PDA

View Full Version : I am the father ...

botebum
01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
I am the father of a young child.
My child could have been the 9 year old child that had her life cut short by a gunman's bullet on Saturday.
She wasn't.
I'm lucky.
I still have my daughter.
There's a man out there that can't say that.
A father has lost his daughter forever.
He will never see her again.

Talk about the things you want to.
That child is still
Dead.

Doug

Dutch
01-11-2011, 12:19 AM
sober up

botebum
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM
sober upI'm sober.
Do you know the word "anguish"

Doug

botebum
01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
I can not imagine losing my child. The pain involved would be intolerable.
A man had to deal with that.
It wasn't you, Dutch.
You might feel thankful for that.

Doug

ramillett
01-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately that father is part of a large and growing group :(

The Bigfella
01-11-2011, 12:56 AM
I have absolutely no intention of going back and doing the research again, but as I recall it, it was in the thousands every year. Such a senseless loss of life.

botebum
01-11-2011, 12:57 AM
Unfortunately that father is part of a large and growing group :(True in too many ways.

Doug

botebum
01-11-2011, 01:00 AM
I have absolutely no intention of going back and doing the research again, but as I recall it, it was in the thousands every year. Such a senseless loss of life.Is "one" enough to matter?

Children. That's what they are. Just children.

Doug

The Bigfella
01-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Yes, one is enough to matter. Trouble is, there are thousands - and I don't believe it will change over there. Now's perhaps the best time to try though. Try for some sensible improvements. It doesn't mean taking people's guns away - it means implementing sensible gun safety legislation.

I owned five guns before our gun legislation changed 15 years ago. I still own four of them. The moves we made were sensible. I have friends who shoot handguns, I shoot air rifles, centre fire and rimfire - long arms only though.

botebum
01-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Thank you for posting Ian,
My daughter, if she chooses to do so, will have the opportunity own and shoot a .357 magnum, handed down from her father to her. A family heirloom as it were.
This weapon, while being property of her family, has not been involved in any crime whatsoever.
Can't see any reason why she shouldn't have it.
You?

Doug

botebum
01-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Now that Ian and I are off on a tangent that is not related to the thread as I wished ... would anyone care to contribute?

Doug

The Bigfella
01-11-2011, 02:53 AM
I've enjoyed firing handguns in the past, but I'm more than happy to never have the opportunity to do so again. I don't think we need them and I'll pass on the opportunity to have that little bit of fun in order to have a safer society.

seanz
01-11-2011, 03:03 AM
.....I'll do the farthing around here.

We had a lot of coverage of the aftermath of the most recent mass-shooting on our news here.
I have a question.
When a child dies, why must we be shown (on the news) their grieving, distraught relatives? Does anybody think that people can have something as tragic as that happen in their lives and not be upset?
It's just intrusive and weird.

botebum
01-11-2011, 03:09 AM
[B]I have a question.
When a child dies, why must we be shown (on the news) their grieving, distraught relatives? Does anybody think that people can have something as tragic as that happen in their lives and not be upset?
It's just intrusive and weird.I honestly don't know.
I wouldn't allow the media into my life if I lost my child.
I've never understood it. I guess it's not necessarily an "American thing".
It's just a "thing".

Doug

Phil Y
01-11-2011, 03:13 AM
Oh a gun thread, thats new. Not holding my breath for a solution.
Phil

bobbys
01-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Now that Ian and I are off on a tangent that is not related to the thread as I wished ... would anyone care to contribute?

Doug.

Yes i would , I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child, Helping my wife in her teaching they are so innocent. My daughter though now 23 was the star of the whole family, When young her brothers carried her everywhere and fought to wake her up in the morn. This just sucks big time, I saw the parents being interviewed and though i could never do that The dad said his daughter woke him up every morn but not today, How sad..

seanz
01-11-2011, 03:15 AM

I don't think it's "allowing", the b'stards hound people for a story and the family appoints a spokesperson......someone once removed from the chaos.....but they knew the child.....so they crack-up on camera anyway.

And, yes, Phillip, it sells the advertising slots.

And Phillip, get any type of gun you want, you aren't going to shoot anybody, but that's not really the point.

LeeG
01-11-2011, 03:41 AM

Doug

serenity prayer, she's going to get older.

botebum
01-11-2011, 03:48 AM
serenity prayer, she's going to get older.The child that died will not,
Good night.

Doug

LeeG
01-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Doug, that's obvious. As a single dad of two young women who were nine once I was empathizing with you and maybe misinterpreting the intention of your post. My intention was to say do what you can and don't get consumed by fear.

