates from the GOP will get some attention for a change

I hope I don't ever have to discuss with my son that his CIC is Palin, but I'm not that concerned. She's in media, politics didn't work out so well for her beyond Mayor. Remember?

I give her/media career a better shot thanOlbermanns, Matthews, Maddow, ( checked the ratings lately?) . Just sayin'... Don't know why you think it would blow over when the left kept piling on while ignoring their own bomb throwers... Rule #1, if you're tired of the shiz, STOP SHIZZIN" (citizen)

That's number one, number two Palin makes her cheese as a media pundit/commentator. Why would she want it blow over? She's whipping up ratings just like the MSNBC crowd, Krugman, etceteras. Try to keep up yo.

johnw
01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If any one is guilty of anything its probably her speech writer being guilty of plagerism - wasnt this thing started with an article printed in the WSJ?

can any of you honestly say you had heard this term prior to this? Then why are you offended?
I thought everyone knew about this, and its link to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Can you honestly say you'd never hear the term prior to this?

Osborne Russell
01-13-2011, 04:19 PM
No, but that's not the issue.

It's precisely the issue. The right wants to make her my President; or someone even more doll-like. And all you can say is, so what?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Did she even go to the memorial service?

perldog007
01-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Dutch is right in #116: Glenn Reynolds, an eccentric libertarian who usually writes about law for Mechanics Illustrated and supports both gay marriage and gun ownership, had blood libel as a colorful throwaway line in a column in Monday's WSJ.

I found the column more than a bit shrill though considerably more tasteful than the remarks of that Tea Party official who called for manufactored rhetoric to blame liberals for the shooting. His fundamental point that liberals were piling on with the sort of judgementalism they'd decried in the wake of the Fort Hood shootings was, after all, correct.

If you read her speach and the article, you might conclude from the phrasing and placement that Reynolds was drawing a point, albeit a nudge extremely, while Palin was lashing out expressly to further polarize people.

. Palin is a commentator. She has about as much interest in calming folks down as Olbermann, for the exact same reason. ( Ratings, $$$, my little chickadees ) I always feel calm and soothed after each "special comment" don't you? :rolleyes:

I guess you feel that the rush to judgement by the left on this one was healing and unifying? Or do you respect Palin so much that you hold her to a higher standard than those lowlifes on the left? Or maybe you only feel compelled to point out what you see as bad acts when it comes from the right?

Would Palin's speech even have happened without the slanderous attack from that Democratic Sheriff which were expanded upon and run with by the left without any regard for the victims and their loved ones?

But we won't talk about that, that might gore our ox right? Let's focus on what a horrible person Palin is.

Barack Obama is our President. His speech was healing and not designed to further polarize people. President... Pundit. I can elaborate further if necessary.

it's "speech" ( Sorry Donn, I'm freelancing again, I know. )

Osborne Russell
01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
. . . do you respect Palin so much that you hold her to a higher standard than those lowlifes on the left?

She's held to the standard of a President of the United States.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, apparently Rush Limbaugh called the memorial service a "Pep Rally".

Hot Air
01-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Might have been the T-shirts and the wild cheering.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Then by all means make Sarah and Rush running mates next time around.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Hot air..... quite appropriate really.

Hot Air
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Even Rachel Maddow questioned the cheering.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Sniff'' Sniff''' smells like someone left wet shoes on the heat register...

Pugwash
01-13-2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kfcEga0lk&feature=player_embedded

BETTY-B
01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Well, her DP certainly knows how to put a 1000 watt softbox in the shot. Make-up was a real pro though. You really have to look to see the scales.

Y Bar Ranch
01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9kfcEga0lk&feature=player_embedded

That is just plain stalker-ish weird that someone went to the trouble to make that video.

Dan McCosh
01-13-2011, 05:48 PM

FWIW, Mechanics Illustrated hasn't been published for 27 years.

Ian McColgin
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
My bad. It's Popular Mechanics his bio mentions. By the way, any one else read his WSJ piece? It's on-line.