PDA

View Full Version : Cold-molded hull for Haven 12 1/2

Bob B
12-22-2000, 04:17 PM
I'm a cabinet maker who would like to build a wooden boat, but I have no experience. I've readup on the subject and have decided that the Haven 12 1/2 would be the perfect boat. The problem is, that I will not be able to leave the boat in the water, so it will rest on a trailer most of the time. My understanding is that a carvel planked hull does not lend itself well in this application. The solution seems to be a cold-molded hull, probably the West System. The only plans that I know of, are for carvel planking. Does anyone know of a source for plans and information for building a cold-molded hull for the Haven 12 1/2?

Scott Rosen
12-23-2000, 07:44 AM
If you use the search engine feature of this forum, you'll find some posts with good links to amateur cold-molded Haven builders.

TomHaven12
12-23-2000, 06:20 PM
Have a look at the haven Builders Web Site: http://www.havenbuilders.com

frameshop
03-02-2001, 09:57 AM
Bob; I went through the same process as you when I wanted to build the 12 1/2. I finally used 1/4 cedar "canoe strips" which I got from an outfit in New Hampshire. I ran the strips longitudinally to get a fair shape and stapled "monel" the strips to the oak frames, with epoxy. I followed this up with 2 layers of 1/8 cedar at 45 degrees to the canoe trips and then another at 90 degrees. I finished the insides "bright" and the outsides with 6 oz cloth. I have been trailoring for 3 years between NJ and Cape Cod and she is still tight as a drum.