PDA

View Full Version : Small Rowing/Small Outboard Ocean Boat

EvanB
12-07-2000, 05:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any good plans or knew of any good sites that had plans for a small rowing or small outboard skiff. I want it to row around the small rivers and resoivors to fish for largmouth, and to buzz around little bays and troll. It only needs to be around 10'-12' but be able to handle a little chop. Thank you all

Aloha

Evan (ebouret@hotmail.com)

Todd Bradshaw
12-07-2000, 08:52 PM
There was an article on building a boat called the Westport Skiff (11', as I remember) by Robert Baker in WoodenBoat #32. It was simple, yet elegant at the same time. It used pretty wide planks for the sides, so you might have to substitute plywood, but I always thought it was a good looking, "function-dictates-design" kind of boat.

I doubt it would motor too well, but most of the boats that row nicely, don't. Conversely, the typical small motor boat that drags it's transom through the water isn't very good for rowing.

Keith Wilson
12-08-2000, 09:13 AM
Try Ken Swan's website - he has quite a few nice skiffs, power and oar http://www.swanboatdesign.com/index.html

Ian McColgin
12-08-2000, 09:38 AM
Check out Pete Culler's string of lovely outboards. In 'Pete Culler's Boats' ed by Burke.

Jim Hillman
12-08-2000, 09:45 AM
Try John Gardner's "The Dory Book". He has plans in it for a 12 foot modified dory built to rowed or driven by outboard.

Jim