PDA

View Full Version : Stimson Marine Ocean-Pointer

NHSC2
10-08-2000, 07:17 PM
Anyone have any experience building either one of these? I'm considering building either the Ocean-Pointer or a Simmons Sea Skiff. From what little I've read, the 19 1/2 ft ocean -pointer is quite a bit heavier than the comparable 20 ft. Simmons Sea Skiff (1,200 lbs vs 850 lbs). Any thoughts on the two types and their required horsepower? I'm a first time boat builder, but I have built a CLC 17 ft kayak and I'm an accomplished woodworker.

pretzel
02-24-2001, 07:43 PM
I just joined this forum & was reviewing all the posts for the past yr. hoping someone could clarify my questions. Seems as you have one similar to mine. I have plans for both. Of the two I favor the Simmons. I'm probably way off base but the Ocean Pointer started to feel more like a launch to me the more I studied the plans. The overall problem I have is that I just want to build one boat & I want to make the choice last without feeling another design would have been better. For that matter I have been agonizing over the way to build as well - stitch & glue vs. more traditional ways. At least that was helped by reading the comments in this forum. I'll go traditional. Now I just have to convince myself that the V bottom of a Simmons has it over any flat configuration. Hope you are having a better time of it than I am. Best Charlie

Thad
02-25-2001, 02:50 PM
Sounds to me like you're both having a good time and it's likely to get better.

Tom Beecroft
02-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Pretzel,

It doesn't matter what you build (or buy), you'll always look at other designs and wonder, and think, and lust after. That one has just a bit more storage, this one looks a bit more stable, wouldn't a small cabin be nice on days like today, etc etc etc.

Don't have personal experience with either one, but I can't figure out the advantage of the hole in the transom on the sea skiff.

My guess is the Pointer is heavier because it is strip planked, and appears to have more interior structures. Looks like it would hold up better under heavy use than the skiff, and probably last longer.

Also, if you're looking at traditional construction, do you have to make the bottom section of the Sea Skiff solid fiberglass? Seems like that would take a different set of skills than strip planking (or other wooden boat construction methods).

My uninformed $0.02

DaveD
02-26-2001, 03:05 PM
I have the plans for the Simmons Sea Skiff 18'. The Ocean Pointer looks like a nice boat also . Where did you find the plans? I will probably build the skiff as soon as I build the shed to empty all my other stuff out of the garage. I think the reason for the motor well on the Simmons was to give it a full transom. It was originally used by fisherman launching and returning through the NC surf.