AussieBarney
01-11-2011, 04:17 AM
My contribution? May the great spirit bless little children.They are the essence of beauty and innocence. they are the focus of my professional life and my private life. It was with disbelief and sadness I heard the news. My heart aches for the mum and dad of the little girl invovled.

stevebaby
01-11-2011, 04:28 AM
I honestly don't know.
I've never understood it. I guess it's not necessarily an "American thing".
It's just a "thing".

Doug

Doug,I used know someone who was shot dead.She was a lovely girl,just 18 years old,my sister's best friend and a good friend of mine. It destroyed her family,and it destroyed the family of the young man who did it. He was a very good shot who had been aroung guns all his life.His father was a long term member of a rifle club,who was concerned enough to lock up all their rifles before it happened. It wasn't enough. The young man simply walked into a gun shop and without even having to show ID,he bought another rifle and killed her. His father sold all his guns after the fact. He was by all accounts a very decent man,and he blamed himself for what had happened,since he was the one who had taught the killer to shoot so well. It wasn't his fault of course.
I had a few friends who died tragically young,and a few who have lost their kids. I've had to make the calls that no cop ever wants to make,to tell parents that their child has died sensellessly,and I've carried a drowned child's body to an ambulance.
These things are never forgotten,nor should they be. Death is sadly,part of life,but if you beat yourself up every time a child dies in an incident such as the one we've just seen,you'll go crazy,and your kids don't need a crazy father.
Hold your kids tight,now and always. There will be a lot of parents around the world doing the same thing.
It's all we can do sometimes.

Bill R
01-11-2011, 04:33 AM
Botebum- I think I understand what you are getting at. I have twins, a boy and a girl, the same age as the girl in Tuscon. They are my life. I couldn't imagine losing them, especially like that.

Meli
01-11-2011, 05:03 AM
You really are a weird mob.
here we have a father, pening a plea for the love of little children.
And the next minuite hoping his daughter will be able to use his heirloom handgun when she grows up.

I am sure that you all love children, even those that are not your own.

BUT I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND AMERICANS, YOUr NUTS

Hand guns were invented to KILL PEOPLE WITH.hello hello, these are not hunting rifles, they are intended to shoot people (including grandma's granpas and little kids)
BANG BANG they are not amusing toys
It you have a sentimental heirloom, disable it and mount it on the wall FFS (dont forget to spray with lanolin to prevent rust)

JEEEEZ

JUST THINK ABOUT IT, PROBABLY EVERY FATHER OF EVERY MASS MUDERER, NEVER THOUGHT HIS CHILD WOULD USE A GUN TO KILL A CHILD

LeeG
01-11-2011, 05:08 AM
You really are a weird mob.

hey, a mob didn't start this thread. Watch where you're spraying those characterizations.

Meli
01-11-2011, 05:16 AM
hey, a mob didn't start this thread. Watch where you're spraying those characterizations.

:D it's Australian vernicular for a related bunch of people

seanz
01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
:D it's Australian vernicular for a related bunch of people

And what a peculiar vernacular it is...

Meli
01-11-2011, 05:32 AM
:p OK I can't spell

Andrew Craig-Bennett
01-11-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm another parent (parenthood is quite a common condition, I find) and I would certainly react badly should any harm come to my children.

I do own an air rifle, and my elder son has a Webley air pistol that was given him by his Hon. Uncle, Ian Wright. I am quite happy for the boys to practice target shooting; I have no strong views one way or t'other.

Meli
01-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Ah, you English do Phlegmatic sooooo well :D

Ed Harrow
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
Do you know the word "anguish"

Doug

It's a never-ending, torturous path, fraught with nasty and unexpected surprises; a path with which I am familiar. "There is the soul of goodness in things evil, would man but observingly distill it out." I hope that Sheryl and I have done so.

Chris Coose
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Touch the suffering of that moment in Tuson and it is very difficult to maintain equanimity.
What do you do with horror?

Dutch
01-12-2011, 08:59 AM
What do you do with horror?

Make a movie? Sell it to the public as news for as long as you can? Use it for votes?

In other words - you milk it - may sound crass but its just what is happening.

paul oman
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
nice to see the tender, gentle side to botebum...

paul oman
01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
we were all someone's 9 year old kid at some point -- keep that in mind all of you when your nasty streaks show.

Dutch
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
mine aint a streak, its a way of life

paul oman
01-12-2011, 02:58 PM
nice comeback Dutch!

guess you cannot have nice folks without nasty folks (both sides of the bell shaped curve).
But who says you're nasty? Maybe we need a vote!
(I'm snowed in, what's your excuse)?