PDA

View Full Version : Cough Reflex

Joe (SoCal)
01-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Can it be controlled ?
I'm on my second sleepless night with a bad cold / flu who the hell knows, except I either wake up in a pool of fevered sweat or shivering mercilessly.

Developed this dry cough that builds as I try to suppress it. I honestly spent all of last night analyzing the mechanics of a cough as I tried to mentally suppress it. It builds with a little microscopic cracking sound that developed into a wheeze the little cracking sounds eventually build then level off. At this point it's pure will power, I clench my teeth and purse my lips but I never win for long.

Also when I do get an ounce of real sleep I don't cough why is that?

Bruce Taylor
01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Can it be controlled ?
I'm on my second sleepless night with a bad cold / flu who the hell knows, except I rather wake up in a pool of fevered sweat or shivering mercilessly.

Developed this dry cough that builds as I try to suppress it. I honestly spent all of last night analyzing the mechanics of a cough as I tried to mentally suppress it. It builds with a little microscopic cracking sound that developed into a wheeze the little cracking sounds eventually build then level off. At this point it's pure will power, I clench my teeth and purse my lips but I never win for long.

Also when I do get an ounce of real sleep I don't cough why is that?

It's a big problem for me, during fall allergy/asthma season. I use codeine.

Chris Coose
01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
I honestly spent all of last night analyzing the mechanics of a cough as I tried to mentally suppress it.
How's that work for explosions on the other end?
Bruce has got the proper prescription. When I lived in Mexico I used to get 85% codeine cough syrup over the counter. Knocked bout everything down.

Dutch
01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
used to have terrible couughs as a kid - codeine was all that would touch it

do you use a humidifier? it could help a good bit.

Joe (SoCal)
01-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Well the zen mind control thing ain't working. Ya can't get good cough syrup over the counter no more :(

Tristan
01-12-2011, 08:10 AM
As a career asthmatic (I've had asthma for 73 years) when I had a cold I used to sleep on a mattress in the living room so my coughing wouldn't disturb my wife in the bedroom. I now use Advair daily (once each evening) and voila, no more coughing. Alas, it's an inhaled combination of steroid and vasodialator, prescription only, and pretty heavy duty for just an ordinary cough. If your cough is part allergy Claritin or Benedryl might help but they tend to dry out the respiratory passages, not good if it's a cold/flu. Good luck.

Bruce Taylor
01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
I now use Advair daily (once each evening) and voila, no more coughing.

I've had cough-variant asthma for a long time, and take Flovent (like Advair, but without the "rescue inhaler" ventolin component).

Even so, when the big allergies hit (mostly in the fall...probably basidiospores in the woods around here) I cough day and night for a month and a half. Suppressing the cough tickle with opiates gets me a night's sleep.

Joe, if you can find a doc who'll phone in a codeine prescription, I think it'll help tamp down the reflex. If I couldn't get it at the drugstore, I'd be growing ornamental poppies. ;)

BrianW
01-12-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd try the brandy, honey, lime juice, hot water combo. Heavy on the brandy. ;)

Bruce Taylor
01-12-2011, 09:00 AM
I'd try the brandy, honey, lime juice, hot water combo. Heavy on the brandy. ;)

That's almost certainly what Joe will do. And he'll take a picture of himself drinking it by that cozy bedside fire, and post it to this thread. ;)

You could do worse. :)

paul oman
01-12-2011, 09:02 AM
have you been attached recently by zombies? I understand the transformation can be uncomfortable.

Garret
01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
I have just recently gotten past a nasty cold with a dry cough component that sounds like yours. I found that Robitussin DM worked really well - but had to stop after about 5 days, as the cough switched over to a productive one & I wanted the phlegm outa there!

The thing that suppresses the cough is dextromethorphan - so there might be other cough syrups that have it as well.

Feel better soon!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Put down the cigar and pop one of these.

http://s10.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Fishermans-Friend-Menthol_438E3333.jpg

Hwyl
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm still smiling at Tess' comment on your facebook page
D hes being overly dramatic he just has the flu hes not "dyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeing"

"as ye sow so shall ye reap"

paladin
01-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Get some coricidin and robotussin every 4 hours and some lemon herb Ricola cough drops. That's the only thing that let me sleep.

Joe (SoCal)
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Just did a mind cough suppression long enough to allow complete exhaustion take over and got about an hour of sleep.

BrianW
01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Put down the cigar and pop one of these.

http://s10.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Fishermans-Friend-Menthol_438E3333.jpg

Never seen them in the cool tin cans. Alway get mine in a waxy type bag. I've even bought them in an Italian PX in Afghanistan.

Bruce Taylor
01-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Never seen them in the cool tin cans..

Me neither. I seem to be addicted to them. Original extra-strong.

htom
01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Pneumonia and influenza kill about 100,000 people a year in the USA. Go to the doctor, fix the problem rather than sugar-coating the symptom.

ARW123
01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Bizarre - just come back from the quack minutes ago for the exactly same thing....

No. 1 Read Htom's post above.
No. 2 Acid reflux ? sounds odd but is likely diagnosis for my convulsions.
No. 3 Ignore amature and internet diagnoses such as No.2 and refer to No. 1