PDA

View Full Version : Wikileaks:Treat incitement seriously or expect more Gabrielle Gifford killing sprees

seanz
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Says Julian Assange. Not that he has anything to worry about.......

Article here.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/assange-concerned-at-murder-talk-20110111-19mmy.html

In a statement issued in the early hours via Twitter under the headline "Wikileaks: Treat incitement seriously or expect more Gabrielle Gifford killing sprees", Mr Assange said that no organisation anywhere in the world was a more devoted advocate of free speech than Wikileaks.
"But when senior politicians and attention seeking media commentators call for specific individuals or groups of people to be killed they should be charged with incitement - to murder.Those who call for an act of murder deserve as significant share of the guilt as those raising a gun to pull the trigger," he said.
"WikiLeaks has many young staff, volunteers and supporters in the same geographic vicinity as these the broadcast or circulation of these incitements to kill. We have also seen mentally unstable people travel from the US and other counties to other locations. Consequently we have to engage in extreme security measures.
"We call on US authorities and others to protect the rule of law by aggressively prosecuting these and similar incitements to kill. A civil nation of laws can not have prominent members of society constantly calling for the murder and assassination of other individuals or groups."
In the one-page statement, Mr Assange also offered sympathy and condolences to the victims of the Tucson shooting on behalf of Wikileaks, together with best wishes for the recovery of US Representative Gabrielle Giffords. the Democrat from Arizona's 8th district who was the target of the shooting spree in which six others, including a nine year old girl, were killed.
He also quoted Tucson Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, who is leading the investigation into the shooting, who said that "vitriolic rhetoric" intended to ”inflame the public on a daily basis ... has [an] impact on people, especially who are unbalanced personalities to begin with.”

seanz
01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't think Julian Assange is offering anything of value to this discussion, at this point.

No? After I read the article the first thing that came to mind was Rushdie's translators.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, my new neighbour was in court again today for a committal hearing to set the date for the extradition hearing, which I sincerely hope he wins.

Several people in the United States have enquired who might rid them of this turbulent hacker, of course, so I think he has quite a bit to contribute.

Y Bar Ranch
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think Julian Assange is offering anything of value to this discussion, at this point.

Can't help himself. Once an attention ho, always an attention ho.